tow vehicles?

Old May 11th 20, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Coan

Default tow vehicles?

What do you think is the best tow vehicle for a single place glass sailplane? What is the smallest vehicle one can safely tow with?
Old May 11th 20, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Piper Cub.

Old May 11th 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 4:25:28 PM UTC-7, Stephen Coan wrote:
What do you think is the best tow vehicle for a single place glass sailplane? What is the smallest vehicle one can safely tow with?

Depending on the sailplane and trailer, you're probably looking at 1,500 to 2,500 pounds. There are plenty of small vehicles that will tow this much. I've towed with a Honda CR-V (tow capacity 1,500), but the smallest vehicle for the job is unlikely to be the best vehicle for the job.

If you plan to do a lot of towing, especially in mountains, then you probably shouldn't push the tow capacity. I'd personally prefer to have at least 3,000 pounds of tow capacity.

Also, consider how much stuff you want to throw inside the tow vehicle: parachute, oxygen bottle, tool kit, wash bucket, wing stands, etc. Other than that, pick the vehicle that best meets your daily driving needs. Do you need to haul a family? Do you take dirt bikes to the track? Do you drive in much snow?

For most people, a mini van is probably a very practical soaring crew vehicle. The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are both highly rated and have tow capacities of 3,500 pounds. They have plenty of room for gear and you can even sleep comfortably in them. If you drive in a lot of snow, the Sienna is available with AWD.

After owning a couple of minivans, I finally upgraded to a full-size Chevy Express AWD. I put in a fridge/freezer (yay ice cream and cold drinks!), sink, stove, outdoor shower, desk, wifi repeater, cell phone booster, Webasto furnace, ceiling fan, LED lights, ARB awning, etc. This vehicle supports all of my hobbies and allows me to spend long weekends in the mountains, at the coast, or at distant gliderports. Last night, I slept in the van with a girlfriend, wing rigger, and climbing gear. We cooked pesto linguini with shrimp, watched a movie with popcorn, and had ice cream for dessert. The furnace kept us warm overnight, and then we woke up at a trail head and started a sunrise climb. This has been my best crew vehicle so far, but certainly not the smallest.

Old May 11th 20, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

1/2 ton pickup with a pop top slid in camper . All the conveniences of home, lots of room for all your stuff and decent clearance and power if you have to make a rough retrieve. Dan
Old May 11th 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

The 2004-6-8 Subaru Forester has the trailer capacity. Just remember to inflate all 6 tires to manufacturer max.

Manual transmission preferred to auto. In the mountains the auto will be flip-flopping on the way up and there's no transmission fluid temperature display.

Good car for pulling loaded trailers out of freshly disked fields.

You can roll out a double mattress in the back with the seats folded down, but significant others may strongly prefer other accommodations.

You're pushing your luck with a 2-seater. I jackknifed pulling a Puchaz. Read the Cobra manual on bringing a trailer sway under control.
Old May 11th 20, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Coan

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:22:07 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
The 2004-6-8 Subaru Forester has the trailer capacity. Just remember to inflate all 6 tires to manufacturer max.

Manual transmission preferred to auto. In the mountains the auto will be flip-flopping on the way up and there's no transmission fluid temperature display.

Good car for pulling loaded trailers out of freshly disked fields.

You can roll out a double mattress in the back with the seats folded down, but significant others may strongly prefer other accommodations.

You're pushing your luck with a 2-seater. I jackknifed pulling a Puchaz. Read the Cobra manual on bringing a trailer sway under control.

I'm planning on towing a Ventus in a cobra from Utah to Fl. with a 2025 VW GTI. Any issues?
Old May 11th 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

My 2014 Subaru Outback 3.6L has been great. "Normally" tow the Cirrus in a Komet, but have towed up to Twin Grobs in box trailer and empty Cobra sized for an Arcus with it. Room to sleep in the back with back seat folded down, plenty of space for stuff. Back when I was moving gliders around the country I took it coast to coast several times. It has 221,000 miles on it now. Had some work done on the valve body in the transmission last year. A few wheel bearings have needed replaced.
Old May 11th 20, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 4:25:28 PM UTC-7, Stephen Coan wrote:
What do you think is the best tow vehicle for a single place glass sailplane? What is the smallest vehicle one can safely tow with?

A 2025 vehicle sounds perfect Stevie.

Old May 11th 20, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm planning on towing a Ventus in a cobra from Utah to Fl. with a 2025 VW GTI. Any issues?

I don't know exactly which GTI you have, but most of them are rated by the manufacturer as "Not Recommended for Towing". I wouldn't want to risk over-heating the transmission or getting into an accident.

If this is a one-time trip, then you can try uship.com. I recently had a sailplane delivered from California to Chicago for less than $800. I couldn't have done it much cheaper myself. Note that uship prices are hit or miss. Sometimes I get great prices, and other times I don't.
Old May 11th 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

For towing, weight and wheelbase of the tow vehicle are your friends. I had a Toyota Siena and also a RAV4. Both had the same V6 motor and rated tow capacity of 3,500 lbs. Towing with the Sienna was better because it was heavier and longer.