Are handheld GPSes becoming a defacto primary nav source?

Old September 1st 03, 02:06 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default Are handheld GPSes becoming a defacto primary nav source?

This week I did several IFR flights, some in IMC and most in VMC. On a
couple of those flights, ATC offered me direct to the next VOR after the
one I was navigating to, well before I could actually pick up the signal.
One time departing Rochester, they told me to go direct Elmira when I was
less than 500 feet off the ground and there are 2000 foot hills between me
and Elmira. So I turned to the approximate direction, and punched "GOTO"
on my handheld GPS, and followed the GPS's HSI until I climbed up high
enough to get a signal.

They don't offer a vector, or say "direct when able", they just say "05X,
go direct East Texas".

It seems to me that they know we can't recieve that VOR, but as long as
we've got the GPS on board, it doesn't matter to them. I guess as far as
legalities go, we're just ded reckoning in the right general direction
until we pick up the VOR.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; give him a freshly-
Old September 1st 03, 03:21 PM

Paul Tomblin wrote:

This week I did several IFR flights, some in IMC and most in VMC. On a
couple of those flights, ATC offered me direct to the next VOR after the
one I was navigating to, well before I could actually pick up the signal.
One time departing Rochester, they told me to go direct Elmira when I was
less than 500 feet off the ground and there are 2000 foot hills between me
and Elmira. So I turned to the approximate direction, and punched "GOTO"
on my handheld GPS, and followed the GPS's HSI until I climbed up high
enough to get a signal.

The 2,000' terrain is some 29 miles SE of the airport, thus well below a 40:1
departure slope. That is why the obstacle DP for the airport doesn't have a
route obstacle DP. Having said that, you are well-advised to follow the
takeoff minimum restrictions noted for some runways at the airport, if you
used one of those runways for departure.

They don't offer a vector, or say "direct when able", they just say "05X,
go direct East Texas".

Thus, your survival may depend upn following any IFR takeoff miniums or
obstacle DP instructions.

It seems to me that they know we can't recieve that VOR, but as long as
we've got the GPS on board, it doesn't matter to them. I guess as far as
legalities go, we're just ded reckoning in the right general direction
until we pick up the VOR.

As to taking the routing direct to a nav aid you cannot receive, if you're
not filed /G, you're technically obligated to refuse the clearance. ATC
issuance of such a clearance does not make use of a handheld legal. As a
practical matter, does it matter, provided you adhere to any obstcle
departure information? Probably not.

Old September 1st 03, 05:32 PM
Mike Adams

I had two similar recent experiences on this year's trip to Oshkosh that made
me think the same thing. With a new instrument rating, I was trying to file on
a few of the legs just for the experience. On the leg from LVS to OJC, I
checked in with center after takeoff, and was immediately cleared direct
EMP. Now this is 450 NM, and I had filed /A, so they were obviously assuming I
had some other navigation capability. (We did.)

Then on the return trip, it happened again. It was overcast at OSH, and we
departed IFR. After breaking out at 3500 ft, and contacting Chicago center,
they cleared us direct to Mason City (MCW). This is over 200 NM. We said
unable, and they said fly 250 heading until able. Well, as we got closer to
MCW, we can't receive it, and finally I asked center, and they said "oh, it's
been NOTAM'ed for several months".

We had a handheld GPS, and the VFR Loran was driving the HSI, so navigation
wasn't a problem, but I was expecting some actual practice following the
airways. This worked out OK on the first leg, after we said "unable" they
cleared us for our original route. But I agree with you - they seem to assume
everyone has GPS/RNAV capability.

Mike

Old September 1st 03, 06:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

Why the hostility?

What hostility?

Old September 1st 03, 06:40 PM

The AIM addresses the issue of flying direct when outside of NAVAID service
volume limits; see section 5-1-7, paragraphs c.4 and c.5. Also see
paragraph c.7 regarding obstacle clearance rsponsibility.

I raised this same issue with my flight instructor when taking IFR lessons.
He explained that although it's not permissable to FILE an IFR direct route
that requires GPS without having a certified unit, it's OK to request
"direct" if I have my hand-held and I'm in radar contact. So now I always
file a route that meets NAVAID requirements and request "direct" once
established on the filed route. I just let the controller know that "I have
GPS aboard" and my request has never been denied.