Distance to Airport

Old November 3rd 03, 12:14 AM
Jay Honeck

I live downtown Chicago and don't have a car, and the plane is at KGYY, so
1. Walk 12 minutes to train
2. 50 minute train ride - flight planning time
3. Walk 20 minutes from train to hangar

Train runs only on even hours back on the weekend, so I have to be careful
with timing - sometimes don't have time to re-fuel or clean the bugs off
when I get back. But not having a car sure helps pay for the Arrow.

Not THAT is devotion, ladies and gentlemen.

A toast to you, sir!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 03, 12:59 AM
JimC

You certainly have a unique situation. Not many of us can get by without
the old auto (or two, or three). But you're sure right about avoiding auto
expenses being helpful when it comes to paying for the plane. With the way
auto's depreciate you are probably coming out ahead by putting the money
into the airplane instead.

I'm trying like crazy to avoid spending money on replacing one of my cars.
I like to drive them till the wheels fall off, and avoid car payments.

I like your approach. Thanks for sharing it with us.

JimC

ink.net...

Old November 3rd 03, 01:05 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

I live downtown Chicago and don't have a car, and the plane is at KGYY, so

1. Walk 12 minutes to train
2. 50 minute train ride - flight planning time
3. Walk 20 minutes from train to hangar

Train runs only on even hours back on the weekend, so I have to be careful
with timing - sometimes don't have time to re-fuel or clean the bugs off
when I get back. But not having a car sure helps pay for the Arrow.

Not THAT is devotion, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah, really. That would suck.

Old November 3rd 03, 02:02 AM
Drew Dalgleish

Home to the airport is 1.5miles and less than 5min. on country roads.
When I'm at the cottage my "airport" starts at the beach 50'from the
door.
Drew ( I love my amphibian ) Dalgleish

I have been thinking about the drive to the airport lately and how nice it
would be to live a little closer. I have a brother that is also a pilot and
he lives about 4 miles from his plane. Mine is more like 25 road miles away
and requires a half hour drive. That really makes a difference when you
are working on the plane and remember you left something at home that is
needed for the current job.

This got me curious about the situation that others have. So, how about it?
How far do you live from your plane and how long do you typically spend
driving to get there?

JimC

Old November 3rd 03, 02:40 AM
EDR

In article , JimC
wrote:

This got me curious about the situation that others have. So, how about it?
How far do you live from your plane and how long do you typically spend
driving to get there?

35 mile/45 minutes
Built the hangar for $3000, don't have to pay any rent.
Old November 3rd 03, 02:53 AM
JimC

A T-hanger at my home airport runs $250/month. Rent for one year would
equal what you shelled out to build one. I'd be the happy owner of a hangar
if I could buy or build one for $3,000.

Color me jealous,

JimC

Old November 3rd 03, 03:20 AM
Dashi

"JimC" wrote in message
A T-hanger at my home airport runs $250/month. Rent for one year would
equal what you shelled out to build one. I'd be the happy owner of a

hangar
if I could buy or build one for $3,000.

Color me jealous,

Still have to rent/lease the space the hangar is on?

dashii

JimC

Old November 3rd 03, 12:20 PM
Jay Masino

weekdays: about 2 1/2 hours one way.

weekends: about 5 miles/10 minutes.

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old November 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
Rosspilot

18 SM by car, takes me 24 minutes.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old November 3rd 03, 03:21 PM
Marco Leon

..4 miles from the airport. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Although I am about 2 1/2 minutes from the plane (inlcuding traffic lights),
I am also right smack-dab in the middle of the most emotionally-charged
anti-airport group in the area. We are off the approach end of the
ILS-equipped runway so noise is...uuggh...prevalent. Music to my ears but
for others...

Marco

http://www.usenet.com