Flying near Boston

Old September 9th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying near Boston

Hi folks.

I've recently moved to the Boston area after getting my Private
certificate down in New Jersey. I'm probably going to fly out of
Hanscom (I've flown in there before and know it's busy).

I'd love to hear from people who fly in the area and have advice on fun
flights to do locally - either sightseeing or $100 burger style.

Thanks

Tom

Old September 9th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the area. KFIT is a nice GA airport with two mechanics shops
on the field, a restaruant and a flight school. It is a non-towered airport.

Fun places to go and see, KACK, KMVY, KLEB is going to be beautiful in
about 3 wks. KSAN has a great restaurant on the field. Land long on 32
or you'll taxi on the runway for about 4000' to make the next turnoff.

Bar Harbor is only 1.5 to 1.8 away. Acadia National Park is right across
the causeway. Columbia Air Services @ KBHB are the best.

Enjoy the area.

KC

Old September 10th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert A. Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks.

I've recently moved to the Boston area after getting my Private
certificate down in New Jersey. I'm probably going to fly out of
Hanscom (I've flown in there before and know it's busy).

I'd love to hear from people who fly in the area and have advice on fun
flights to do locally - either sightseeing or $100 burger style.

Thanks

Tom

I fly out of KLWM and tie down at Four Star Avition.
Have been with them for four years and very satisfied.
They also do all my maintenence and annuals.Very Handy

Bob Barker N8749S

Old September 10th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Pixel Dent

In article ,
"Robert A. Barker" wrote:

I'd love to hear from people who fly in the area and have advice on fun
flights to do locally - either sightseeing or $100 burger style.

I haven't lived in the area for five years, but when I did a favorite
flight was up to Bar Harbor for lunch. It's a beautiful flight in and of
itself, and then there's a nice place to get lobster walking distance
from the field.

Provincetown has a very nice airport which is a cheap cab ride from town.
Old September 10th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aviv Hod

wrote:
Hi folks.

I've recently moved to the Boston area after getting my Private
certificate down in New Jersey. I'm probably going to fly out of
Hanscom (I've flown in there before and know it's busy).

I'd love to hear from people who fly in the area and have advice on fun
flights to do locally - either sightseeing or $100 burger style.

Thanks

Tom

Welcome to Boston Tom!

In addition to OWD, FIT, and BED, one of the closest airports to Boston
is Beverly Airport (BVY) about 20 minutes to the north.

It's a very friendly airport to GA and offers flight training.
http://www.beverlyflightcenter.com/history.htm

I am a member of the North Shore Aeroclub and for me it is a major step
up from merely renting, and costs less. We have one more spot open, so
check it out and see if the club will work for you:

The North Shore Aeroclub: http://www.nsaeroclub.org/

Other info about Beverly:

Official info: http://www.beverlyairport.com/
Airnav: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBVY

Even if you don't decide to base at Beverly, The "Something Different
Cafe" on the field is worth a visit. http://www.airportcafe.com/

I highly recommend doing the "Boston Tour", flying over the Charles
river and Cambridge. Don't be intimidated - call up Boston Approach and
coordinate a time that will work. If you're curteous and professional
you'll get a spectacular flight!

Welcome to the neighborhood!

-Aviv Hod
Old September 10th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Kevin Clarke wrote:

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the area. KFIT is a nice GA airport with two mechanics shops
on the field, a restaruant and a flight school. It is a non-towered airport.

Fun places to go and see, KACK, KMVY, KLEB is going to be beautiful in
about 3 wks. KSAN has a great restaurant on the field. Land long on 32
or you'll taxi on the runway for about 4000' to make the next turnoff.

Agreed on the locals, but KSAN is a really long cross country.

Bar Harbor is only 1.5 to 1.8 away. Acadia National Park is right across
the causeway. Columbia Air Services @ KBHB are the best.

Plus you get to hear "Cleeh'd to the Ba'h Ha'bah Ai'port via radah vectahs to
Manchestah, victah 123....

Old September 10th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Owen wrote:

Kevin Clarke wrote:

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the area. KFIT is a nice GA airport with two mechanics shops
on the field, a restaruant and a flight school. It is a non-towered airport.

Fun places to go and see, KACK, KMVY, KLEB is going to be beautiful in
about 3 wks. KSAN has a great restaurant on the field. Land long on 32
or you'll taxi on the runway for about 4000' to make the next turnoff.

Agreed on the locals, but KSAN is a really long cross country.

Yeah,I probably meant KSFM. Doh! Thanks for that.

Bar Harbor is only 1.5 to 1.8 away. Acadia National Park is right across
the causeway. Columbia Air Services @ KBHB are the best.

Plus you get to hear "Cleeh'd to the Ba'h Ha'bah Ai'port via radah vectahs to
Manchestah, victah 123....

English is the aviation lingua franca, Bangor approach even speaks it.

KC

Old September 10th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Welcome to the area. KFIT is a nice GA airport with two mechanics shops on the field, a restaruant and a flight school. It is a non-towered airport.

Fitchburg (KFIT) is not too far from Ashburnham, where they have the The
Frederick Collection of Period Grand Pianos:
http://www.frederickcollection.org/index.html
This couple have been collecting and restoring pianos for years, they
have a whole bunch of them dating back to Beethoven's time, AND THEY LET
YOU PLAY THEM!! It's =amazing=! They also have concerts on Sundays
nearby.

It is a must see if you have any taste for music at all. Don't worry if
you can't play the piano, they play too, and they play very very well.

KFIT does have a courtesy car you can get if you pre-arrange.
Ashburnham is about a half hour from the airport.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.