Looking for information regarding baloon/helicopter experiment

Old December 8th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
wavy

Default Looking for information regarding baloon/helicopter experiment

I know the video was not fake, but I have no information about it.
I believe I recorded it from a compilation of aircraft accidents but
it was from 20 years ago.
I unfortunately dont have the tape anymore.
The vehicle, I believe - was put together by some contractor for the
forestry service.
It consisted of a large - dirigible type baloon and four big Sikorsky
helicopters (the old "split level" bird which initially was powered by
P&W R98 rotary engines).
The tail sections of the Sikorsky's had been removed and the whole
structure of the vehicle composed of what looked like steel
latticework.
It was a real catastrophe.
An oscillation developed, at least one of the helicpter bodies broke
free of the structure and crashed to the ground from about 40 feet.
I am hoping for ANYONE knowing about this thing to pass on more info!
=THANKS
WavY

respond by email if'n ya want - it works too

Old December 8th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Shiver

wavy wrote:

I know the video was not fake

WOW.... Your making me dust off some of the cob webs in my brain for
that one.

I've seen the video and if my feeble memory is correct it was on a
TV program some years ago.
Old December 9th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Tom Frey

"Shiver" wrote in message
wavy wrote:

I know the video was not fake

WOW.... Your making me dust off some of the cob webs in my brain for
that one.

I've seen the video and if my feeble memory is correct it was on a
TV program some years ago.

It was on either Discovery Wings or the History Channel about a year ago. I
don't know much more than that, but I think your recollection was pretty
clear. You might try one of their webs sites. I'm thinking I saw it on
Wings, shorty before they switched to the Military Channel.

Tom

Old December 9th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
wavy

Tom Frey wrote:
"Shiver" wrote in message
wavy wrote:

I know the video was not fake

WOW.... Your making me dust off some of the cob webs in my brain for
that one.

I've seen the video and if my feeble memory is correct it was on a
TV program some years ago.

It was on either Discovery Wings or the History Channel about a year ago. I
don't know much more than that, but I think your recollection was pretty
clear. You might try one of their webs sites. I'm thinking I saw it on
Wings, shorty before they switched to the Military Channel.

Tom

It was on a year ago? Wow - they recycle.

Yeh, there were several newsreel air crashes as well which I've yet to
see anywhere since then. One was apparently a piston engine bomber
similar to a stratoliner flying straight and level into a mountain. I
think it was destructive testing for some kind of thing.

I hoped to find some of this footage on youtube, google video or one of
the gross websites - without much luck.

Old December 9th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
wavy

Tom Frey wrote:
"Shiver" wrote in message
wavy wrote:

I know the video was not fake

WOW.... Your making me dust off some of the cob webs in my brain for
that one.

I've seen the video and if my feeble memory is correct it was on a
TV program some years ago.

It was on either Discovery Wings or the History Channel about a year ago. I
don't know much more than that, but I think your recollection was pretty
clear. You might try one of their webs sites. I'm thinking I saw it on
Wings, shorty before they switched to the Military Channel.

Tom

I have, however found some pretty wild video out there. Has anyone
else seen the novice helicopter owner go for a little spin in his
Hughes 296A?
I tried in vain to find any NTSB information on it and I think it was
not reported.
Had it been I think the guy would have faced some serious fines.
As if turning your Helicopter into a ball of wrecked machinery wouldnt
be bad enough...
Guy was lucky to have walked away!
I've also tried to determine the exact N number from the video but
couldnt be sure.
I wanted to cross reference it with the FAAs registration database
available online.
=WaVy

Old December 9th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Shiver

you might want to ask over at alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

They have a pretty good group over there who might be able to point you
towards the videos your looking for or some kind sould there might
actually have the video and could post it for you..
Old December 9th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
wavy

Thanks - that's very helpfull!
BTW - I looked at some other postings on this group and in particular
found a lot of acusary discussions about the supplier for Mini-500
kits.
If you ever see a mini 500, run away!
I checked the NTSB database and the results were GRIM! I'm suprised the
FAA hasnt grounded every last one!
When I was part owner of a skydiving operation the FAA came down on us
for not having wheel doors on the tailgear of our Twin Beech. Shees!
We operated the thing with the freaking passenger door removed! But
they threatened to red tag it for the little wheel door for the
tailwheel!
-WaVy

you might want to ask over at alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Old December 9th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Torman

It was Frank Piasecki's design. Here's a link:

http://www.piasecki.com/multiple.htm

Dann

ups.com...

Old December 9th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Tom Frey

"wavy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tom Frey wrote:
"Shiver" wrote in message
wavy wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed, they recycle a lot of that stuff every year or so, especially if
it's good. They have one on the development of the first helicopters
featuring a lot of priceless footage of Sikorsky's and Arther Young's early
efforts. It comes around a couple of times a years or so

You might contact the Discovery Channel. Maybe they could suggest their
sources, or perhaps sell copies of the episode you are interested in.

Old December 9th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
wavy

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On 8 Dec 2006 15:24:25 -0800, "wavy" wrote:

[...]

I think you're referring to the Helistat.. Don't recall who's
brainchild it was.. If memory serves it had four H-34s on it.. 3
green and one orange..

I found this:

http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb...er =ADA101414

and this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...istat_1985.jpg

(I guess it's a Piaecki design!)

and the NTSB report on the crash:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...13X34293&key=1

Unless it's not the one you were referring to and if so, never mind.

CAN YOU FEEL the resolution to a decades-old issue? SAY AMEN,
brothers!
That is EXACTLY the thing I was talking about.
I must have originally seen a video of the thing only months after it
happened.
(What a terrible design! What a bad idea! What a waste of time, money
and life!)
-wAv

Helicopters - shees! They dont WANT to fly!