Gps with voice, "talking" GPS

Old September 8th 03, 02:11 PM
gyrobob

Default Gps with voice, "talking" GPS

Does there exist a handheld GPS that talks?

A very nice lady here at work wants to give her hubby a gift for his
retirement, and she knows he likes GPSs, and she knows he likes the
voice feature. So far I have not found one for her that talks. The
only GPSs I know of that talk are permanently installed in cars.

Anyway, someone tell me about a handheld GPS that has a surface
database capability, and a voice.

Thanks,

Bob
Old September 8th 03, 04:45 PM
JerryK

A number of the car navigators for the IPAQ have voice prompting. I use
Mapopolis (www.mapopolis.com).

I also thought some of the Garmin units, land not aviation, had voice
prompting.

jerry

om...

Old September 8th 03, 05:28 PM
Bob Gardner

The StreetPilot III in my car talks to me (it is not permanently installed)
but I don't always agree with what it says with regard to routing. I can't
imagine how such a device would work in aviation. It is not unusual for it
to recommend a route that takes me far afield from where I want to go.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old September 9th 03, 12:02 AM
gyrobob

I should have mentioned that this won't be used in an aircraft
(probably), just in a car.

Now that we think about it, I wonder if you could put an aviation
database in it. Forget the voice, just used it for VORs,
intersections, airports, etc.

Thanks for the info.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message news:n627b.291206$Oz4.80511@rwcrnsc54...
The StreetPilot III in my car talks to me (it is not permanently installed)
but I don't always agree with what it says with regard to routing. I can't
imagine how such a device would work in aviation. It is not unusual for it
to recommend a route that takes me far afield from where I want to go.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old September 9th 03, 12:11 AM
Craig Davidson

a good place to buy garmin GPS equipment is

www.tvnav.com

I have always had great experiences with them.