A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flarm picking up my transponder

Old April 27th 20, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Flarm picking up my transponder

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 3:10:51 PM UTC+2, Rob Cluxton wrote:
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed befo

My PowerFlarm core (LX9000) is picking up my Mode-S transponder as traffic about a mile out, same altitude. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Cluxton
4D

As was mentioned correctly, if you have v7.00 installed, please downgrade to v6.83, as there is an issue with the detection of the own XPDR. If you don't use Mode-C (MODEC=0), then 7.00 should be fine, too.

Also mentioned, v7.00 detected a tow train situation with the tug only outputting ADS-B (not FLARM).

FLARMNet does not influence alarm behavior.

This, unfortunately, puts us into the position where we cannot currently offer a fix for the tow train alarms. We are working on a fix, though we rely on a supplier to fix their stuff first.

- Urban, FLARM
Old April 27th 20, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

So Urban, Does that mean my tow alarm will return? Ive recently updated my powerflarm with the latest version, as of Feburary 2020 as requested by Dave Nadler to be compatible with the latest version of the SN10B software that was also updated at that time.

CH
Old April 27th 20, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:05:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
So Urban, Does that mean my tow alarm will return? Ive recently updated my
powerflarm with the latest version, as of Feburary 2020 as requested by
Dave Nadler to be compatible with the latest version of the SN10B software
that was also updated at that time.

If you upgraded to 7.00, a downgrade to 6.83 is recommended.
It will be fine with SN10.
Shortly I'll have SN10 v2.47 out...
Old April 27th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi Dave, I don't know which software version is in the power farm right now whatever was on their website in January but I'll let you know and report back here after flying next weekend. Some of the tow planes have a ADSB out at Estrella Another interesting note about the first gen Powerflarm butterfly display is it shows its software version on startup it does not show the PF version even when I hit the "push for boot info" button. I would replace the display but I really like having a dedicated PF display and have no extra room in the panel

CH
Old April 27th 20, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

No slight on you Dave, "to err is human, to truly 'F up' requires a computer".
So states a "beta boy" from my old company I worked for. I worked company field service, thus got beta releases....our job, bang on it and give good feedback to programmers for changes/fixes....level listened to was....meaningful feedback to programmers on issues beyond, "it don't work"....

Programmers do stuff, even good programmers don't see a conflict until later.....thus beta peeps...I know, my wife is a high level programmer (30+ years) with "wishy washy" requirements, followed by "beta testing" but never done....then release and the poop storm happens.
Sigh.....
Old April 27th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:30:13 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
So states a "beta boy" from my old company I worked for. I worked company field service, thus got beta releases....our job, bang on it and give good feedback to programmers for changes/fixes....level listened to was....meaningful feedback to programmers on issues beyond, "it don't work"....

Programmers do stuff, even good programmers don't see a conflict until later.....thus beta peeps...I know, my wife is a high level programmer (30+ years) with "wishy washy" requirements, followed by "beta testing" but never done....then release and the poop storm happens.
Sigh.....

Reading the confusion about Flarm, and comments I hear from users here at Minden, I recommend US glider pilots to put future money into adsb, not flarm.
Old April 28th 20, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 3:39:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:30:13 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Sigh.....

Reading the confusion about Flarm, and comments I hear from users here at Minden, I recommend US glider pilots to put future money into adsb, not flarm.

ADS-B has not been widely adopted in the gliding community, whereas Flarm has. Personally, I have both, but I am the rare exception. If you do want ADS-B you will need to install a Mode-S transponder and certified GPS receiver (your flight computer will not do). I went with the Trig TT-22 and the TN-72 (the TT-21 will not suffice). Still, it took some time to properly setup the TT-22 to transmit the properly encoded messages.

Tom
Old April 28th 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I both agree and disagree with Tom.

The TN72 is not ADS-B in a certificated ship, TABS only there.Â* If your
ship is Experimental, TN72 works just fine as ADS-B Out. Configuration
takes all of 10 minutes if you're slow, but you have to have all your
numbers at hand, e.g., length and width of your aircraft, antenna offset
(left/right) from the longitudinal axis and distance from the nose, and
airspeed range.Â* That's pretty much it.

