Comm noise

Old August 28th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

Default Comm noise

I flew yesterday with an owner who pointed out that he is getting a
type of crackling noise over both comm radios. The noise is most
prevalent when receiving from more distant and weaker transmitters
like other aircraft and not noticeabl when receiving from closer more
powerful transmitters i.e. the tower.

The owner has operated the aircraft with every other system turned off
including the alternators and has operated on individual magnetos with
no change. The most recent change to equipment was an audion panel
installation. The noise is not rythmic like ignition noise and does
not rise and fall with engine settings like some alternator noise. It
is not as intense as the white noise when checking squelch. It is a
type of random crackling like noise.

Any thoughts?

John Dupre'
Old August 28th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
darthpup

Solar activity...Sun spots...solar flares....
Signal to noise ratio...
typical for any radio receiver.
Old August 28th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Aircraft type? Does it on the ground? In air only, slowflight as well as
cruise speed?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old August 28th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
John wrote:

I flew yesterday with an owner who pointed out that he is getting a
type of crackling noise over both comm radios. The noise is most
prevalent when receiving from more distant and weaker transmitters
like other aircraft and not noticeabl when receiving from closer more
powerful transmitters i.e. the tower.

The owner has operated the aircraft with every other system turned off
including the alternators and has operated on individual magnetos with
no change. The most recent change to equipment was an audion panel
installation. The noise is not rythmic like ignition noise and does
not rise and fall with engine settings like some alternator noise. It
is not as intense as the white noise when checking squelch. It is a
type of random crackling like noise.

Any thoughts?

John Dupre'

I had a similar problem years ago, with one of those cheap whip
antennas. I switched to a high-quality antenna and got rid of the
problem.

It appears that moisture had somehow entered the material surrounding
the metal antenna and was causing arcing.

Old August 29th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

"John" wrote in message

I flew yesterday with an owner who pointed out that he is getting a
type of crackling noise over both comm radios. *The noise is most
prevalent when receiving from more distant and weaker transmitters
like other aircraft and not noticeabl when receiving from closer more
powerful transmitters i.e. the tower.

The owner has operated the aircraft with every other system turned off
including the alternators and has operated on individual magnetos with
no change. *The most recent change to equipment was an audion panel
installation. *The noise is not rythmic like ignition noise and does
not rise and fall with engine settings like some alternator noise. *It
is not as intense as the white noise when checking squelch. *It is a
type of random crackling like noise.

Any thoughts?

John Dupre'- Hide quoted text -

F33 Bonanza. Slow as well as cruise flight. I was only told about it
once we were airborne and didn't think to listen othewise.

John Dupre'
Old August 29th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

On Aug 28, 4:55*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
[...]

Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

I did notice that the upper antenna is loosing some of its coating and
the exposed areas look corroded. I would replace the antenna for that
reason alone but the owner wants some more confirmation than looks.
The lower antenna (bent whip) doesn't appear corroded although the
whip portion is slightly bent.

John Dupre'
Old August 29th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
John wrote:

On Aug 28, 4:55*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
[...]

That would do it on the upper antenna -- especially if it has flown
through rain. Is the antenna airfoil-shaped or one of theose
wrapped-metal, round ones? I had the latter and it eventually succombed
to moisture.

Old August 29th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

On Aug 29, 10:11*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:55*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
[...]

Wrapped metal round antenna with a tear shaped base.
Old August 29th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Orval, you are chasing your tail. If it does it on BOTH radios, the
probability of a dual identical fault is practically zero, especially if the
noise on #1 correlates with the noise on #2.

Sure, go ahead and shotgun the thing and then come back in here lamenting
that you spent $X amus on the problem and it is still there.

I've never seen a "wrapped metal" com antenna in my career. Can you point
me to a manufacturer and model so I can see for myself. Most of what looks
like "wrapped metal" is in fact a fiberglass soda straw with either braid or
foil inside the straw.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article
,
John wrote:

On Aug 28, 4:55 pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

Old August 29th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
John wrote:

On Aug 29, 10:11*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:55*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
[...]

Yup -- That's the kind that I replaced! Apparently, they last only so
long, then they get wet inside.

Comm 120 Tri-Pacer Owning 2 July 31st 07 04:59 PM
FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Piloting 26 January 13th 07 12:06 AM
FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Instrument Flight Rules 15 January 13th 07 12:06 AM
360 Comm Tri-Pacer Home Built 3 August 5th 06 04:09 PM
Prop noise vs. engine noise Morgans Piloting 8 December 24th 03 03:24 AM