New Google Groups format

Old November 14th 20, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default New Google Groups format

On 11/13/20 9:42 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
jp wrote on 11/13/2020 7:44 PM:
On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 6:33:10 PM UTC-8, kinsell wrote:
On 11/13/20 6:59 PM, jp wrote:
On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 5:44:19 PM UTC-8, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:33:39 -0800, Stu Venters wrote:

Is there a good free one?
Eternal-September, http://www.eternal-september.org/
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I've given up on Thunderbird. Clearly I have no idea how to set it
up as a newsreader for rec.aviation.soaring and I am too dumb to
understand the fragmentary (for me) help.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...sgroup-account

Similar to configuring an email account.

I have read that support document and tried to follow it but had no
success..Â* For one thing, I guess I don't know what to put in for the
name of the rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup.Â* I put in
rec.aviation.soaring, tried , and
a few other guesses but none apparently worked.Â* I'm likely screwing
it up somehow on my Mac.

I use this for the location:

Using eternal-september as the server, my location is:

You'll need an account at one of the free or paid usenet servers, and
they would have that information for you.

-Dave

Old November 14th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

I now registered with eternal-september, installed Thunderbird on my PC, configured it to connect to that server, and it works. Thanks! Only works for Usenet groups though, not true Google Groups such as our club forum.

To make it work in Thunderbird, I gave it this server name: "news.eternal-september.org", and then in the Server Settings, need to check "always request authentication when connecting to this server". The first time you connect, Thunderbird will ask you for the username (that you chose in eternal-september), and the password (that it emailed after registration). After that Thunderbird will remember those and login for you silently.
Old November 14th 20, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 5:33:36 PM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:
I now registered with eternal-september, installed Thunderbird on my PC, configured it to connect to that server, and it works. Thanks! Only works for Usenet groups though, not true Google Groups such as our club forum.

To make it work in Thunderbird, I gave it this server name: "news.eternal-september.org", and then in the Server Settings, need to check "always request authentication when connecting to this server". The first time you connect, Thunderbird will ask you for the username (that you chose in eternal-september), and the password (that it emailed after registration). After that Thunderbird will remember those and login for you silently.

All the newsgroup messages appear in Thunderbird in a monospaced font. I know this server (eternal-september) only sends plain text contents, but can I ask Thunderbird to show it in a more readable proportional font?
Old November 15th 20, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 6:02:34 PM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

- found it: in the Tools / Options / General look for Fonts and Colors, click Advanced, and uncheck "use fixed width font for plain text".

And making messages from the crazy Canadian invisible is a snap!

Old November 15th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 11/14/20 3:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I now registered with eternal-september, installed Thunderbird on my PC, configured it to connect to that server, and it works. Thanks! Only works for Usenet groups though, not true Google Groups such as our club forum.

To make it work in Thunderbird, I gave it this server name: "news.eternal-september.org", and then in the Server Settings, need to check "always request authentication when connecting to this server". The first time you connect, Thunderbird will ask you for the username (that you chose in eternal-september), and the password (that it emailed after registration). After that Thunderbird will remember those and login for you silently.

I think that's the step that I missed in my attempts to help.

--
Dan
5J
Old November 15th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 11/14/20 3:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
I now registered with eternal-september, installed Thunderbird on my PC, configured it to connect to that server, and it works. Thanks! Only works for Usenet groups though, not true Google Groups such as our club forum.

I subscribe to a Google Group using the email option, then use a filter
to direct all those messages to a dedicated folder. Since it's low
volume, I just save substantially all the postings indefinitely.

R.A.S. I autoexpire the messages after 120 days or so to make navigation
through current messages easier.

-Dave
Old November 18th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

It occurs to me that the reasoning for this change to the new Google Groups format, and how it impacts replying "privately" to an author (I miss this feature) is that Google wants to make all of their groups operate the same from a permissions standpoint.

Because USENET news groups effectively have no per user, or per group, permissions, anyone can say anything to anyone (witness our least favorite RAS denizen Daryl S. Kabatoff). Basically there is no owner, or manager, of the RAS Google group so there is no one in control. Thus a reader of USENET news via Google Groups doesn't have the correct "permissions" to reply privately.

Google doesn't want to support a unique interface for a small group of users. Understandable from their point of view but I don't like it...

My $0.02.

- John (OHM)
Old February 15th 21, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 5:33:36 PM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:
I now registered with eternal-september, installed Thunderbird on my PC, configured it to connect to that server, and it works. Thanks! Only works for Usenet groups though, not true Google Groups such as our club forum.

To make it work in Thunderbird, I gave it this server name: "news.eternal-september.org", and then in the Server Settings, need to check "always request authentication when connecting to this server". The first time you connect, Thunderbird will ask you for the username (that you chose in eternal-september), and the password (that it emailed after registration). After that Thunderbird will remember those and login for you silently.

In the last week no new RAS messages have arrived via eternal-september. Anybody know what's going on?