Inner Tubes

Old May 13th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Inner Tubes

I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?

Jim

Old May 13th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

RST Engineering wrote:
I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?

Jim

Michelin sells them as AirStop tubes. Chief Aircraft carries them.

Rip
Old May 13th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Rip" wrote in message
. ..
RST Engineering wrote:
I understand there is a new class of inner tubes that do not leak as
severely as the old
"TSO'd crap" natural rubber that we've used since Wilbur put them on the
Flyer.

Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common
sizes like 600-6 and so on?

Jim

Michelin sells them as AirStop tubes. Chief Aircraft carries them.

Rip

And they are not cheap. I believe Goodyear has come out with a version too.

Desser carries both brands.

IIRC, my 5" x 5" airstop tubes were $30+ each. New tires were $50/ea. It
hurt paying almost as much for the tubes as the tires. Still, only having
to air the tires 3 or 4 times a year is nice.

KB

KB

Old May 13th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns

I can confirm that both the Mich. Airstops are top notch. We've had
Airstops in our Aztec for several years, they go month after month , even in
the winter, without loosing a single lb of pressure. I just helped install
Goodyear Flight Mate Butyl tubes in a new set of Flight Custom III's on a
Piper Lance, I'll stay in touch with the owners. Desser is good source for
each.
Jim

Old May 13th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

RST Engineering wrote:
Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?

Both my mechanic and Desser recommended the Aero-Classic LeakGuard
tubes. We installed them a couple years ago and I can't remember the
last time I filled them. Definitely more expensive than a regular tube,
but worth it.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old May 13th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Both my mechanic and Desser recommended the Aero-Classic LeakGuard
tubes. We installed them a couple years ago and I can't remember the
last time I filled them. Definitely more expensive than a regular tube,
but worth it.

Now that is high praise.

Mary and I fill the tires at least twice a month. It's her least
favorite task, since -- thanks to our Fancy Pants -- it's a real bitch
to do.

(Me? I just stand there and push -- or pull -- till things are lined
up properly... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 13th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Murdock

Where else but in aviation do you have to pay extra to get inner tubes that
don't leak? You gotta love it.

-Mike

Old May 13th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Clear

In article ,
Mike Murdock wrote:
Where else but in aviation do you have to pay extra to get inner tubes that
don't leak? You gotta love it.

Bicycling has the same issue. I lose ~40psi a week out of the
tires on my bike. Of course, I'm starting at a much higher pressure.
The tires on my road bike have a recommended pressure of 100psi.
I have upgraded tubes for when I need to replace the existing ones,
but it is easy enough to add air that it isn't worth trashing good
but leaky tubes.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old May 13th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 13 May 2007 06:49:14 -0400, Doug Vetter
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:
Anybody got a lead on who has them for relatively few AMUs for common sizes
like 600-6 and so on?

Both my mechanic and Desser recommended the Aero-Classic LeakGuard
tubes. We installed them a couple years ago and I can't remember the
last time I filled them. Definitely more expensive than a regular tube,
but worth it.

I put them on the Deb nigh onto two years ago? Been quite a while any
way. It's been over a year since I put air in them. Late this past
winter I checked them and they were still right where I had put them.
Yes, they cost a bit more, but as I recall they weren't all that much
more and I heartily agree, they are worth it.

-Doug

Old May 14th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith[_2_]

In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Mary and I fill the tires at least twice a month. It's her least
favorite task, since -- thanks to our Fancy Pants -- it's a real bitch
to do.

Hmm... I would have reworded that sentence so that there was no
ambiguity as to what and whom I was referring. ;-)

Where can you get empty caulking gun tubes... Jerry Wass Home Built 16 March 3rd 11 05:36 PM
Connecting hoses to pitot/static tubes Ernest Christley Home Built 9 October 23rd 06 01:44 PM
Wanted: NON FUNCTIONAL VT-4-C and VT-25 vacuum tubes, other gear for B-17 setup Juan Jimenez Aviation Marketplace 7 September 19th 06 10:20 PM
Leak proof tubes Roger Owning 9 December 8th 05 10:15 AM
Seeking US Source for Main Wheel Tubes Chris OCallaghan Soaring 7 August 28th 04 03:46 PM