SSA sailplane tracker - too complex

Old July 23rd 16, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA sailplane tracker - too complex

Can someone explain how you are supposed to use the SSA sailplane tracker?
It seems way overly complex. You should have the option just to zoom and pan to an area of interest and see all the live tracks.

However it seems you have to figure out what airport the pilot took off from and what contest they are part of on what date etc.

It should be as simple as this, go to the map, see the aircraft, done!
https://www.flightradar24.com/

If I ever go missing it look hopeless that someone could find a broadcasting spot.
Or do you have to be registered with glideport.aero?

How do we get our club's current airport to be listed as an option?

thanks
Chris
Old July 24th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chris

Sorry the SSA Sailplane tracker is giving you trouble. You are correct in that registering with GlidePort.aero will open up additional features.

The app you compare us to is a different animal entirely. That app track aircraft that are active in the national airspace system (talking to ATC). Our app does not interact with the national ATC system.

To use our app you will need SPOT, InReach or the free smartphone app (glide track or IGC Droid).

Regarding your crew locating you in an emergency I trust that they will at least know the state you departed from and can find your track via a simple look down the list of sites reporting tracks that particular day. What tracking device are you using? For additional assistance you may refer to the two articles in Soaring magazine or the Sailplane Tracking Committee web page on the SSA web. There are several PDF manuals.

Hopefully the Tracker will become easier as you explore its features. We can't automate every flight at once because it would slow the animation down severely. Notice the site you referred to does not provide 3D imaging, track history, altitudes or instrument panel view.

Lane
Old July 24th 16, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 7:14:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hi Lane,

I'm with Chris.

A simple, intuitive tracker that works reliably with all smart phones would be of significantly greater value (no registration or agree-to-terms pages, please).

I don't care about simulated 3D, instrument panel views, weather or any other "enhancements", thank you. I want Joe club member to be able to go to the SSA site and very quickly account for the local fleet and see at a glance if someone is on the ground and requires assistance.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Old July 24th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

How would you track all club ships? I'm sure things are changing, but
I've never seen a club or rental glider with a transponder and I'll
wager that a lot of people (including me) don't have data plans on their
cell phones. Maybe when we're all ADS-B Out equipped...

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 24th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On the initial use of the Tracker you must agree to the terms (this was a requirement of the SSA retained lawyer). After first sign in the Tracker never requires that computer to acknowledge terms again.

If you want to quickly go to your clubs site, just bookmark that map page in your browser.

We can track all your club ships, if they have tracking devices onboard.

Remember please that this is a fee service that requires some equipment and knowledge on the users part. We will never be able to track gliders without devices, pop up on your computer without you pointing your browser, customize views for every pilot or just in general please all the people all the time. But hey, it's free!

Lane
Old July 24th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And it does work really well with all "smart" phones. We will not be able to make it work with non data plan phones. If you know a way please drop Pedja an email.

Lane
Old July 24th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It does work with "all smart phones".

Apple = Glide Track - free
Droid = IGCDroid - $10 one time purchase (free trial)

Lane
Old July 24th 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Tell me how it will work with my Android smart phone which has no data
plan. I might be interested in trying it then.

Old July 25th 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 16:02:18 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Tell me how it will work with my Android smart phone which has no data
plan. I might be interested in trying it then.

Maybe the only way would be something like we have in the UK, but your
population density may be too low to give good coverage.

There is a really cheap FLARM software receiver, that runs on a
RaspberryPi with a small collection of additional hardware that, with a
decent antenna, can pick up FLARM transmissions from up to 50km or so
away. These receivers belong to glider pilots, plane spotters and
(probably) some hams. All feed into a server that publishes maps showing
where the gliders are. For instance, planefinder.net and flightradar24.com
use FLARM to track gliders. I use OGN (glidernet.org) to track gliders
here in the UK. This technology is in use in a lot of countries including
Canada, but not, I note, in USA.

On 7/24/2016 11:09 AM, wrote:
It does work with "all smart phones".

Apple = Glide Track - free Droid = IGCDroid - $10 one time purchase
(free trial)

Lane

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

SSA Sailplane Tracker AS Soaring 27 September 25th 20 01:32 PM
SSA Sailplane Tracker Nick Kennedy Soaring 2 August 17th 14 12:46 AM
GliderPort/Sailplane Tracker instructions (for contest staff)? noel.wade Soaring 1 July 1st 13 03:20 AM
Sailplane Tracker oddness/bug (15-m and Open Nats) noel.wade Soaring 10 June 27th 13 10:57 PM
SSA Sailplane Tracker problem Grider Pirate Soaring 7 April 11th 10 02:22 PM