Argus 5000CE question

Old July 29th 03, 03:31 AM
Francois Marquis

Default Argus 5000CE question

Hello,

Has anyone have first hand experience with both the Argus 5000 and Argus
5000ce. I know a lot of users have transitioned to the CE, but
functionality-wise they are about the same. (minus the color, of course)

My biggest issue is that I sometime deplore the contrast of my 5000
unit, specially whenever bright lighting is present (such as flying near
the top of a layer).

In a nutshell, contrast is the main issue i'd like to resolve.

Also, as a secondary topic, are colors programmable, I use the map, the
RMI and the stormscope simultaneously (or alternatively depending of the
situation. I don't use the fliteplan feature, since I already have a
aprch cert A1 GPS and GPSS on the Autopilot.

As a third issue, is the screen centering adjustable vertically on the
CE? The 5000 has user setups for horizontal centering and I had to
send mine to the factory to calibrate it properly, vertically.

Thanks in advance

Francois Marquis
Lancair C-GLUE

Old July 29th 03, 10:40 PM
McGregor

We have a 7000 color and the contrast is outstanding, even in sunlight.
Colors are somewhat programmable (airspace in red, etc.) and you get the
plane either centered (plan/departure mode) or at the bottom of the screen
(arrival/enroute).

Far and away the best feature, IMO, is the yoke button for selecting
navaids/waypoints. You can get instant radial/distance to any VOR or
distance from airport on approach. I wish the Avidyne had something similar.

Old July 30th 03, 05:00 AM
Francois Marquis

I'd like to compare the difference between the color unit and the
monochrome one, like a side by side comparison...

On the 5000 unit, if you use the RMI, you loose the remote control of
the select and info functions, though. Can you confirm if the CE model
has the same drawback?

I agree that interrogating a visible waypoint (or facility) is a unique
feature of the Argus and this is what makes it outstanding. Also, when
on arrival mode, it shows the ADF bearing as a dashed line, great sanity
check: that dashed line got to intersect the LOM or the NDB, or else...

Francois

Old July 30th 03, 07:47 PM
McGregor

On the 5000 unit, if you use the RMI, you loose the remote control of
the select and info functions, though. Can you confirm if the CE model
has the same drawback?

I believe you can still select waypoints while using the RMI. I'm going
flying tomorrow morning,
so I'll double check and let you know. You can use the RMI in RMI-only mode
or in
"normal" mapping mode with the RMI needles superimposed on the moving map.

I agree that interrogating a visible waypoint (or facility) is a unique
feature of the Argus and this is what makes it outstanding.

I don't know why Eventide doesn't license that technology. It would be great
to be able to
select waypoints on a 430/530, an MX-20 or Avidyne unit.

Old July 31st 03, 05:41 AM
Francois Marquis

I believe you can still select waypoints while using the RMI. I'm
going flying tomorrow morning, so I'll double check and let you know.
You can use the RMI in RMI-only mode or in "normal" mapping mode with
the RMI needles superimposed on the moving map.

My RMI setup does not use the RMI adapter, since I only use the ADF as
an RMI input on the Argus.

It uses the same "Hardware inputs" as the input pins, unfortunately and
this is what causes this limitation. I believe that the 5000Ce, or the
7000Ce, have two dual connectors in the back plus a static pressure
input connector ?!?

I agree that interrogating a visible waypoint (or facility) is a
unique feature of the Argus and this is what makes it outstanding.

I don't know why Eventide doesn't license that technology. It would
be

great
to be able to select waypoints on a 430/530, an MX-20 or Avidyne
unit.

I agree. My GPS is a Garmin 155xl unit and it is A1 certified.

Using the 155xl with the Argus, though, provides a great level of
redundancy. For example, since the Argus has a dedicated map area where
you always have your "nav numbers" (e.g. GS, BRG, TK, ETA ...) I like to
fly the ROUTE page on the GPS, since it is after all the benefit of a
IFR GPS, and I like the nav counterpart of the GPS displayed on the
Argus map. This, I feel, gives you a better situational awareness. My
Argus is located next to the HSI...

Anyhow, redundancy is also important, IMO. When the sole "GPS,NAV,COM"
breaker pops out (or whatever the case might be) one gets suddently
blind if no redundancy is built-up in the total package.

The lesser side of the Argus is its inability to support airways, MOCA
and MEA outside of Continental US. And yes, I have the international
database :0|

Anyhow, I think that whoever have flown with it will agree that this is
a really good map because it is so well adapted for Instrument flying.
The "Departure, Enroute and Arrival sequence" structure is intuitive. I
like the quality of the unit, too. Low energy, robust and reliable.

This is why my only issue is the contrast of the 5000 in very bright
sunlight condition.

Francois Marquis
Lancair C-GLUE

Old August 2nd 03, 10:54 PM
McGregor

My RMI setup does not use the RMI adapter, since I only use the ADF as
an RMI input on the Argus.

It uses the same "Hardware inputs" as the input pins, unfortunately and
this is what causes this limitation. I believe that the 5000Ce, or the
7000Ce, have two dual connectors in the back plus a static pressure
input connector ?!?

I think the 7000 only has one input - I have a panel switch to toggle
between the WX500 and RMI mode. There is a static pressure connector.

I got my Argus RMI adapter on Ebay for $150. Check the auctions there, you
may find a good deal on a 5000/7000 color unit.

Cheers,

Another Painting Question c hinds Home Built 6 December 6th 04 01:39 AM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Question for Squirrel the Lurker jls Home Built 0 January 30th 04 02:41 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM