Landing gear door operation

Old July 5th 03, 03:05 AM
Elliot Wilen

Default Landing gear door operation

In another online forum, it has been claimed that on the F-18, F-14,
F-4, and possibly F-8, A-7, A-6, and A-4, all the landing gear doors
stay open when the gear are extended. While typically (or at least in
most other military jets), some of the landing gear doors open only
during extension/retraction, and are closed while the gear are
extended.

Can anyone comment on the extent to which this is true? If so, there's
an obvious pattern of this characteristic appearing in fighter/attack
jets which were originally designed for the Navy. Is this due to Navy
"culture" or somehow related to a safety/reliability issue for
carrier-based operation? Or generally, is there some reason that some
jets are designed with gear doors that stay open, while others have
doors that close after the gear are extended? (The only reasons I've
seen that make sense are simplicity versus air drag and, in some
cases, ground clearance.)

Many thanks in advance.

--Elliot Wilen
Old July 5th 03, 04:56 AM
Larry

Sparky's got it correct on those two birds (EA-6B Prowler & A-6E Intruder).
I spent about half my career keeping those turds fixed so he could go
flying. I QA'd lots of late night "drop checks" at the Rock and afloat
making sure those gear doors worked as required.

Or generally, is there some reason that some
jets are designed with gear doors that stay open, while others have
doors that close after the gear are extended?

I can't speak for the others, but in the case of the Prowler, I understand
it was to address a low speed performance issue (as it was explained to a
groundpounder).

Is this due to Navy
"culture" or somehow related to a safety/reliability issue for
carrier-based operation?

Actually my gut tells me that due to the very demanding nature of carrier
landings (high angle of attack, high rate of descent, critical application
of power, etc, etc) I'd say that the pilot must have absolute control of the
aircraft and research has shown that closing the gear doors (whenever
possible) can contribute to smoother airflow and thus better
controllability. What a mouthfull. You got the idea.

the Prowler had a provision for
the forward gear doors to be opened on deck by the plane captain.

Gotta make sure there are no hydraulic leaks before you go off the pointy
end there Sparky. We want you all to make it a round trip you know!

Interesting looking back for a moment.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"Elmshoot" wrote in message
Elliot,
On the A-6 Intruder the forward gear doors stayed open when the gear was

down.
On the EA-6B the forward gear door was only open while the gear was in

transit
then it closed. When the gear was extended via the emergency gear

extention the
forward gear doors stayed open with a note in the Natops manual about

added
drag from the doors being open and higher fuel burn. The Prowler had

better
throttle response than the Intruder. However on speed was slightly on the

back
side of the power curve so the reducton of drag was felt to be warneted.
Now before you get your knickers in a twist, the Prowler had a provision

for
the forward gear doors to be opened on deck by the plane captain. So

almost all
pictures of the Prowler on deck will show the gear doors open. 1400 hrs in

the
A-6 and 2200 in the Prowler are my reference for the above.
I don't know of and have never heard of any conspierency for some standard
configuration for the gear doors. Frankly I have never even though about

the
question.
Sparky

Old July 5th 03, 05:42 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:54:46 GMT, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

very early T-38's used hydraulic powered "ailerons" on the main landing gear
doors to help retract the main gear in flight. The wing was so thin that
there wasn't much room for conventional retraction mechanism. Seemed to work
OK, but later models found room for conventional mechanism. Did it use a
shrink scheme to retract the oleo strut while the gear retracted??? Been a
while!

JSC, which flies T-38Bs, used the part of the MLG door on the gear to
increase the drag so they could chase the Orbiter. It had a spring
normally or something and they fixed it in place. If I knew where my
SETP proceedings were, I'd dig it out. The paper was by John McBride
and Dick Grey. It was probably given in about '79 or so.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN
Old July 5th 03, 01:15 PM
Robert Moore

Mary Shafer wrote
These are just the ones I've seen and can remember.

Perhaps you mis-remember about the B-747?

Bob Moore
PanAm (retired)
Old July 5th 03, 04:34 PM
Ed Rasimus

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

very early T-38's used hydraulic powered "ailerons" on the main landing gear
doors to help retract the main gear in flight. The wing was so thin that
there wasn't much room for conventional retraction mechanism. Seemed to work
OK, but later models found room for conventional mechanism. Did it use a
shrink scheme to retract the oleo strut while the gear retracted??? Been a
while!

Old Chief Lynn

Must have been very early. The airplane came into the inventory in '62
and I flew it in early '65 at Williams AFB. There were no "ailerons"
or movable parts on the MLG doors at that time. There was a
conventional compression strut and a 45 degree "drag link" that pushed
and pulled for extension/retraction hydraulically. The wing had no
bulges, such as on the F-4, to assist in housing the gear when
retracted. The gear strut fit in the wing thickness and the wheel/tire
assembly retracted into the underside of the fuselage.

