Rolls Royce Meteor V 2 engine from a Centurion tank

Old February 14th 04, 07:13 AM
Mike Hide

Wasn't the Merlin an inline piston engine and the meteor engine a gas
turbine engine.the two have to be totally dissimilar....mjh

--

"The Raven" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how similar these engines were to the Merlin? I know

they
were a derivative but being intended for ground use may be so totally
different as to be useless for any aviation application.

Why do I ask? An acquaintance has just acquired a complete Meteor engine

and
is looking to sell it off. I don't believe he wants to profit from it

beyond
recovering costs. If the engine is valueless or he can't find a buyer

there
is a possibility (slim) it may be scrapped. However, it would be better if
someone would purchase the engine and put it back into one of it's

intended
applications.

If anyone is interested in the engine, even for parts, please post a
response here and I will pass it on to him.

For those interested, the engine is in Canada (despite me being in
Australia).

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old February 14th 04, 11:15 AM
The Raven

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
Wasn't the Merlin an inline piston engine and the meteor engine a gas
turbine engine.the two have to be totally dissimilar....mjh

The Rolls Royce Merlin (including all license built models) was a V12
engine. Used in such aircraft as the Lancaster and P-51 Mustang.

The Rover Meteor engine is a derivative of that engine and saw application
in the Centurion tank.

I think you're associating the name Meteor with the Gloster Meteor jet
aircraft (which had turbines).

Old February 14th 04, 11:52 AM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article b0jXb.308382$xy6.1503503@attbi_s02,
Mike Hide wrote:
Wasn't the Merlin an inline piston engine and the meteor engine a gas
turbine engine.the two have to be totally dissimilar....mjh

The Rolls-Royce Merlin was a V12 piston engine, as was the (directly
derived from the Merlin) Rover Meteor tank engine.
The Gloster Meteor aeroplane was pwered variously by Rolls-Royce
Welland or Derwent, Halford H1 (De Havilland Goblin) or Metrovick
M2 turbojets or - in one case - Rolls-Royce Trent turboprops.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old February 14th 04, 12:55 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
Wasn't the Merlin an inline piston engine and the meteor engine a gas
turbine engine.the two have to be totally dissimilar....mjh

You have misunderstood I fear.

The Rolls Royce Meteor was a derivative of the Merlin inline
piston engine abd was used in armoured fighting vehicles

The GLOSTER Meteor used various engines including
Rolls Royce Derwents

Keith

Old February 14th 04, 01:13 PM
Pits

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
Wasn't the Merlin an inline piston engine and the meteor engine a gas
turbine engine.the two have to be totally dissimilar....mjh

You have misunderstood I fear.

The Rolls Royce Meteor was a derivative of the Merlin inline
piston engine abd was used in armoured fighting vehicles

Called the Meteor Mark four B
The GLOSTER Meteor used various engines including
Rolls Royce Derwents

What he said

Keith

Old February 14th 04, 02:38 PM
Chuck Harris

According to a website on PT boats that I found by Google,
the PT 7X series boats used a Packard V12 that was a direct
descendant of the Lancaster Airplane engine. They made a point
of saying that it wasn't a Merlin, or a Packard-Merlin.

Looks like there were tanks, boats and airplanes that shared a
related V12 engine.

-Chuck Harris

Old February 14th 04, 06:37 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Chuck Harris writes:
According to a website on PT boats that I found by Google,
the PT 7X series boats used a Packard V12 that was a direct
descendant of the Lancaster Airplane engine. They made a point
of saying that it wasn't a Merlin, or a Packard-Merlin.

They were pPackard V-12s, and derived from airplane engines, but not
Merlins. The Packard PT boat engines were derivatives of the Packard
A-1500 V-12s built in the 1920s.

I think some RAF Crashboats _did_ use the Meteor, though.
Certainly some, in the 1950s used Rolls Griffons.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old February 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:38:56 -0500, Chuck Harris wrote:

According to a website on PT boats that I found by Google,
the PT 7X series boats used a Packard V12 that was a direct
descendant of the Lancaster Airplane engine. They made a point
of saying that it wasn't a Merlin, or a Packard-Merlin.

Looks like there were tanks, boats and airplanes that shared a
related V12 engine.

-Chuck Harris

I recall seeing some of those bare cylinder blocks at NSC Subic. They were
a beautiful piece of Aluminum.

Al Minyard
Old February 14th 04, 09:04 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Chuck Harris wrote:
According to a website on PT boats that I found by Google,
the PT 7X series boats used a Packard V12 that was a direct
descendant of the Lancaster Airplane engine. They made a point

Liberty, not Lancaster. No such engine as a Lancaster, so
far as I know, and the Lancaster aeroplane was powered
by Merlins (most marks) or Bristol Hercules.

One Motor Torpedo Boat (the solitary F-type Fairmile)
got four Hercules instead of the usual Packards, bus
tthe power drain of the cooling fans just about absorbed
the power increase. It might have been different if she'd
got Centaurus, as planned.

of saying that it wasn't a Merlin, or a Packard-Merlin.

Looks like there were tanks, boats and airplanes that shared a
related V12 engine.

Certainly most British cruiser tanks (and the Valentine and
Churchill infantry tanks) had Liberty-derived V12s. Can't
remember whether the shift to the Meteor was with the Cromwell
or the Comet (Cromwell, I think - the related Centaur certain;y
had a Nuffield Liberty)

Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 04:03 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 27th 04 12:20 AM
Objective Engine Discussion Rick Maddy Home Built 26 October 14th 03 04:46 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM