Visual Appr.

Old September 6th 03, 01:17 PM
Stuart King

Default Visual Appr.

The situation....

Your on an IFR plan, in VMC. You see the airport and make your call: N123
has the field.

ATC : N123 cleard for the visual approach to rwy 9, contact tower 123.4

You : cleared for the vis to 9, over tower...thanks.

You : acb tower N123 with you on the visual to 9.

Tower : N123 roger, enter a left downwind for 9.

Does this mean you stay on downwind, or are you just enetering the pattern
and can make base/final anytime.

Clearance to land has not yet been given.

SK

Old September 6th 03, 01:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stuart King" wrote in message
om...

The situation....

Your on an IFR plan, in VMC. You see the airport and make your call:

N123
has the field.

ATC : N123 cleard for the visual approach to rwy 9, contact tower 123.4

You : cleared for the vis to 9, over tower...thanks.

You : acb tower N123 with you on the visual to 9.

Tower : N123 roger, enter a left downwind for 9.

Does this mean you stay on downwind, or are you just enetering the pattern
and can make base/final anytime.

Clearance to land has not yet been given.

It just means that you enter the pattern on a left downwind.

Old September 6th 03, 02:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
om...

It means that you can fly the visual approach starting with a left

downwind,
followed by a base and final, but that you have not been cleared to land.
The tower will still give you a cleared to land (or something else).

The visual approach started when center/approach said "cleared for the
visual approach to rwy 9".

Old September 6th 03, 03:42 PM
Ray Andraka

Cleared the visual means you've been cleared for the full visual approach, so
you are basically the same as VFR traffic as far as clearance. At a towered
field, you have to follow any instructions given by the tower. In this case,
you are cleared for descent to TPA, fly the pattern and tower told you to enter
the left downwind for 9.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old September 6th 03, 03:44 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message

Cleared the visual means you've been cleared for the full visual approach,

Hmmmm,,,,,,,, is there a partial visual approach?

Old September 6th 03, 08:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stuart King" wrote in message

Thats what i thought too, so i went on into hase and then announced N123
left base for 9, hoping they would clear me to land (trying to be polite

and
not say please clear me to land) and I got my head bit off because I was
only cleared for a downwind for 9.

If they didn't tell you to extend your downwind there's no reason for you
not to turn base. Their error.

Old September 7th 03, 12:43 AM
Steve P

On 9/6/2003 5:17 AM after considerable forethought, Stuart King wrote:
The situation....

Your on an IFR plan, in VMC. You see the airport and make your call: N123
has the field.

ATC : N123 cleard for the visual approach to rwy 9, contact tower 123.4

You : cleared for the vis to 9, over tower...thanks.

You : acb tower N123 with you on the visual to 9.

Tower : N123 roger, enter a left downwind for 9.

Does this mean you stay on downwind, or are you just enetering the pattern
and can make base/final anytime.

Clearance to land has not yet been given.

SK

If I'm told to enter the downwind or any part of the pattern and have
NOT been cleared to land, I report once that's been completed. I find
it common to be told to enter left downwind, and I end up reporting,
"N123 abeam the tower left downwind" A few airports around here use
both right and left traffic simultaneously so it's important to let the
tower know when you need to be a part of the consideration for landing.
If I hear there are several planes in the pattern, I'll try to report
when entering and add "wing up" so they can pick me out more easily.

Steve P

Old September 7th 03, 04:23 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Stuart King" wrote
in :

Thats what i thought too, so i went on into hase and then
announced N123 left base for 9, hoping they would clear me
to land (trying to be polite and not say please clear me to
land) and I got my head bit off because I was only cleared
for a downwind for 9.

Sounds like a poor controller who got behind or something.
Unless he specifically told me he'd call my base, I'd turn base
at the appropriate place. IMO if the controller doesn't want
you to turn base until he clears you to, he should tell you
that. Normal procedure is to make the base at the normal place,
to avoid delaying the other traffic.

--
Regards,

Stan
Old September 7th 03, 04:57 AM
Steve P

On 9/6/2003 8:23 PM after considerable forethought, Stan Gosnell wrote:
"Stuart King" wrote
in :

Thats what i thought too, so i went on into hase and then
announced N123 left base for 9, hoping they would clear me
to land (trying to be polite and not say please clear me to
land) and I got my head bit off because I was only cleared
for a downwind for 9.

Sounds like a poor controller who got behind or something.
Unless he specifically told me he'd call my base, I'd turn base
at the appropriate place. IMO if the controller doesn't want
you to turn base until he clears you to, he should tell you
that. Normal procedure is to make the base at the normal place,
to avoid delaying the other traffic.

I think you need to let the controller know when you are in downwind.
I've been told to enter left downwind when 10 miles out.