LXNav S80 landing gear voice warning not working

Old April 18th 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Default LXNav S80 landing gear voice warning not working

I hooked up reed sensors from my spoilers and landing gear to the S80 expecting to get voice warning but it isn't working. I know it is hooked up right because the hardware page displays the sensed positions. Gear up = red, gear down = green. Spoilers retracted = green, Spoilers open = red. Speech volume was maxed out too. Testing while flying made no difference.

Anyone out there have success?

-Dirk
Old April 19th 16, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Monday, 18 April 2016 20:12:19 UTC+2, ZP wrote:
I hooked up reed sensors from my spoilers and landing gear to the S80 expecting to get voice warning but it isn't working. I know it is hooked up right because the hardware page displays the sensed positions. Gear up = red, gear down = green. Spoilers retracted = green, Spoilers open = red. Speech volume was maxed out too. Testing while flying made no difference.

Anyone out there have success?

-Dirk

According to Uros from LXNav you should be able to get voice alerts for gear, airbrakes, stall, and FLARM warnings.

What version of firmware are you running?
Version 5.11 fixed a bug for digital inputs so maybe that is the problem.
Old April 19th 16, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 2:12:19 PM UTC-4, ZP wrote:
I hooked up reed sensors from my spoilers and landing gear to the S80 expecting to get voice warning but it isn't working. I know it is hooked up right because the hardware page displays the sensed positions. Gear up = red, gear down = green. Spoilers retracted = green, Spoilers open = red. Speech volume was maxed out too. Testing while flying made no difference.

Anyone out there have success?

-Dirk

I had the same issue when I first hooked mine up. Uros made a beta firmware available with the fix and it has been incorporated in the public release since last year. Make sure you are using the latest updates.
Old April 19th 16, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

I also have a new LXNav S80, and I didn't see anything in the manual about gear warnings. Maybe I missed it, but I also didn't see anything in the wiring that accommodated gear and spoiler switches. Any advice?
Old April 19th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

OK- I found the gear reference in the manual. I will have to do some fiddling to get it incorporated into the CAN-Bus wiring.
Old April 20th 16, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

I'm running version 5.04. This version fixed an issue for another problem I uncovered about the remote stick not working. I hope I'm not beta testing this thing. Can anyone out there with an S80 claim to have heard a voice warning? Whether that be stall, FLARM, gear or other? Let's cross that bridge first. If so, then there is a config issue most likely.

-Dirk
Old April 20th 16, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

BTW, when I stepped up to 5.04, it did fix the remote stick issue, but then the sound equalizer page was no longer accessible. I really don't care about that page anyway, but it does raise an eyebrow about the level of testing the product goes through prior to release.

The more annoying thing to me with the product in general is the missing "nearest airports" feature. If I could pick the top 5 features I'd want out of a flight computer, being able to display the NEAREST airports is in that list - in fact, it is probably #3 in the list. But the S80 doesn't have it. It will give you the ability to define the exact frequency at which to hear your favorite vario sounds (so what?!), it will allow you to choose the transparency of the airspace polygons (so what?!), you can even choose the default volume for the sounds on startup (so what?!), but it DOESN'T give you fundamental critical information like NEAREST airports! Really?! This has been in every software product ahead of it, so why abandon it? I'd gladly trade at least 10 features that this vario has that I don't care about to get the nearest airports list.

OK, off my soap box. At this point, Right now I'd like to know if the voice warnings are even functional per the marketing claims. Is the warning voice female or male? Can someone even answer that question?
Old April 20th 16, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've heard the stall warning voice on a recently installed S80. Sorry, don't know the firmware version and don't have access to the ship at the moment.. The voice sounded like a pretty stern female to me. At first, I though it was the front-seat passenger ...

Mike
XL5
Old April 20th 16, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 12:39:02 AM UTC-4, ZP wrote:
I'm running version 5.04. This version fixed an issue for another problem I uncovered about the remote stick not working. I hope I'm not beta testing this thing. Can anyone out there with an S80 claim to have heard a voice warning? Whether that be stall, FLARM, gear or other? Let's cross that bridge first. If so, then there is a config issue most likely.

-Dirk

Yes I've heard all the different voice alerts except for FLARM callouts.(I haven't flown in close enough proximity to another FLARM equipped glider to test that feature after the last release) I had the same issue with the stick not responding but the latest release fixed that. I've had some features that worked in the past suddenly not work after a new firmware release. There does seem to be a bit of Beta test operations going on but Uros always seems to be improving the product which makes it worth the hassles for me.

All the warnings other than FLARM are tied to airspeed sensed by the S80. To test the warnings you can run up the airspeed carefully with a large syringe by slowly adding pressure to the pitot tube. Warning*** Don't overspeed your airspeed indicator. Carefully watch the needle to make sure you don;t damage the instrument.***

If you run the speed up from zero with the spoilers unlocked you will get a warning check spoilers. Last time I checked this it would only happen the first time after powering the unit on. If you simulated a landing by reducing the airspeed to zero even for an extended period of time this warning would not happen again for another simulated take off by running the airspeed up again. (beta tester)

Once the airspeed is up over the stall speed you have configured if you reduce the airspeed below that target you wil get a STALL! STALL! until you speed up again or if landing the speed goes well below the target speed and the S80 figures out you landed. Maybe 15 knots below the stall speed for a certain time period. I get this on roll out after landing and it stops before the glider does.

In normal flight, simulated with airspeed above stall, if you extend spoilers without the landing gear down and locked you will get a "Check Landing Gear!" repeatedly until you close the spoilers or extend the gear.

This of course assumes you have your digital inputs correctly set up and your switches adjusted correctly to the glider controls and the input 1 and 2 setting statements are true when indicating green and false when red.
Old April 20th 16, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Thanks Greg. I'll try the new firmware. I got no warnings on my last flight so hopefully that is the issue. In the case of gear warning, I'm assuming both inputs must be registering "red" in the software for the gear warning sound. For spoiler warning, the spoiler input must be 'red', but gear input 'green'.

ASW-20C Gear Warning Switch Placement Jim Kellett Soaring 3 May 16th 09 01:20 AM
Gear Warning Gadget Guy Soaring 118 November 30th 05 10:43 PM
Gear Warning Gordon Schubert Soaring 11 November 22nd 05 03:27 AM
Gear Warning Gordon Schubert Soaring 0 November 18th 05 08:22 PM
gear warning plus K.P. Termaat Soaring 0 September 8th 03 08:33 AM