B-58 Hustler

Old March 31st 04, 06:57 PM
Darrell

Kevin Brooks wrote:
"Darrell" wrote in message
news:sTnac.30514$wl1.6853@fed1read06...
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Darrell wrote:
B-58 we also had high speed segments which
we flew at 600 KIAS.

Darrell, how did the B-58 ride at 600KIAS down low?
The B-57 would crack your head on the canopy bouncing along at 360
on a hot day, near 500' AGL
At least we were going slow enough to read the names of the towns
as we went by.............

It flew pretty smooth, Rick. With the delta wing it seemed like it
cut through the turbulence. Sort of like water skiing. With 2 skis
you feel every ripple. With a single slalom ski it bites deeper
into the water and dampens out lots of the surface turbulence. With
moderate turbulence we'd get an occasional slap-bang but not very
bad. This, at a time when B-52s were aborting the route due to
turbulence.

Since the B-58 community must have been rather small, given its
limited production and service life, I wonder if you recall ever
serving with a pilot by the name of Wright? He also flew the
B-66/EB-66 at some point in his career.

Brooks

Rick Clark
MFE

Yeah we had a guy whose nickname was "Wingtip" Wright who supposedly dinged
a wing tip of a B-58. We had both a Charles R. Wright and a John C. Wright.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

Old March 31st 04, 08:17 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Darrell" wrote in message

Darrell wrote:
[...]

I cannot recall the gentleman's first name. He retired as an LTC, probably
in the very early seventies; went onto a second career as a mathmatics
teacher. He was my ninth grade geometry teacher back in the 75-76 timeframe.
ISTR he said he liked flying the B-58, and I remember he was a particularly
religious gent. Interestingly, we had a second teacher at our school who was
also a retired SAC vet; B/N on B-47's, survived one crash (either landing or
T/O, can't recall which) and spent about a year convalescing--used to laugh
about how his buddies used to collect him and wheel him out to the
flightline and cram his rearend into an aircraft periodically so he could
still collect his flight pay while he was doing so.

Brooks

Old April 1st 04, 07:51 PM
Darrell

[...]

I guess you don't recall the B-47 guy either? I went from instructing
T-33s in Pilot Training to the front seat of a B-47 while still a 1st Lt.
Hunter AFB at Savannah, Ga. Then to the left seat of (then) brand new
B-52Hs at Minot (ugh) ND. It was sort of a step sideways to go from the
B-52H with flight directors, terrain avoidance radar, etc to the B-58
Hustler. While very advanced in the airframe and engine areas it was rather
primitive in cockpit devices. Pretty good autopilot/autothrottles, though.
Plus there was only room for one pilot so you got every takeoff and landing
plus no one could look over your shoulder. We had several TB-58s which was
modified to have an instructor pilot position behind the pilot and did not
carry a navigator, just the pilots and a DSO.

I retired as a LtCol also on 1-1-72. Later got on with Air California and
made Captain in Boeing 737s is just over 2 years (deregulation expansion)
and American Airlines bought Air Cal 9 years later and I flew the MD-80, and
Boeings 757/767 for AA until I got booted out at age 60 in '93 (mandatory
retirement). Since then I've taught ground school and flight simulator in
the MD-80 at FSI/FSB/Boeing Alteon at Long Beach part time.

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Old April 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Darrell" wrote in message
[...]

The B-47 guy was named Dewey Johnson--he was the faculty advisor for our
high school Key Club, otherwise I would never have recalled his name. I
*think* the Wright might have been a Robert, but can't recall for sure. As
to johnson, I don't know where he served other than in Spain--I can still
remember him talking about how great a tour that was, with the US dollar
being so high against the local currency that he could afford to have a
gardener and housekeeper for his little villa. Real nice guy; I can remember
him telling us about a takeoff in a B-47 where the pilot forgot to properly
set the flaps, leading to them barely clearing the security shack at the
gate located off the end of the runway...

I retired as a LtCol also on 1-1-72. Later got on with Air California and
made Captain in Boeing 737s is just over 2 years (deregulation expansion)
and American Airlines bought Air Cal 9 years later and I flew the MD-80,

and
Boeings 757/767 for AA until I got booted out at age 60 in '93 (mandatory
retirement). Since then I've taught ground school and flight simulator in
the MD-80 at FSI/FSB/Boeing Alteon at Long Beach part time.

My Dad was a gunner on a B-29 during WWII; a few years ago I made contact
with his old AC. He had gone on to fly a long career with Delta, retiring
back in the seventies IIRC. Turned out his son had been flying CH-46's for
the USMC a year or so before my older brother flew UH-1D/H's in Vietnam, and
both flew medevac. Small world in some ways.

Brooks

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Old April 3rd 04, 12:23 AM
Darrell

The B-47 guy was named Dewey Johnson--he was the faculty advisor for our
high school Key Club, otherwise I would never have recalled his name. I
*think* the Wright might have been a Robert, but can't recall for sure. As
to johnson, I don't know where he served other than in Spain--I can still
remember him talking about how great a tour that was, with the US dollar
being so high against the local currency that he could afford to have a
gardener and housekeeper for his little villa. Real nice guy; I can

remember
him telling us about a takeoff in a B-47 where the pilot forgot to

properly
set the flaps, leading to them barely clearing the security shack at the
gate located off the end of the runway...

I don't think I knew Dewey. I only flew the B-47 for a short time in
Savannah, GA. 3 trips to Morocco,
Nouasseur Air Base outside of Casa Blanca. I did get to Moron and Madrid in
Spain in a B-58.

Old April 5th 04, 08:50 PM
OXMORON1

Darrell wrote:
snippage
I did get to Moron and Madrid in
Spain in a B-58.

Beautiful Torrejon...HE111's, Bf 109's (Well the CASA equivalent) in the air at
the same time as B-58's and C-124's.
"MAC 1525, you are fourth in line behind the 111 and the two

Rick Clark
MFE