Introduction to a newbie

Old December 31st 04, 01:49 AM
Shane O

Default Introduction to a newbie

Good evening everyone. I have spent the last several hours reading and
catching up on the posts in this group. Yeahh that means I am a newbie to
the group. Also I am a newbie to Aerobatic flying.

Currently I am a low time 120 hour straight and level private pilot. I
started my IFR rating but ran out of money and am on the path of
reorganizing my finances to continue flying. I have acquired the bug from
other aerobatic flyers and have decided to take the journey through this
airway and see where it leads. My goal is to start training in the coming
spring/summer at a flying school nearby where I learned my (Y A W N)
straight and level. They specialize in acrobatics and most of the
instructors are ex-military with more flight hours than I think I have been
alive. So I know they are a good choice.

Everyone in this group appears to be pretty friendly and I hope that I can
turn to you from time to time with some of my questions and hopefully share
some of my experiences.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

Old December 31st 04, 03:30 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You have chosen a good path to follow here, and from the sound of it,
you are positioned fairly well to get a good acro instructor.
Just a bit of advice FWIW. The military is a great training program, and
most of the pilots who come through the military aerobatic training are
pretty good, but there are exceptions, and as a new student to acro, it
will pay you to know this. Don't just blindly accept a military
background as the criteria you need for picking your acro instructor.
Spend a little time with these pilots before choosing one. Find someone
who not only can fly, but fits in easily with you and your personality.
Acro instruction requires more "blending" of what's projected to you by
the instructor than in any other kind of flying. You want someone who
can explain in terms YOU can understand, because in acro instruction,
you prep verbally, execute the maneuver completely, THEN review what you
did, so it's critical YOU understand before you execute. This is an "art
form" that some acro instructors don't have regardless of how well they
can fly themselves. Just be aware of this.
I'm sure you'll do fine. Let me know if there's anything I can do to
help in any way. I'm usually around :-))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for email; take out the trash

Old December 31st 04, 04:00 AM
Shane O

Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military background. I have
spent some time, limited as it may be, but got a really good feeling from
the people I did talk to. As the weather gets better and spring starts, I
will be spending more time over there and asking many many more questions to
make sure they are the instructors for me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

m...

Old December 31st 04, 05:32 AM
Dudley Henriques

Sounds like a plan to me :-)
What will you be flying if you decide to go acro?
Dudley

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military background. I
have spent some time, limited as it may be, but got a really good
feeling from the people I did talk to. As the weather gets better and
spring starts, I will be spending more time over there and asking many
many more questions to make sure they are the instructors for me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

m...

Old December 31st 04, 05:59 AM
Shane O

Well, that is a really good question. The truth is I have no idea yet! I
am going to spend some time talking to the instructors about the pros and
cons of each of their planes. Let them assist me in making that decision as
well as some flights to make sure I know the feel and can be comfortable.

Here is a list of their aircraft. I am sure a couple are not acro but most
are. A couple are way out of my league and/or too expensive for continuous
training.
Citabria 7ECA (1976) $69/hr
Citabria 7ECA (2002) $78/hr
Super Decathlon 8KCAB $104/hr
Grob 115C Bavarian $95/hr
Grumman AA-5B Tiger $95/hr
Pitts Special S2C (Yes, C) $199/hr
Extra 200 $184/hr (tach time)
Cessna 152A Aerobat $64/hr
Cessna 172 Skyhawk $82/hr
Waco Classic YPF5C $199/hr
L-39C Jet $1595/hr

Shane O

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
nk.net...
Sounds like a plan to me :-)
What will you be flying if you decide to go acro?
Dudley

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military background. I
have spent some time, limited as it may be, but got a really good feeling
from the people I did talk to. As the weather gets better and spring
starts, I will be spending more time over there and asking many many more
questions to make sure they are the instructors for me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

m...

Old December 31st 04, 06:32 AM
Shane O

Yeahh, I thought you might guess that. Do you know Rich Perkins or any of
the others there?

