Chicken Cannon Lovers

Old January 23rd 04, 08:22 AM
Eugene Griessel

"Susan VanCamp" wrote in message hlink.net...
Birds and Lieutenants scare me more than anything in the air...

I second Jim's words -- seems the MOAs and Restricted Areas have an
abundance of turkey buzzards and re-tailed hawks -- lethal-sized creatures
when they get in your way at high Q.

I've run into four birds in the course of my career, 3 daytime, 1 at night
(at 1500'AGL). Fortunately, they were the smaller varieties -- 2 starlings,
2 undetermined. One of the starlings punched a neat hole the size of my
fist in the leading edge of the intake, went through a couple vertical frame
members and lodged next to a fuel cell. Never knew anything happened 'til a
PC found it post flight in the fuel pits...Class C damage at the time.

Luckiest bird strike story I've ever heard occurred in the sixties at
the AFB I was living on at the time. Pupil pilot on solo night flight
in MB326 was on the approach, a couple of miles out, when he called
the tower saying he was climbing and abandoning the approach as he
thought he'd suffered a birdstrike. Aircraft
seemed fine so he made a second approach and landed safely without
further ado.

On inspection feathers, blood, damage to the wing leading edge and
sand were found. Sand? Next morning they took a chopper and flew
along this character's
flight path to see if they could find the victim. And indeed, about 4
miles before the runway they found a dead ostrich on a sand dune. The
pupil pilot had been misreading his altimeter by a 1000 feet
(apparently fairly easy to do with those old altimeters) and was
virtually on the deck when he thought he was up in the wild blue (or
black, for pedants) still. When he climbed to gain altitude and
assess the damage it is thought he must have barely scraped past a set
of high-tension electrical cables right in front of the dune. Very
lucky little boy, that!
Old January 23rd 04, 09:59 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Ned Pike"
wrote:

In ,
Glenfiddich spewed:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:00:37 -0500, "Jim Carriere"
wrote:

"Kristan Roberge" wrote in message
How often do you strike 4 pounds of bird? Other than ducks and
geese, I can't think of many 4 pound birds you might run a plane
into.

Um, there's lots... I've dodged plenty of hawks and buzzards- big
ones over 5 foot wingspan too. It depends what area you fly in I
guess.

Buzzards aren't God's smartest creatures either, they don't seem to
yield to anything no matter how big it is.
Even seag(ulls will give you right of wayif they see you in time.)

AND if they are not so gorged on roadkill that they can take off.
I lost a radiator grille and a headlamp to a severely overloaded
seagull on the road near Lossie - its rate of climb was inches/hour.
As to lack of smarts - it was eating another seagull that had been
smooshed on the road earlier, it never entered its greedy little brain
to wonder how that meal had gotten there.

Seagulls and aircraft are an even worse mix.

Given such gross stupidity, can anyone explain why all gulls are protected
under current US law?

Equality of protection with buoys
Old January 23rd 04, 03:45 PM
Mike Kanze

As to lack of smarts - it was eating another seagull that had been smooshed
on the road earlier, it never entered its greedy little brain to wonder how
that meal had gotten there.

Seagulls and aircraft are an even worse mix.

Their lack of smarts are at least equaled by some humans. Case in point:
The Civil Engineer Corps geniuses who placed the base dump at NAS Whidbey
Island close-by the approach end of runway 31 when Ault Field was originally
built. (The dump was decommissioned sometime in the 60s or early 70s,
IIRC.)

Seagulls and sailors have never mixed very well, less so seagulls and naval
aircraft.

--
Mike Kanze

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

-Mark Twain

Old January 23rd 04, 05:19 PM
Jim Carriere

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
As to lack of smarts - it was eating another seagull that had been

smooshed
on the road earlier, it never entered its greedy little brain to wonder

how
that meal had gotten there.

Yeah... I'll have to take back my comment about buzzards being dumber than
seagulls, but after one almost hit my car this morning three seconds after
he took off (I was doing 25mph, he would have hit me, not I hit him). I
feel I must reconsider my ordering of the intellectual higherarchy of animal
kingdom avians... maybe seagulls are just responsive to airplane noise, but
otherwise dumb.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:39 PM
Duke of URL

In ,
Ned Pike radiated into the
WorldWideWait:
wrote:
[...]