We had an incident in my pilot training class in which one of the
German student (fully one-third of each UPT class at Willy was
German's enroute to the F-104 across town at Luke), apparently trying
some BFM tactics he had heard about, extended the gear at high speed
and high G load in a turn. The resultant over-stress of the assembly
sheared both MLG drag links leaving both gear unsupported and
braced--swinging freely back and forth in the bay.

A chase aircraft (the wing DO) visually inspected the damage and the
student was directed to make a controlled ejection over the base. We
had a procedure, flying off a CHD TACAN radial a set distance at 10k
MSL then ejecting. Both the student and the airplane landed within the
field boundary.

They could never prove the student error (actually student pilots
cannot make "pilot error" judgements) and he graduated on time and
went on to a Luftwaffe career flying the 104.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old July 5th 03, 04:58 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Shafer writes:
On 4 Jul 2003 19:05:44 -0700, (Elliot Wilen) wrote:

In another online forum, it has been claimed that on the F-18, F-14,
F-4, and possibly F-8, A-7, A-6, and A-4, all the landing gear doors
stay open when the gear are extended. While typically (or at least in
most other military jets), some of the landing gear doors open only
during extension/retraction, and are closed while the gear are
extended.

The F-111 MLG doors open, the gear extends, and the doors shut.
Mostly because otherwise these huge doors would be hanging out being
speedbrakes.

Well, on the 'Vark, the huge door _is_ the speedbrake. The F-111's
maingear retracting sequence is a wonder to behold.

F-4 doors stay open. So do F-15 and F-16 and B-52 doors. Ditto
YF-12, SR-71, T-33, F-104, X-15, F-18, CV-990, A-7, F-8, KingAir,
B-747, B-1, B-2, F-117, B-57, and U-2. Also Lear 24 and 25. And the
Orbiter. These are just the ones I've seen and can remember.

I'd say it's not most, military or otherwise.

It seems to depend on who's making the airplane. North American
products (P-51,various F-86s/FJs, the F-100, etc. have doors over the
wheel wells that are normally closed except when cycling the gear.
Boeing airliners since the 367-80 are the same way (Except for the
737, no wheel well doors), iirc. Some others may have, as well. I
don't remember about DC-8s & 9s.

--
Pete Stickney

A point of note on the P51 at least, is that when you parked the airplane,
(especially on a hot concrete ramp) you ALWAYS wanted to pull the emergency
fairing door release handle, which eased the pressure in the hydraulic
system and allowed the doors to open and hang. If you ever see a civilian
owned 51 parked on a hot ramp somewhere with the doors up, you will probably
see leaking hydraulic fluid under it ,as well as it's rich but not too
bright pilot walking around with a rather large bill from Aeroquip Hose
Inc., sticking out of his flight suit pocket!!!! :-))))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI
Retired

Old July 5th 03, 06:03 PM
Lynn Coffelt

"Pechs1" wrote Or USAF...I don't know of any US military
fighter that had doors that closed
after the LG were down, ala an airliner..F-15, Century series fighters,

etc.

No reason to...to close some doors..maybe some airline puque can say why

some
airliners DO have some dorrs that close-to save fuel???

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Hmmmm, Didn't some (or maybe all) F-86 series retract the nose gear
door after the nose gear extended? The reason, I believe, was that the huge
door was an aerodynamic hindarance to "slipping" and a liability during
crosswind landings. Kind of like a big fin on the pointy end.
Seem to remember we "dirty fingernailed" having to hit a switch or
position a valve before the engine "spooled down" or restart the engine to
get the door down. (for postflight inspection, etc)
Old Chief Lynn

Old July 6th 03, 04:51 AM
Paul Hirose

Mary Shafer wrote:

The F-111 MLG doors open, the gear extends, and the doors shut.
Mostly because otherwise these huge doors would be hanging out being
speedbrakes.

F-4 doors stay open. So do F-15 and F-16 and B-52 doors. Ditto
YF-12, SR-71, T-33, F-104, X-15, F-18, CV-990, A-7, F-8, KingAir,
B-747, B-1, B-2, F-117, B-57, and U-2. Also Lear 24 and 25. And the
Orbiter. These are just the ones I've seen and can remember.

Not all the B-1 and B-2 doors remain open.

B-1 main gear doors open to allow the gear to drop, then close after
the gear is extended.

The B-2 nose gear door closes after the gear is down. This is possible
because the door is two pieces. The piece that covers the forward
portion of the nose gear well is rigidly mounted on the nose strut.
The strut's pivot point is at the far forward end of the nose well,
thus the "clamshell" covering the rear can be shut when the strut
assumes a vertical position.

It would be impossible to do this with the B-2 main gear, since each
of those doors is one piece.

At the end of a mission the B-2 nose door is opened before engine
shutdown so maintenance can easily access this area. That's why you
always see it open in ground photos. The door is closed after engine
start on the next mission. The switch that operates the door is on a
control panel attached to the nose gear strut.

--

Paul Hirose