Crack canopy at the sliding glass screw hole.

Old October 14th 13, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Murphy[_2_]

Default Crack canopy at the sliding glass screw hole.

Does anyone know someone that is good at fixing cracked canopies.Need help getting it fixed,don't want to do it my self.
Old October 14th 13, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 7:10:43 PM UTC-7, Tim Murphy wrote:
Does anyone know someone that is good at fixing cracked canopies.Need help getting it fixed,don't want to do it my self.

Tim,

Let's have a little more information: where are you and how far do you want to travel for the work to be done?
Old October 14th 13, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I live middle tennessee and will drive up to 300 miles.
Old October 14th 13, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Canopy maintenance question...

I have a chip (about 1/8" X 3/8") on the edge of the canopy where it meets the forward edge of the sliding window. The chip does not go all the way through the thickness of the canopy.

I'm thinking that a crack might eventually develop from this chip and that maybe I should sand the chip smooth or put a dab of "glue" on the chipped edge?? Both? Or should I just leave it alone?

Since the glider is new_to_me I do not know how long the chip has been there or how it happened. I don't know if the chip happened while I was owner of the glider or before.

Suggestions welcome. What glue to use, etc..?

Old October 14th 13, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would suggest using Acrifix 192.

http://www.acrylglasprofi.de/Produkt...IFIX%20192.pdf
Old October 14th 13, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

There are liquid acrylic "cements", actually solvents that melt the material. I have used it in the past, with a VERY small hypodermic needle to wick it into the crack. The solvent has very low viscosity and will easily dribble out of the tube. a very small amount will travel a good distance via capillary action, into the crack and soften the edges letting them fuse together. Keep something like a cloth under the point of the needle until you are really ready to start the wicking into the crack. this is to prevent the solvent from dribbling onto the canopy in places you don't want to repair.. NEVER try to wipe off the dribble (BAD smear), if it happens, let it dry completely, and polish it out with Micro-Mesh or something similar. You should orient the canopy so that you can work from above the surface, with the crack parallel the horizon, to prevent running. I usually work from the inside, that helps to contain the solvent in the concavity of the inner surface.

Having said all this, and having repaired several canopies, I always go very slowly and cautiously when even considering the attempt. I know about the "dribbles" and smears from experience and I sometimes think the cure is worse than the disease.

Mike
Old October 15th 13, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_3_]

There is only one cement for perspex that is two part:

Tensol 70 with a hardener.

Then a Micromesh kit from Wings and Wheels for polishing.

Tensol 70 works by dissolving the two sides of the crack, then
setting hard and basically forms new perspex.

Tensol 12 a similar adhesive will stick but has no strength. Other
acrylic adhesives will stick but again have no strength.
As SXC says below its should be taken with care and plenty of
caution. It is liquid and runs and as it sets form strings and they
stick to canopies. so care and masking.

The process is simple, time consuming and requires infinite
patience. Space does not permit a full description of how to do
it. But small cracks are well within the scope of an owner.

The first step is to drill the end of the crack with a fine drill. or
hot needle. To stop it spreading. A red hot needle will give some
form of seal.

Dave

=

Old October 15th 13, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Monday, October 14, 2013 12:09:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I would suggest using Acrifix 192.

http://www.acrylglasprofi.de/Produkt...IFIX%20192.pdf

Acrifix 2R 0190 is the two component version. The straight 190 relies on UV for the cure.
http://www.acrifix.com/product/acrif...s/default.aspx

It's listed on Wings and Wheels website
Old October 15th 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Murphy[_2_]

On Monday, October 14, 2013 4:58:56 PM UTC-5, SoaringXCellence wrote:
[...]

So where are you located and Are u still fixing them?
Old October 15th 13, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Murphy[_2_]

[...]

Thanks for all the inputs you Guys.Is there anyone that i can take it or send the canopy to that can repair it for me?

Wanted Mecaplex Sliding Canopy Window Terry Edmonds Soaring 3 August 5th 12 07:09 PM
[USA] FAA approved canopy crack repairs Jim Britton Soaring 5 October 18th 10 02:33 PM
Canopy crack :( lanebush Soaring 6 June 8th 10 06:44 AM
Worm Hole no Need for Black Hole Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 2 May 8th 07 11:04 AM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM