A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CAD software for panel design

Old October 23rd 13, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default CAD software for panel design

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:55:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2013 7:45:48 PM UTC-5, Stephen Michalik wrote:

So far I've downloaded the suggested 'draftsight x64' Dave Springford suggested.

It downloaded and installed smoothly. I got the panel CAD file to come up so now i'm trying out the software tools.

Anderson's idea was good too and my son who is in college is checking into the student software. Apparently students can download some for free use.

I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say who gave me the panel drawing as it came from the mfg and i'll have to ask. I would say that all I did was ask for it and they were gracious to let me have it. And along with the CAD file a few suggestions in excel format (unexpected).

Ian, I'll look at the open source suggestion later in the week.

Thanks all, I knew I'd get some help!!!

Good lift,

Stephen

S9

Draftsight is a very solid piece of software. It's published by Dassault as a entre to Solidworks. Draftsight is essentially equivalent to AutoCad Lt (2D drafting). We use it in production environment interchangeably with AutoCad LT and have no complaints. The only downside is that it monitors your usage and activity and reports back to the mothership (you have to agree to the monitoring to get it. there's no free lunch).

SH has all their panel shapes available on their website in PDF format. It's quite easy to import the image and scale it to the proper scale. You can make your own vector based file from the raster image by laying lines on top of the shape. Another easy trick for panels is to take pictures of all your instruments and import them, adjust them to the proper scale and do your layout from that. You can print out your panel full size and laminate it to a piece of corrugated cardboard to make sure you like the way it looks and functions in your cockpit before cutting an expensive piece of acrylic to check for internal clearance conflicts.

Good luck and have fun,
Craig