??? They aren't. Who told you that? I can go out in a field and shoot
any of them I want to. I wouldn't, of course, because there's nothing
you can do with them.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:55 PM
Yofuri

The hairiest I saw at Whidbey was a VA-52 A6E that took a bird hit in the
pilot's windscreen in the Okanogan area at about 12,000. It was a glancing
blow (no bird remains in the cockpit, species unknown). It took a chunk out
of the center of the panel about 5" high and 1-1/2" wide. Both 'nauts had
their visors down and gloves on like good boys. The hairy part was
whistling across Seattle and into Whidbey NORDO, because the glass fragments
jammed the UHF thumbwheels between frequencies.

The windscreen panels were five layers of laminated glass 1-1/4" thick, a
leatherpounder's dream.

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is:

Old January 23rd 04, 07:55 PM
Zamboni

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
As to lack of smarts - it was eating another seagull that had been

smooshed
on the road earlier, it never entered its greedy little brain to wonder

how
that meal had gotten there.

Yeah... I'll have to take back my comment about buzzards being dumber than
seagulls, but after one almost hit my car this morning three seconds after
he took off (I was doing 25mph, he would have hit me, not I hit him). I
feel I must reconsider my ordering of the intellectual higherarchy of

animal
kingdom avians... maybe seagulls are just responsive to airplane noise,

but
otherwise dumb.

I almost hit an Bald Eagle with my truck once. The eagle was cruising down
the river until it got to the bridge, then just lifted up just enough to
clear the railing - and the hood of my truck - then over the other railing
and back down to the river. Two feet to the left and he would have come
through the windshield. I swear there were scuff marks on the dirt on my
hood from him dragging his feet across it. I wonder if he even noticed the
cars on the bridge at all.

Years ago, I saw one of the last California Condors cruising down a 2-lane
freeway (checking out roadkill?), and only 15 feet off the ground as we went
underneath him. I can only image what he would have done to a motorhome.
--
Zamboni

Old January 23rd 04, 10:24 PM
Mike Kanze

I can only image what he would have done to a motorhome.

Straight bombing run or Kamikaze attack? g

Either way, the Law of Gross Tonnage favors the motorhome less with a
carrion bird than with a sparrow.
--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

Old January 23rd 04, 10:49 PM
Mike Kanze

Rick,

The hairy part was whistling across Seattle and into Whidbey NORDO

Almost as hairy as the 0-dark-30 drive to the base up highway 525 for the
brief and the pre-flight. Especially if one had been celebrating heavily in
Seattle the night before. Even during the early 1970s when the Rock had
only a third of its current population, 525 could be a killer.

One of my hairiest - and most satisfying - experiences was a near mid-air
with some civilian who crossed our flight path in the Boardman Restricted
Area just as we started a 30 degree dive onto the target. We pulled off the
run immediately (weren't certain but that maybe he'd brought some friends
along), climbed, turned back, and got the *******'s number. Called Seattle
Center immediately with it.

Learned later that he'd done this crap before, and that the Administrator
subsequently lunched on the guy's gonads after jerking his license
permanently.

We always referred to the airspace below 10,000 ft. MSL as "Injun Country,"
due to all them Navajos, Comanches, Cherokees, Arapahos, etc. drilling about
the area.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:33 PM
Duke of URL

In ,
Mike Kanze radiated into the WorldWideWait:

The hairy part was whistling across Seattle and into Whidbey NORDO

Almost as hairy as the 0-dark-30 drive to the base up highway 525
for the brief and the pre-flight. Especially if one had been
celebrating heavily in Seattle the night before.

??? You didn't observe the 24-hour-no-alcohol rule?

chicken thief Del Rawlins Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 03:20 AM
Britain Reveals Secret Weapon - Chicken Powered Nuclear Bomb ! Ian Military Aviation 0 April 2nd 04 03:18 PM
WWII 20mm cannon in planes zxcv Military Aviation 13 March 10th 04 10:52 AM
Future military fighters and guns - yes or no ? championsleeper Military Aviation 77 March 3rd 04 04:11 AM
Development of British cannon ammuniation during WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 14 December 29th 03 09:25 AM