Lowest power tow

Old January 19th 20, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Thompson[_2_]

Default Lowest power tow

I believe the benchmark lowest power tow was by a 1600 VW powered D31
Turbulent, from the Tiger Club at Redhill, UK, in the 1960's. A 15m
Slingsby Dart
was the victim. The tow was never repeated.

At 19:09 19 January 2020, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 10:30:51 PM UTC-7,
wro=
te:
What's the lowest power tow plane you've ever seen or towed by? An

Examin=
er of mine said his was a C150 with 100hp. I also once saw paperwork for
an=
85hp Luscombe to tow.

Essex & Suffolk GC had an Auster A5J and a Rollason Condor D.62C (130hp).

=
After a mishap with the Auster, the club acquired another Condor D.62A
(100=
hp). The A version only towed single seaters. I could see the stall
warni=
ng light going on and off in the Condor panels at times from the glider
end=
..

Old January 19th 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 12:30:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
What's the lowest power tow plane you've ever seen or towed by? An Examiner of mine said his was a C150 with 100hp. I also once saw paperwork for an 85hp Luscombe to tow.

I once took a tow in my HP-14 behind a Citabria or Luscombe. I don't know the horsepower - that plane had a tow hook mostly for use towing banners. It was a wild windy wave day and the tow seemed to take forever as I was using full-control-deflections in all directions in the turbulence. After release at 4000 AGL or so I hit consistent sink and beat the towplane back to the airport.
Old January 19th 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Burghall[_2_]

I don't know where it falls on this spectrum, but I had a tow behind a
Tiger Moth... and I was in a Slingsby Capstan (a heavy wooden two seater).
I was puzzled to be briefed about a farm in a wood on the horizon. We went
round it!

Old January 19th 20, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

After launching behind a 260hp tug for most of my gliding, I’ve been towed by a 152/150hp recently, at first it felt slow, but fine once used to it.
When I was towed behind the 260hp again recently it felt like a rocket launch, funny how ones expectations can change.
Old January 20th 20, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCM...=youtu.be&t=38

Yep, that's a trike
Old January 20th 20, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Surely the Russian hot air balloon launch of a glider? Footage on
youtube.

Old January 20th 20, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

On the topic of aerotow, I think it's not the net horsepower that matters. Rather, the remaining excess horsepower after moving and lifting the towplane, which can be quite sufficient if the towplane is light enough.
Old January 20th 20, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Yes, but you gotta add in the drag of the glider too. Out tow pilot would rather tow a G103 than a 2-33 !

Cookie

Old January 20th 20, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 17:19:40 -0800, Marton KSz wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCM...=youtu.be&t=38

Yep, that's a trike

....and a Rubik R.,22 Gobe being towed, which has very similar performance
to a 2/33 though it may be slightly lighter.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 20th 20, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

At 08:32 20 January 2020, Cookie wrote:
Yes, but you gotta add in the drag of the glider too. Out tow pilot

would
rather tow a G103 than a 2-33 !

Same with our Sedbergh on aerotow, which has been described by a towpilot
as "it feels like towing an open parachute with a heavy duty boat anchor
slung underneath"...