I configured a system for my Experimental gyro plane kit which should be
delivered this week.Â* I set it up in the living room window which is in
view of an ADS-B tower.Â* As the gyro plane is an EAB aircraft, the TN72
is a legal ADS-B out system.Â* Oh, and I used a TA50 antenna.Â* It's about
half the size of a standard size puck antenna, works great, and costs
about a quarter or less than the gigantic antenna which is mounted
inside of the Stemme.

I have ADS-B (TT22 and TN70) in the Stemme and a PowerFlarm portable and
it works just great.Â* The only thing favoring Flarm in my opinion is the
trend analysis and collision alert capability which doesn't work with
ADS-B targets, only with Flarm targets.Â* My buddy has ADS-B only and I
constantly get alerts when we fly near each other even on parallel or
divergent paths.Â* BUT with the long range capability of ADS-B (I watched
a soaring friend over 26 miles away on my Flarm View display), there's
plenty of situational awareness and I find the collision alarms unnecessary.

On 4/27/2020 7:15 PM, 2G wrote:

Sigh.....

ADS-B has not been widely adopted in the gliding community, whereas Flarm has. Personally, I have both, but I am the rare exception. If you do want ADS-B you will need to install a Mode-S transponder and certified GPS receiver (your flight computer will not do). I went with the Trig TT-22 and the TN-72 (the TT-21 will not suffice). Still, it took some time to properly setup the TT-22 to transmit the properly encoded messages.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 28th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Urban
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:59:42 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 3:10:51 PM UTC+2, Rob Cluxton wrote:
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed befo

My PowerFlarm core (LX9000) is picking up my Mode-S transponder as traffic about a mile out, same altitude. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Cluxton
4D

As was mentioned correctly, if you have v7.00 installed, please downgrade to v6.83, as there is an issue with the detection of the own XPDR. If you don't use Mode-C (MODEC=0), then 7.00 should be fine, too.

Also mentioned, v7.00 detected a tow train situation with the tug only outputting ADS-B (not FLARM).

FLARMNet does not influence alarm behavior.

This, unfortunately, puts us into the position where we cannot currently offer a fix for the tow train alarms. We are working on a fix, though we rely on a supplier to fix their stuff first.

- Urban, FLARM

Sorry, I wasn't precise: 7.00 adds suppression from a ADS-B-only *glider* (in the tow plane). For an ADS-B-only tow plane (arguably the much more frequent case), suppression has been added a year ago.

https://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads...ease-notes.pdf
Old May 1st 20, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:22:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I both agree and disagree with Tom.

The TN72 is not ADS-B in a certificated ship, TABS only there.Â* If your
ship is Experimental, TN72 works just fine as ADS-B Out. Configuration
takes all of 10 minutes if you're slow, but you have to have all your
numbers at hand, e.g., length and width of your aircraft, antenna offset
(left/right) from the longitudinal axis and distance from the nose, and
airspeed range.Â* That's pretty much it.

I configured a system for my Experimental gyro plane kit which should be
delivered this week.Â* I set it up in the living room window which is in
view of an ADS-B tower.Â* As the gyro plane is an EAB aircraft, the TN72
is a legal ADS-B out system.Â* Oh, and I used a TA50 antenna.Â* It's about
half the size of a standard size puck antenna, works great, and costs
about a quarter or less than the gigantic antenna which is mounted
inside of the Stemme.

I have ADS-B (TT22 and TN70) in the Stemme and a PowerFlarm portable and
it works just great.Â* The only thing favoring Flarm in my opinion is the
trend analysis and collision alert capability which doesn't work with
ADS-B targets, only with Flarm targets.Â* My buddy has ADS-B only and I
constantly get alerts when we fly near each other even on parallel or
divergent paths.Â* BUT with the long range capability of ADS-B (I watched
a soaring friend over 26 miles away on my Flarm View display), there's
plenty of situational awareness and I find the collision alarms unnecessary.

On 4/27/2020 7:15 PM, 2G wrote:

Sigh.....

Tom

--
Dan, 5J

Dan is correct: the TN72 can only be used in experimental-registered aircraft, which my ASH31 is. Another example of our bureaucrats having only our best interests at heart. Configuration is easy when you know exactly what to do.

Tom