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...
It sounds like you are headed over to Attitude Aviation; is that right?
Dudley

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military background. I
have spent some time, limited as it may be, but got a really good
feeling from the people I did talk to. As the weather gets better and
spring starts, I will be spending more time over there and asking many
many more questions to make sure they are the instructors for me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

m...

Old December 31st 04, 06:55 AM
Dudley Henriques

Only by reputation, but I believe you're in good hands over there. These
people are "serious" pilots :-)
I think if you go in and openly discuss your goals and objectives with
these people, you won't have a bit of trouble. The main thing you have
to consider in the choice of an airplane are those objectives, and your
pocketbook.
A bit of advice going in; don't over reach on the choice of airplane.
Think carefully about what you want to walk away with after spending
what you have allotted for this little side track adventure :-) Consider
tailwheel transition if it's applicapable to you. Also, the Pitts and
Extra will require some additional time to adjust to as relates to
control sensitivity.
The L39 is a wonderful airplane if you have the money. Of all the
aircraft I've flown in my career, the T38 would be my favorite, and the
L39 handles a bit like the Talon, but a bit easier on final :-))
The Waco is a wonderful experience, but won't do you much good
afterward. I wouldn't recommend the Aerobat unless price was a REAL
problem for you. It will show you the world upside down, but isn't in
the same class with the other choices. The Citabrias are ok. You will
have a tired arm after an hour, and they are much better in the vertical
plane than in roll. The Decathlon is a good choice all around. It's
forgiving, it performs well, and will go both ways for you. The Extra is
a handful and requires fingertip control pressures to fly properly. It's
a wonderful airplane. Same for the Pitts. Never flew the German job, but
I don't like side by side acro anyway :-)
Just walk in and sit down with these guys and tell them what you want to
get out of the training. They will match your experience, your goals,
and of course your wallet to an airplane and a program designed for you.
If you have the money, go for it. When you come out of it, you will not
only know something about aerobatics, but your general straight and
level flying will be greatly improved. This I can guarantee you.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for email; take out the trash

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Yeahh, I thought you might guess that. Do you know Rich Perkins or
any of the others there?

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...
It sounds like you are headed over to Attitude Aviation; is that
right?
Dudley

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military
background. I have spent some time, limited as it may be, but got
a really good feeling from the people I did talk to. As the
weather gets better and spring starts, I will be spending more
time over there and asking many many more questions to make sure
they are the instructors for me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message
ink.net...

m...

Old December 31st 04, 07:05 AM
Shane O

Dudley, you are definately a wealth of information and your vast experience
comes through. I am sure that I will be keeping in touch with and
conversing with you regularly. I may even have to stop by your Inn one of
these days, that is if/when I am in Iowa. Looks like a nice place to stay.

[...]

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Yeahh, I thought you might guess that. Do you know Rich Perkins or any
of the others there?

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...
It sounds like you are headed over to Attitude Aviation; is that right?
Dudley

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military background. I
have spent some time, limited as it may be, but got a really good
feeling from the people I did talk to. As the weather gets better
and spring starts, I will be spending more time over there and asking
many many more questions to make sure they are the instructors for
me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

m...

Old December 31st 04, 07:13 AM
Dudley Henriques

Thank you. The Inn in Iowa isn't mine I'm afraid. It is however owned by
a friend; Jay Honek and his wife Mary. Jay is interested in aviation
history, and hence the layout on the International Fighter Pilots
Fellowship; information I released just this year to the public.
By all means, keep in touch and let me know how things go for you. If I
can help you in any way, just ask. You can figure out our personal email
I'm sure from the signature file.
All the best,
Dudley
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for email; check it up top on the post and "take out the trash"

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Yeahh, I thought you might guess that. Do you know Rich Perkins or
any of the others there?

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...
It sounds like you are headed over to Attitude Aviation; is that
right?
Dudley

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"Shane O" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for that info and welcome Dudley.

No I haven't chosen them based solely on their military
background. I have spent some time, limited as it may be, but
got a really good feeling from the people I did talk to. As the
weather gets better and spring starts, I will be spending more
time over there and asking many many more questions to make sure
they are the instructors for me.

Shane O
Clear skies, and Adrenaline Flying to all!!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message
ink.net...

m...