Best performing Vario?

Old September 23rd 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Best performing Vario?

ClearNav vario works better than 302 and much better than the V7. It's an excellent product -- I hope they are working hard to finish it.
Old September 23rd 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:10:55 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
ClearNav vario works better than 302 and much better than the V7. It's an excellent product -- I hope they are working hard to finish it.

My favorite until recently was the Westerboer VW900. Great for digging out
from low. My new favorite is the CNv. Eagerly awaiting the updates for it.

-- Matt
Old September 23rd 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sullivan[_2_]

Default Vario time constants

I love my Zander. How about time constants? The Zander goes
from .5 sec to 5 Seconds, I set mine to 2 seconds. The filter is for
the audio which i set to to 2, in the middle. I wish i could program
the audio to my own sounds though. Don Rickels in sink, Yes, Yes,
Yes in climb...

Old September 23rd 12, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:58:15 PM UTC+1, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?

So many of you say the Clearnav vario is fantastic. What is it about that vario that makes it better than any other? How do you recognise that it is better? Say, what is better about it than a V7? (I have an LX 7000, most high end gliders in the UK use the LX series, they are pretty good, and presumably the V7 will be the best yet). I fly a club glider with an LNav, and I love that too. Varios like the LX give you numerous settings, and I suspect that what makes a vario work well for me is the way it has been setup. Sadly I am not clever enough to know how to set it up for best results! When other people out-climb me (hopefully not too often) my first thought is never that it is the fault of the vario!

I only once took off with a non-functioning vario (the LNav, water in plumbing). I thought it was odd that nothing was working, and was about to land out when I realised that the problem was the vario not the conditions! Happily I then found a good enough thermal to climb without a vario, and was able to fly back to the airfield. I understand some people are clever enough to fly cross country without a vario. Not me.

The Butterfly sounds like genuine new tech - using accelerometers as well as pressure change. I can imagine that this must achieve a better result, but I cannot imagine how I would recognise that better result. How would I decide whether to spec my next glider with an LX 9000 or to save money and use a Butterfly plus Oudie?
Old September 23rd 12, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Another vote for the Clearnav vario. In answer to the question below, the
longer you soar, and the more different gliders (and instruments) you fly
with, the easier it is to decide whether the instrument is agreeing with
what you know from feel the glider is doing in the air. When you are
climbing with other people real differences show up. Horizontal gusts can
make a simple TE vario think the rate of climb has increased, when the
glider isn't in fact climbing at that time. The Clearnav is also new tech
withmultiple pressure sensors, 3-axis accelerometers, and good software to
show you what the glider is doing in reality. In my biased opinion, it is
far better than anything else I have flown with.

The user interface is straighforward, and the advanced extra features
(including IGC recorder) are well on the way.

As John Cochran has pointed out, mechanical varios (however good) are
antiques now - good audio for eyes out of cockpit are vital.

Old September 23rd 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:58:15 AM UTC-7, Craig R. wrote:
In your opinion, what was the best performing vario you have ever used? Specifically, the one that got you centered in and to the top of the thermal in the least amount of time.

Let's ignore products because they have the latest "bells and whistles" add ons, latest technology, sexy appearances, or best computer processor. Basic performance is the only criteria.

I've heard some say the legacy Cambridge units and some say the Sage mechanical.

Which unit did it for you?

In particular, I'd be interested to hear comparisons of the V7 and the ClearNav from those that have flown both.

Craig
Old September 24th 12, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Sage actually has an Audio option now, though I've only flown with the mechanical version which is very fast to respond. I believe you can even upgrade an older model to get audio.

The L-Nav has a pretty significant lag that takes some human compensation to optimize for. Especially in a big glider like a Duo.

I'm curious about the rave reviews of the Clearnav vario that also talk about "when it's finished" or other statements along those lines. Is it that it just lacks a feature set to compete with the V7 or Butterfly varios?

The Rico vario is up there for novelty. As a fisherman, the clicking sounds like a fish taking the bait softly.

Morgan
Old September 24th 12, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

See the company website

www.clearnav.net

The Club version is shipping, the competition version with IGC recorder,
GPS & wind out, navigation etc. is well on in development and test, and
units are user upgradable via the USB input.

Old September 25th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

I have flown with the new clearnav vario all season and am extremely happy with it. I used a 302 for many years.

If your looking for bling bling and fancy neon colors this may not be for you, but I am confident that I am making less stops in weak thermals than before as the vario ceratainly helps judge what is worth stopping for.