Q: PBY

Old February 26th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Peter Twydell

Default Q: PBY

In message
,
Hawkeye writes
On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:
Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
(pontoons) can swing up, so that the pontoon becomes the wingtip.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...K_RNZAF_Catali...

That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
where's the tail wheel? Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung

wrote:
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircra...by-5a_ra98.JPG

OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;

1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
2. All gears down, potoons up,
3. Gears up, potoons down,
4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.

My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
separately also? If so, why?

Wil

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com

It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
nose gear!

No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
gear.

Comparisons he
http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old February 26th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Peter Twydell wrote:
It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
nose gear!

No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
gear.

Comparisons he
http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.

Well, I just learned something I didn't know: that all the models including the
PBY-5 were flying boats and that the first amphibian models started with the
PBY-5A model. This newsgroup can be an amazing resource, when we aren't
fighting over politics.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 26th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Dale[_3_]

In article ,
Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:
[...]

Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
nosewheel door.
Old February 26th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
John Keeney

On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale wrote:
In article ,
*Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircra...y-5a_ra98..JPG

[...]

nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
Not to mention the older style tail.
Old February 26th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
William Hung[_2_]

wrote:
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircra...by-5a_ra98.JPG

OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;

1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
2. All gears down, potoons up,
3. Gears up, potoons down,
4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.

My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
separately also? *If so, why?

Wil

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com- Hide quoted text -

Well, since you have posted this picture and Peter Twydell has pointed
out that what we are looking at is a beaching gear and nt a landing
gear(tail heavy and no accomadation for retraction), I've learned a
lot about the PBY.

To answer your question, the two little wheels about five feet south
of the two gentleman's legs would be the "tail wheels(for beaching)"

Now, only if I can hit the big one. The PBY would definitely be my
flying ATV.

Wil
Old February 26th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 25, 11:59*pm, John Keeney wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale wrote:

In article ,
*Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:
[...]

Not to mention the older style tail.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, Peter's right and like Mortimer said, this place is great for
learning about aviation.

Wil
Old February 26th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Rolf Blom

On 2008-02-26 05:59, John Keeney wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:56 pm, Dale wrote:
In article ,
Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:
[...]

Interesting thread, I always liked the PBY.

I see that the catalina.org.nz states: "all surviving operational
aircraft are amphibians".

I think I found a likely reference to the OP's plane in a PBY survivors
list at the Catalina society;
http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-...2_articleid/23

C/n 1656 from that list, matches the one in the photo, but with slightly
different registration: N9521C
(the Photo text has N952ZIC - that may simply be a misspelling)

In any case with that C/n, the plane is listed as a PBY5a, just as the
photo says, so it's an amphibian, owned by 'Training Services Inc TA',
based at Virginia Beach.

Anyone living nearby & so inclined could perhaps go and ask about the
nose gear?

/Rolf
Old February 26th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Peter Twydell

In message
,
William Hung writes
On Feb 25, 11:59*pm, John Keeney wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale wrote:

In article ,
*Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:

[...]

It's nice to know one's efforts are appreciated.

I was able to put my pedant/nitpicker hat on here as a result of
converting the Airfix PBY-5A to a USN PBY-5 many years ago. Plugged the
wheel wells with balsa, smoothed over with a mixture of talc and clear
dope. Blue Gray/Light Gray camo with tail stripes and national insignia,
all hand painted.

A share in the Catalina at Duxford was available for about GBP 17k last
year. Bit beyond my budget at the moment!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old February 27th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
John Keeney

On 2008-02-26 05:59, John Keeney wrote:

On Feb 25, 10:56 pm, Dale wrote:
In article ,
*Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:
[...]

/Rolf- Hide quoted text -

Maybe we're looking at different pictures. There's been more than one
posted here.
Which URL are you referring to?
Old February 27th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Rolf Blom

On 2008-02-26 05:59, John Keeney wrote:

On Feb 25, 10:56 pm, Dale wrote:
In article ,
Peter Twydell wrote:

In message
,

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps, I was referring to this picture, with a retracted nosewheel: