What is the Lockheed Vindicator?

Old October 28th 03, 01:55 AM
Kenneth Williams

Default What is the Lockheed Vindicator?

Heard this as a reference to an '80s stealth aircraft. Never heard of it before.

Kenneth Williams
Old October 28th 03, 07:46 AM
Stuart Chapman

"Kenneth Williams" wrote in message
m...
Heard this as a reference to an '80s stealth aircraft. Never heard of it

before.

Kenneth Williams

On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that seemed
to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in the '30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

Stupot

Old October 28th 03, 11:33 AM
robert arndt

"Stuart Chapman" wrote in message ...
"Kenneth Williams" wrote in message
m...
Heard this as a reference to an '80s stealth aircraft. Never heard of it

before.

Kenneth Williams

Are you sure its not a CDL aerial target?

http://www.cdlsystems.com/vindicatorbarracuda.html

Rob
Old October 28th 03, 07:02 PM
Marc Reeve

Stuart Chapman wrote:

"Kenneth Williams" wrote in message
m...
Heard this as a reference to an '80s stealth aircraft. Never heard of it

before.

Kenneth Williams

On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that
seemed to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in the
'30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

Nah, that would be the Vought "Wind Indicator". aka the SB2U - it was a
dive bomber, not a torpedo bomber.

Last used in combat on June 4, 1942.

-Marc

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old October 28th 03, 08:39 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
"Stuart Chapman" wrote in message

"Kenneth Williams" wrote in message
m...
Heard this as a reference to an '80s stealth aircraft. Never heard

of it
before.

Kenneth Williams

Are you sure its not a CDL aerial target?

http://www.cdlsystems.com/vindicatorbarracuda.html

This used to be a Boeing property and, before that, Bristol in Winterpeg,
and I think they got it from Meggitt in the U.K. It used to crash with
such regularity when lauched from its pneumatic catapult it was known as
"Vindicrater".
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old October 29th 03, 09:06 PM
Simon Robbins

"Devi Deveraux" wrote in message
om...

When questioned about the patch and aircraft he said he "couldn't talk
about it, the aircraft was secret".

Do they actually make sew-on patches for black project aircraft? Seems a
stupid lax in othrewise top-notch security to me. (Do they do t-shirts and
"My other car's a hypersonic scramjet" bumper stickers too? :^)

Could well be some pilot with a sense of humour had a patch made up for a
prank. (Hmm... that gives me an idea..)

Si

Old October 30th 03, 12:27 AM
vincent p. norris

On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that seemed
to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in the '30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

That was the Vultee Vindicator, the SB2U-1. A dive-bomber. So slow
pilots nicknamed it the "Wind-indicator."

Next time you watch the movie "Midway," you'll see it being passed off
as the planes flown by Torpeo 8.

vince norris
Old October 30th 03, 01:13 AM
Marc Reeve

vincent p. norris wrote:

On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that
seemed to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in
the '30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

That was the Vultee Vindicator, the SB2U-1. A dive-bomber. So slow
pilots nicknamed it the "Wind-indicator."

Next time you watch the movie "Midway," you'll see it being passed off
as the planes flown by Torpeo 8.

The SB2U was made by Vought, not Vultee. Hence the "U" manufacturer
code. Vultee aircraft got a "V" manufacturer code until they became part
of Consolidated, when they got the "Y" code.

You may be confusing the SB2U with the BT-13, aka the "Vultee Vibrator".

-Marc

Old October 30th 03, 01:50 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stuart Chapman" wrote in message

On the weekend I saw a book about an aircraft called Vindicator, that

seemed
to be a precursor to the Douglas Dauntless....torpedo bomber in the '30's.

Not sure whether it was Lockheed though.

The SB2U Vindicator was built by Vought.