Chicken Cannon Lovers

Old January 20th 04, 08:22 PM
BlackBeard

"Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal" wrote in message news:

I watched a portion of Myth Busters where the two knuckleheads tried to
debunk the "explosive decompression" phenomenon in the movies. You get the
picture. Gun goes off in plane. Fuselage rips open and 6-8 passengers, in
flight meals, luggage, and an unsuspecting flight attendant fly into the
atmosphere.

They pressurized a bone-yarded fuselage with a huffer and used a remote
control .45 to shoot out windows and fuselage to see if a large hole would
expand out the small starter hole.

Results: Small holes stayed small and made hissing noises.

Conclusion: Myth. Busted.

They failed, however, to introduce a 300/.78 slipstream into the equation,
but I doubt it would have changed the result.

Point being that these guys seem to make some critical assumptions that
*might* affect the results. I didn't see the whole show, but I don't
remember them ever addressing the lack of slip stream.

--Woody

Next time you're out here (yea right) I'll show you some video of our
recent tests. We did our own series of tests and recreated the vital
conditions. The conclusions are the same as you stated. Explosive
decompressions are great for the movies, not realistic though.

BlackBeard
Old January 20th 04, 08:32 PM
ZZBunker

Peter Skelton wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:27:56 -0500, "Bill Kambic"
wrote:

"Peter Skelton" wrote in message

We have conditional and absolute discharge, ie. the court saying
don't do it again, and don't bug us with this trivia respectively
to deal with this sort of sillyness. Isn't there something
similar in the states?

No, Sir.

Life can get a bit unpleasant for a judge
who lets things get tied up with too much effort for too little
crime.

Our Federal judges serve for life or good behavior (U.S. Constitution, Art.
III, Sec. 1).

Not much can happen to such an official who does get "tied down" in trivia.

It's not perfect but it helps

Perhaps. On the other hand it does keep the heavy hand of any given
administration from bringing direct pressure on judges for some specific
outcome.

Judges here are not subject to job pressure from politicians, but
there is a certain amount of peer review, and their decisions
are, of course, public knowledge. How do you react to a coworker
who's anal slowness keeps you from your family or who's nasty
behaviour makes customers yell at you?

We don't know. In the US we usually tell Judges
that if you're interested in customers and
Lawyers, you should be a *New York* Judge.
Since the rest of the universe doesn't
work like New York.
Old January 20th 04, 09:44 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Kevin Brooks wrote:

Probably lucky he does not reside south of our mutual border. A lot of the
birds of prey are protected here.

All raptors/accipters are protected here too. If I remember correctly
he did get a permit to have the hawk stuffed (otherwise the
taxidermist would not have touched it). That wasn't a problem because
CF Range Control Officers are ex officio game wardens, and the
incident was duly reported to the local RCO.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 20th 04, 09:53 PM
John S. Shinal

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

Hmmm, I suspect when dealing with a kg of water it makes a
big difference to the fan blades if that water is frozen
in a single lump.

It was interesting the extraordinary damage a 100MPH chicken
caused to that little Beechcraft. It looked like a 20mm hit.

Old January 20th 04, 10:10 PM
David Windhorst

Dale Farmer wrote:

Peter Kemp wrote:

On or about Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:28:37 +0000, Alan Lothian
allegedly uttered:

In article , Keith Willshaw
wrote:

Hmmm, I suspect when dealing with a kg of water it makes a
big difference to the fan blades if that water is frozen
in a single lump.

Indeed. Strange to relate, more windscreens are smashed by hailstones
than by raindrops.

Hailstones can get rather larger than raindrops. In the various
updrafts within stormclouds the raindrops grow until they reach a size
at which they're too unstable in the airflows and fission into smaller
drops, hail just keeps growing until the updrafts can't keep them up.

I've never been hurt by rainfall, but one short shower of 1" hail left
me very battered, slightly dazed, and in need of a large drink and a
quiet lie down.

I'd be interested to know what experiments, if any,
the programme did in order to reach its conclusions. Obviously they are
quite correct about kinetic energy and momentum, but transfer of
momentum operates in many different ways depending very much on the
nature of the materials in which the transfer occurs.

I have to admit I missed the show and will keep an eye out for the
inevitable rerun as it would be one I'd like to see.
---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster

There was a hailstorm in Texas several years ago during a large outdoor
festival of some sort. Couple of folks maimed, lots hospitalized, millions
of
dollars in property damage. ( Broken glass, totaled cars, roof damage. )

--Dale

Storytellers like to toss around the phrase "_____ball-sized hail," the
diameter of the ball growing with the teller's brazenness. But back in
the late 70s, when I was working as an insurance adjuster in eastern end
of Tornado Alley (southern Illinois, Western Kentucky and Tennessee,
southwestern Missouri), I got a claim once where some folks on a farm
said they'd had some structures and vehicles damaged by "baseball-sized
hail." We'd heard such things around the office plenty of times, but
these folks had gone to the trouble to bag some of the stones and stick
them in a freezer. And they weren't exaggerating; somewhere I've still
got the Polaroids. Given that the projectiles in question had had a
chance to melt some -- it was summer, after all -- before the insureds
figured it was safe enough to go outside and assess, it's possible they
had been the size of softballs when they came down. The tin roof on
their tractor shed looked life it'd been hit with cluster bomblets.

That area sees some pretty extreme weather phenomena. My dad still
lives there; he says that a twister that came through last summer and
killed a couple people just a mile from his house was so powerful it
pulled utility poles straight out of the ground without breaking them.
He'd been in the claims business for 30 years, and maintains it was the
most awe-inspiring damage he'd ever personally witnessed.

Old January 20th 04, 10:29 PM
Ogden Johnson III

David Windhorst wrote:

[Snip previous hailstones stuff]

got the Polaroids. Given that the projectiles in question had had a
chance to melt some -- it was summer, after all -- before the insureds
figured it was safe enough to go outside and assess, it's possible they
had been the size of softballs when they came down. The tin roof on
their tractor shed looked life it'd been hit with cluster bomblets.

12" or 16" softballs?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old January 21st 04, 12:00 AM
Duke of URL

In ,
Ogden Johnson III radiated into the WorldWideWait:

One of the few judges impeached by the House and convicted by the
Senate got his revenge. Election to the House of Representatives
that impeached him. He's still serving, having been reelected
regularly.

??? Who the HELL is that?

Old January 21st 04, 01:19 AM
Bill Kambic

"Duke of URL" wrote in message

One of the few judges impeached by the House and convicted by the
Senate got his revenge. Election to the House of Representatives
that impeached him. He's still serving, having been reelected
regularly.

??? Who the HELL is that?

The ex-Federal judge from Miami who got nailed for tax evasion, if memory
serves?

I just can't quite recall his name.

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

chicken thief Del Rawlins Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 03:20 AM
Britain Reveals Secret Weapon - Chicken Powered Nuclear Bomb ! Ian Military Aviation 0 April 2nd 04 03:18 PM
WWII 20mm cannon in planes zxcv Military Aviation 13 March 10th 04 10:52 AM
Future military fighters and guns - yes or no ? championsleeper Military Aviation 77 March 3rd 04 04:11 AM
Development of British cannon ammuniation during WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 14 December 29th 03 09:25 AM