DUI Conviction

Old August 1st 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ceaser28

Default DUI Conviction

Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

--
Ceaser

Old August 1st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 31, 7:54*pm, "ceaser28" u45176@uwe wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

How long ago was it?

-Roberrt
Old August 1st 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

No...you are NOT mentally fit. It doesn't sound like you are repentant
about this at all, have no morals and not willing to follow rules. Do us
all a favor and look for another profession.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old August 1st 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

ceaser28 writes:

I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

Yes, legally. If the conviction was before November 29, 1990, or it was the
only conviction, or it was not the only conviction but it was separated from
any previous conviction(s) by at least three years, you can still obtain a
license. See FAR 61.15.

The FAA is surprisingly lenient towards alcohol abusers, as opposed to its
attitude towards, say, asthmatics. I suppose there are more alcoholics than
asthmatics at the agency.

Whether an airline will hire you with a history of substance abuse is a
separate question for which I do not have an answer.

If you are hired, please name the airline that hired you here, so that I can
avoid it in the future.
Old August 1st 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

The FAA is surprisingly lenient towards alcohol abusers, as opposed to its
attitude towards, say, asthmatics.

Asthmatics generally don't have a problem with the FAA.

If you are hired, please name the airline that hired you here, so that I can
avoid it in the future.

Some people on the forum act like they've never gotten away with doing
something really stupid when they were young and immortal.

-c
Old August 1st 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

On Jul 31, 10:54 pm, "ceaser28" u45176@uwe wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

--
Ceaser

Yes, you still have a shot, though as has been said, airlines do frown
upon this kind of thing. 1 DUI ain't too bad, though. Am I correct in
assuming that you haven't started training for your PPL yet? Because
you will need to report the DUIs when you apply for your third class
medical. In any event, I would suggest you join the AOPA; they are
very helpful when it comes to these kinds of questions. You can get a
free 6 month trial membership by going to http://flighttraining.aopa.org/.

Good luck!
Old August 1st 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jul 31, 9:54*pm, "ceaser28" u45176@uwe wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

--
Ceaser

Sure you do! Everyone makes it out to be a deal killer when it isn't.
If you do continue to exercise poor judgement and get busted again you
can kiss it goodbye as is true with any job requiring good judgement
and self discipline.
Geez ....some of the posters make it out to be like you are a
stumbling falling down commode hugging drunk and you should be
pilloried for ever allowing evil alcohol to touch your lips.
When you go for your FAA flight physical you'll have to admit the DUI
or face serious consequences down the road. In and of itself, a DUI is
simply a flag of stupidity or poor judgement. Additional ones
indicates a serious mental problem as in addiction and can prevent you
from getting the required flight physical.
Good luck and don't be stupid again??!!
Ol S&B
Old August 1st 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

On Jul 31, 9:54 pm, "ceaser28" u45176@uwe wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

--
Ceaser

The DUI may not prohibit your career as a commercial pilot, but the
inability to string together a coherent English sentence may have a bearing
on it.

Jim

Old August 1st 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Aug 1, 9:33*am, nobody wrote:
MXSTOOPID writes:
I am 23 years old and I have been convicted of 1 DUI for smelling like
alcohol pratically in New Hampshire, do I still have a shot at being a
commercial pilot?

If the conviction was before November 29, 1990

When he was 5? Another example of your inferior thought process.

If you are hired, please name the airline that hired you here, so that I can
avoid it in the future.

What if he wasn't hired here?

Doesn't matter. You already avoid all airlines.

If only he'd avoid ambiguity...

Old August 1st 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:54 pm, "ceaser28" u45176@uwe wrote:

Geez ....some of the posters make it out to be like you are a
stumbling falling down commode hugging drunk and you should be
pilloried for ever allowing evil alcohol to touch your lips.

I was thinking that if drinking misbehavior as a young adult was a
limiting factor in aviation, a whole hell of a lot of Navy and Marine
Corps veterans would never be allowed near an airplane. Pappy
Boyington, for example.

Lots of people make mistakes when they're young and immortal. Assuming
it was just a simple offense and not some sort of crime, the test of
character is going to be whether the behavior was curbed or allowed to
continue.

-c