iGlide

Old March 23rd 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
runner4065

Default iGlide

Is there any value to iGlide (iOS app) if you don't have their sensor / vario hardware? What features remain?
Old March 23rd 16, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Isn't one of only two gliding apps for iPhone? If one already has an iPhone no need to buy a navigation display. Compatible with 3 different live tracking sites and upload to OLC. Emailable IGC file. Updating seems easy. Beautiful screen image and easy to use. Drop and drag task or go to that is easily changed on the fly. Suppose to work well with Flarm.

But what do I know, I just downloaded last night.
Old March 24th 16, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 10:36:27 AM UTC-7, runner4065 wrote:
Is there any value to iGlide (iOS app) if you don't have their sensor / vario hardware? What features remain?

All of the features remain, except:

Instantaneous wind provided by the Vario
Flarm (and ADSB) target display
Thermal assistant using instantaneous wind

I think everything else works. On a 6 series phone you have barometric altitude as well as GPS altitude in the phone. The GPS in the phone is pretty much as good as all the others in the glider. If you add the Air Connect from Air Avionics, you can stream vario and Flarm data from a C 302 or whatever.

I have been flying with the Vario and iPhone for 2 years, an iPhone 6+ last year as my primary flight display. For awhile I had occasional problems with it disconnecting from the Vario WiFi server. When it does so, it falls back on the internal iPhone GPS and barograph. It often took me the better part of an hour to notice, so yeah, it works pretty well. I had to put up a navbox showing GPS source so I could catch it.
Old March 24th 16, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes, but you must have an iPhone to run it...

Having said that, I just flew my new Stemme from Laredo, TX to Payson,
AZ and my copilot/CFI had an iPad, Foreflight and Stratus. I was very
impressed with that combination.

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 24th 16, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 7:57:58 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yes, but you must have an iPhone to run it...

Having said that, I just flew my new Stemme from Laredo, TX to
Payson, AZ and my copilot/CFI had an iPad, Foreflight and Stratus.*
I was very impressed with that combination.

On 3/23/2016 11:32 AM, Casey wrote:

Isn't one of only two gliding apps for iPhone? If one already has an iPhone no need to buy a navigation display. Compatible with 3 different live tracking sites and upload to OLC. Emailable IGC file. Updating seems easy. Beautiful screen image and easy to use. Drop and drag task or go to that is easily changed on the fly. Suppose to work well with Flarm.

But what do I know, I just downloaded last night.

--

Dan, 5J

It runs on an iPad as well.
Old March 24th 16, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:57:58 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yes, but you must have an iPhone to run it...

Having said that, I just flew my new Stemme from Laredo, TX to
Payson, AZ and my copilot/CFI had an iPad, Foreflight and Stratus.*
I was very impressed with that combination.

On 3/23/2016 11:32 AM, Casey wrote:

Isn't one of only two gliding apps for iPhone? If one already has an iPhone no need to buy a navigation display. Compatible with 3 different live tracking sites and upload to OLC. Emailable IGC file. Updating seems easy. Beautiful screen image and easy to use. Drop and drag task or go to that is easily changed on the fly. Suppose to work well with Flarm.

But what do I know, I just downloaded last night.

--

Dan, 5J

and ForeFlight runs on iPhone 6s Plus
Old March 25th 16, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

snip

It runs on an iPad as well.

Hmmmmmmm.... That's almost enough to entice me to sip from the Apple
kool-aide.
--
Dan, 5J

Old March 25th 16, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 3/24/2016 5:32 PM:
snip

It runs on an iPad as well.

Hmmmmmmm....� That's almost enough to entice me to sip from the Apple
kool-aide.

iGlide is gorgeous on my iPad Mini because it uses the extra screen area
to show more, but the Mini is not as bright as my iPhone 6. I plan to
use my iPhone with iGlide in my ASH 26 E, and try an iPad with iGlide in
my Phoenix, where the panel has the room for it. The newer iPad minis
may be brighter than my iPad mini, but I think it will be adequate.

email me)

Old March 25th 16, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Andrzej Kobus wrote on 3/24/2016 10:28 AM:
Dan, 5J

and ForeFlight runs on iPhone 6s Plus

And also on a plain iPhone 6. Foreflight, iGlide, and some other apps
still don't use up it's meager 16 GB memory, either.

email me)

Old March 25th 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:57:58 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
... I just flew my new Stemme from Laredo, TX to
Payson, AZ

Hey Guys! He has a new Stemme! (Congrats Dan. I hope you have lots of fun in it.)

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 04:14 AM
Iglide chris johnson Soaring 2 August 1st 15 03:22 PM
iPhone 6 Plus and iGlide jfitch Soaring 39 May 20th 15 01:07 AM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM