ASI overhaul?

Old June 3rd 04, 03:57 PM

Default ASI overhaul?

Hello all... just looking for input on getting and airspeed indicator
overhauled. Any luck on shops/etc? My True ASI in my cherokee appears to have a bit
of a static leak. Thoughts on shops? I had good luck with Kelly Instruments (KS)
with two gyro overhauls last summer.

Also, any thoughts on whether it's allowed or a good idea to get it repainted
to indicate KTS, rather than MPH on the major (and true) scale. Minor thing, I know,
but everything else I use (charts, GPS, DME, etc) is in NM, and it'd be one less step
to calculating TAS enroute.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old June 3rd 04, 08:31 PM

Rip wrote:
: I just had one overhauled by Keystone Instruments in PA.
: (http://www.keystoneinstruments.com/) If your TAS has a setting
: knob, try some grease around the knob shaft first. They always leak there.

I haven't looked too closely at it yet, but I thought there was a thread going
a few weeks ago where people swore the knob didn't matter. That would make sense,
because I can't imagine an ASI like this *NOT* leaking like a seive when the shop
pumps static down to 20kft with the gauge at STP.

Old June 3rd 04, 08:50 PM
PaulH

I've thought about the knots converstion also, but it seems to me that
reading in knots when all of your placards and POH standards are in
MPH is asking for trouble when things get dicey and you get busy.
Old June 4th 04, 02:43 AM
Blanche

Cory:

I had to have the ASI repaired (went for a new one, since I was
dealing with 35 year old ASI) and had it marked exactly the same
as the old one -- both MPH and KTS. Didn't cost anything
different.

Old June 4th 04, 01:43 PM
Rip

The static port is connected to the case. The knob shaft goes through
the case, and is supposed to be sealed with an "O" ring. If you grease
the shaft and your static leak goes away, you know where the problem is.

wrote:
Rip wrote:
: I just had one overhauled by Keystone Instruments in PA.
: (

Old June 4th 04, 02:51 PM

Rip wrote:
: The static port is connected to the case. The knob shaft goes through
: the case, and is supposed to be sealed with an "O" ring. If you grease
: the shaft and your static leak goes away, you know where the problem is.

I stand corrected... will check. Er... have my licensed/certified person
check for me.

Old June 4th 04, 02:56 PM

PaulH wrote:
: I've thought about the knots converstion also, but it seems to me that
: reading in knots when all of your placards and POH standards are in
: MPH is asking for trouble when things get dicey and you get busy.

Eh... yeah. I'm sure that's how the FAA would decree it's illegal to do this.
If they're both still painted on (just swapped), I figure it's still the same
indicator.

I was planning on converting the numbers in the POH (rarely consulted) and
checklists (usually consulted). Besides, most important speeds:
Vy: 85 mph \approx 75 kts
Vx: 75 mph \approx 65 kts

Easy to remember converted numbers. The rest are painted on the dial.