Asymmetrical thurst

Old March 19th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Asymmetrical thurst

Jim Carter wrote:
Watching the videos of the heavies crabbing to a landing in high cross winds
prompts me to ask: why don't they use asymmetrical thrust instead of
kicking it straight in the flare?

Even in a single, why don't we see more forward slips to a landing instead
of crab, kick, and pray?

Have these techniques gone the way of the steam gauges?

Using differential thrust would be asking for disaster.

The proper technique is fly the crab just as you would do an an ILS
localizer to remain on course during a crosswind. It is not a crab;
rather, a coordinated flight wind correction (track vs heading.

Then, as the flare begins down aileron is placed into the wind as the
opposite rudder is used to align the nose with the runway. If down
correctly, the wings remain level as the aircraft touches down, thus
preventing an engine pod from scraping the runway.

It wasn't always taught this way, but has since at least 1980, or so.
It had to be demonstrated on rating rides in the simulator with maximum
certified crosswind for the airplane.
Old March 24th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

In article ,
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote:
.
"Jim Carter" wrote in message

You're right - I got my slips reversed. Side slip into the wind, forward
slip toward the runway. It's all relative to the line of travel.

The way to remember it is that the names are backwards - in a side slip you
look forward, and in a forward slip you look out to the side to see where
you are going.

It's all semantics. A slip is a slip is a slip. The airplane doesn't know
the difference between a side slip and a forward slip because they are
aerodynamically identical. The only difference between a forward slip and a
side slip is the reason that the pilot is doing the slip: one is for
losing altitude without gaining airspeed, and the other is for staying
lined up on a runway in a crosswind.

-- Dane