I hink Biplanes/Triplanes are the best

Old October 31st 03, 08:21 PM
Steve Hix

In article ,
David Windhorst wrote:

Keith Willshaw wrote:

snip

Its been done

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=3754

Keith

Don't forget the PZL M-15 :
http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/ii/i006951.htm

Another biplane jet was Henri Coanda's from 1910:

http://www.ufx.org/avro/coanda/coanda.htm

A *tractor*, biplane jet aircraft.
Old October 31st 03, 10:39 PM
Greg Hennessy

On 31 Oct 2003 18:50:56 GMT, nt (Gordon) wrote:

Don't forget the PZL M-15 :
http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/ii/i006951.htm

MY EYES MY EYES

A plane only its mother could love.

greg
--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
The Following is a true story.....
Old October 31st 03, 10:49 PM
robert arndt

Alan Minyard wrote in message . ..

The very first jet WAS a bi-plane:

http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/His...aAeroplane.htm

Rob

No, the "aircraft" that you are referring to never achieved controlled flight. It
promptly crashed when a take off was attempted. It was not the first jet, it
was a failed attempt.

Al Minyard

The Coanda Turbine Aeroplane was the first aircraft built with a jet
engine. I never claimed it flew. And if you had read the account of
Coanda's failure it was not due to the aircraft but Coanda himself,
who was not a pilot.
He never got a second chance to make another one to have a real pilot
fly it... so we'll never know if it would have be a success or not.
It shows, however, how interesting WW1 could have been if the jet
biplane worked. Imagine jet Fokkers and Camels!
BTW Al, if you knew anything more about Coanda you would realize that
the Nazis forced him to work on a disc aircraft project during WW2. He
came up with a design for a 20 meter diameter lenticular machine with
12 Jumo 004 jet engines, but this project never went beyond the design
stage and windtunnel testing.

Rob
Old November 1st 03, 01:08 AM

Greg Hennessy wrote:

On 31 Oct 2003 18:50:56 GMT, nt (Gordon) wrote:

Don't forget the PZL M-15 :
http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/ii/i006951.htm

MY EYES MY EYES

A plane only its mother could love.

greg

A very plain plane
--

-Gord.
Old November 1st 03, 08:09 PM
Alan Minyard

On 31 Oct 2003 14:49:46 -0800, (robert arndt) wrote:

[...]

It really bugs you that the Nazi's lost, doesn't it? That contraption was
incapable of controlled fight, and was not a true jet or turbojet. It was
a bad joke.

Al Minyard
Old November 1st 03, 11:02 PM
Mike Marron

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

Thats why they call it the Coanda Effect after all.

You may have heard stories saying that the "Coanda Effect"
(as opposed to Bernoulli's Principle) explains how an airplane
wing works.

Alas, these are just fairy tales. They are full of errors and are
worse than useless.

Old November 2nd 03, 12:03 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

Thats why they call it the Coanda Effect after all.

You may have heard stories saying that the "Coanda Effect"
(as opposed to Bernoulli's Principle) explains how an airplane
wing works.

I have heard stories that allege Elvis is alive and well and
working in a chip shop in Burnley too.

Alas, these are just fairy tales. They are full of errors and are
worse than useless.

Which has nothing to do with the Coanda effect or Henry Coanda's
work.

Keith

Old November 2nd 03, 12:23 AM
Mike Marron

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:
"Mike Marron" wrote:

You may have heard stories saying that the "Coanda Effect"
(as opposed to Bernoulli's Principle) explains how an airplane
wing works.

I have heard stories that allege Elvis is alive and well and
working in a chip shop in Burnley too.

Ain't it the truth! Almost as bad as the stories that allege the Brits
are "athletic" because they keep thinking that 'soccer' is a sport.
What a bunch of weakass Euro-peons chasing a round ball
around. They should bend and submit to America like always,
since we have the sense to PICK THE DAMN BALL UP AND
THROW IT."

Alas, these are just fairy tales. They are full of errors and are
worse than useless.

Which has nothing to do with the Coanda effect or Henry Coanda's
work.

The Coanada theory of lift brings to mind a question asked
of me, more as a joke than a serious desire for knowledge, about
the truckload of birds approaching a weigh station and the driver
knowing the truck exceeded the legal limits.

As he approached the scales, the driver smacked the side of the
trailer violently with his hand, thereby scaring the birds into
flight and lightening the load as he rolled slowly over the scales,
smiling at the inspector as he was now below the maximum weight.

According to the "Coanda" believers, if the birds actually get their
lift from Bernoulli, then there would be no downward pressure change
and the truck would weigh the same.

Old November 2nd 03, 05:27 AM

Mike Marron wrote:

As he approached the scales, the driver smacked the side of the
trailer violently with his hand, thereby scaring the birds into
flight and lightening the load as he rolled slowly over the scales,
smiling at the inspector as he was now below the maximum weight.

According to the "Coanda" believers, if the birds actually get their
lift from Bernoulli, then there would be no downward pressure change
and the truck would weigh the same.

By God, I've read that last para there about 15 times and I still
don't know what 'you' believe...so do 'you' think that the truck
weighed the same or not? (also I'm assuming that the trailer with
the birds inside was more or less air tight)?
--

-Gord.