replacement instruments

Old May 21st 21, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

Default replacement instruments

I'm yanking my Lnav / GPSnav from my panel and am installing a CN2 on a RAM. I'd like to fill some of the holes with something that is moderately inexpensive yet will complement the CN2. Remaining a Sage CVA, airspeed, alt.
Any ideas?
Old May 21st 21, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

How about a nice ADF receiver and indicator that I'm pulling out of my
C-180?

Have you got an electric vario?Â* I would highly recommend a ClearNav XC
vario, if not.Â* My CNII is RAM mounted and I have a CNvXC with both
analog and digital indicators, a great combination.

Dan 5J

Old May 21st 21, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

http://craggyaero.com/Ultimate/Ventusb2021.jpg

Here are some ideas
Call Richard at Craggy Aero with your credit card in hand.
He can lighten your wallet, no problem.
Nick
Old May 21st 21, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/21/2021 6:43 AM, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
http://craggyaero.com/Ultimate/Ventusb2021.jpg

Here are some ideas
Call Richard at Craggy Aero with your credit card in hand.
He can lighten your wallet, no problem.
Nick

All good stuff, competitively priced by Richard, but I don't see anything there that
matches "moderately inexpensive" ;^)

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
Old May 21st 21, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/21/2021 8:22 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 5/21/2021 6:43 AM, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
http://craggyaero.com/Ultimate/Ventusb2021.jpg

Here are some ideas
Call Richard at Craggy Aero with your credit card in hand.
He can lighten your wallet, no problem.
Nick

All good stuff, competitively priced by Richard, but I don't see anything there that
matches "moderately inexpensive" ;^)

I was a bit hasty: it sports the new LXNav ADI, an ASI/altimeter/vario combo instrument
that is much cheaper than the individual units, releases two holes for other instruments,
and is user configurable for Vne changes in altitude, and more. But, Phoenix already has
those instruments and empty holes.

Old May 21st 21, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 6:57:58 AM UTC-6, Phoenix wrote:
I'm yanking my Lnav / GPSnav from my panel and am installing a CN2 on a RAM. I'd like to fill some of the holes with something that is moderately inexpensive yet will complement the CN2. Remaining a Sage CVA, airspeed, alt.
Any ideas?

A Flarm Display(Like Uavionic) or transponder (TT22)

or an Electric Backup Vario w/audio like Borgelt B400 with a battery backup. But this could probably replace you Sage. Could add the Averager option.

Brian
Old May 21st 21, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Do you already have an artificial horizon? If not, something like this:

https://lxavionics.co.uk/index.php?r...product_id=591

You may not be authorised to fly in IMC (as you know we can and do fly our gliders in IMC in the UK) but if you got into IMC inadvertently it would be pretty useful!
Old May 21st 21, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Or an LX Nav S10 or S100 - excellent vario with lots else, artificial horizon, battery backup, backup IGC logger
Old May 21st 21, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:22:17 PM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
Or an LX Nav S10 or S100 - excellent vario with lots else, artificial horizon, battery backup, backup IGC logger

Would like for the "hole filler" to be able to accommodate a gear warning micro switch as the ship already has one installed.
More ideas?
Old May 22nd 21, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:22:17 PM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
Or an LX Nav S10 or S100 - excellent vario with lots else, artificial horizon, battery backup, backup IGC logger

Would like for the "hole filler" to be able to accommodate a gear warning micro switch as the ship already has one installed.
More ideas?

I included an MGL BAT1 volt/ammeter in my 31Mi panel (http://www.mglavionics.co.za/Infinit...uals/BAT1.pdf). As I have a total glass panel (i.e. no pneumatic instruments) characterizing battery condition and state of charge was a high priority. I wasn't even sure what the total drain would be with my full panel operating. I am glad that I had this instrument added because using the voltmeter built into instruments like the LX9000 is problematic (it measures the voltage at the instrument, not the battery) and it does not measure current at all. I determined almost immediately that I would need an LFP battery for the avionics as my current drain was over 2 A and Pb batteries don't want to be discharged more than 50%. I was getting a Low Batt alert from the LX9000 after just 3 hr (your battery voltage drops immediately when drawing 2 A from it, so I was getting below 12 V after a few short hours). I have been using the Bioenno BLF-1220AS:
https://www.bioennopower.com/collect...abs-blf-1220as
It has a built-in Battery Management System (BMS) that protects against over-voltage charging and under-voltage drain. I also use a pair of these batteries as the donor batteries for the X2 charger mentioned below. I recharge the donor batteries with a pair of solar panels and a Bioenno MPPT solar charge controller for LFP batteries.

Occasionally, I would see the current drain jump up 0.6 A if I accidently bumped the fuel bag valve switch on, which was easy to do as it was right below the LX9000.

I also monitor the energy required to recharge the battery after the flight.. My battery charger, a Hitec AC/DC X2 (https://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-Bla...1644506&sr=8-2) provides this information providing that there isn't a fault during charging (typically low DC input voltage), in which case it just displays a fault message. I want to know how much energy was put into the battery prior to the fault. So I use an independent battery monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I double check that the battery is fully charged by comparing the analyzer's amp-hour reading to energy consumed during the flight (discharge rate times length of flight plus ground on time). I recently had a 7 hour flight and the energy to recharge the battery was 12 AHr (I flew with one instrument turned off). These figures agreed, so I an confident that I have a full charge in the battery.

This all adds up to quite an assemblage of equipment, but it ensures that I can properly charge my 31 batteries regardless of the availability of shore power:

2 50 W solar panels
1 Bioenno MPPT solar charge controller
2 Bioenno BLF-1220AS LFP donor batteries
1 Hitec X2 AC/DC Multicharger
1 GT Power RC 130A Power Analyzer Battery Consumption Performance Monitor
Associated connectors and cables

Can you get by without the BAT1? Probably so, but sooner or later something is going to go wrong and your battery may go dead at a most inopportune moment. I have to have 100% confidence in my battery condition. The engine battery can always be used in an emergency, but using it for an extended time can jeopardize your ability to restart the engine. Also, I have an available instrument hole should the need arise.

Tom

OA-X A-10 Replacement (A-29) (A-29).jpg 184 (1/1) J3[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 20th 19 03:19 PM
OA-X A-10 Replacement (A-29) (A-29).jpg 184 (1/1) J3[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 20th 19 03:01 PM
737 Replacement john smith Piloting 26 October 22nd 06 05:21 AM
F-15J Replacement Prowlus Military Aviation 8 April 28th 04 02:16 PM
EP-3 replacement? user Naval Aviation 23 December 6th 03 10:46 PM