A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider Handling on Tow

Old November 5th 13, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

Default Glider Handling on Tow

A question for any aerodynamicists out the why does low aero tow speed adversely affect the handling of a glider so drastically?

Occasionally I’ve received an aero tow in my LS-8 (dry) at 55 kt (minimum recommended aero tow speed is 54 kt). The plane is heavy and unresponsive at that speed; it’s an extremely stressful experience! But once off tow the same plane handles like a dream at speeds down into the upper 30 kt range.

Before anyone asks, yes, I do immediately ask the tow pilot for 10 kt more speed - right now! I’d just like to understand what the root aerodynamic cause of the poor handling might be.

-John, Q3
Old November 5th 13, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

The Discus 2 exhibits the same behavior. It's a problem mostly seen in newer unflapped racing ships because of the angle of incidence of the wing. This results in a nose-up attitude at low speeds and on aerotow this results in a downward pull on the nose from the towrope. This down-pull has to be counteracted by up elevator. With ballast, I run out of up elevator around 60 knots or so, and I have had my glider sink into low tow a couple of times with a slow tug and have had to release a couple more. In free flight, the glider will stall at its placarded speed and handles fine. Tows below 60 knots have very poor aileron and elevator control.

There may be other things going on, but I suspect the relative angle of the towrope to the fuselage on tow is responsible. Flapped ships alter their pitch and hardly suffer from this effect.

Mike

Discus 2b
Old November 5th 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:
A question for any aerodynamicists out the why does low aero tow speed adversely affect the handling of a glider so drastically?

-John, Q3

Is it Winter already? This is one of those frequent threads (along with gelcoat maintenance, is the PW-5 the spawn of Satan, and the Downwind Turn) that come up every few years. As recently as two winters ago it was "Aerodynamics of Towing". If you search on some combination of "aerodynamics" and "tow" or "aerowtow" you'll see at least three primary generations of the thread. For instance:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/aerodynamics$20of$20towing/rec.aviation.soaring/C69yZmsaFe0/JqUTgv_G5HQJ
Old November 5th 13, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:58:54 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:

-John, Q3

Is it Winter already? This is one of those frequent threads (along with gelcoat maintenance, is the PW-5 the spawn of Satan, and the Downwind Turn) that come up every few years. As recently as two winters ago it was "Aerodynamics of Towing". If you search on some combination of "aerodynamics" and "tow" or "aerowtow" you'll see at least three primary generations of the thread. For instance:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/aerodynamics$20of$20towing/rec.aviation.soaring/C69yZmsaFe0/JqUTgv_G5HQJ

I don't think there is anything wrong with renewing a few classic discussions. There are always new pilots like myself who can benefit but wasn't around back in the day. I have flown Hang Gliders for nearly 40 years and managed glider blogs and know there are from time to time repeated topics.I don't see the harm in reintroducing them.
Old November 5th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:06:37 PM UTC-6, HGXC wrote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with renewing a few classic discussions.

Classic discussions. Hmm. Ginger, or Mary Ann?

;-)
Old November 5th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 1:35:15 PM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:06:37 PM UTC-6, HGXC wrote:

Classic discussions. Hmm. Ginger, or Mary Ann?

;-)

Mary Ann, Definitely.

Craig
Old November 5th 13, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

I did a search as Erik suggested. After reading a lot of posts, I found a very good explanation by Andreas Maurer, which I partially quote below. His explanation seems to account well for why the glider handling is so poor at slow tow plane speeds. But for me, several things are still unexplained:

1. Why does increasing the tow plane speed cause the poor glider handling to go away?

2. If the answer to (1) is that the down wash and wing tip vortices are now further below the glider, then why doesn't simply moving up higher above the wake of the slow tow plane remove the poor handling?

-John, Q3

===========

The following was written by Andreas Maurer, and posted on RAS 1/5/11:

The main factor for the seemingly odd flying characteristics behind
the tow plane is the downwash of the latter.

Let me explain:

The downwash has a significant angle (the air is deflected downwards
behind the tow plane's wing to up to four degrees!), but due to the
larger span of the glider it only affects the inner part of the
glider's wing.

Therefore, if the glider if lying laterally displaced, only one wing
is affected by the downwash of the tow plane - four degrees of AoA
difference between left and right wing need a lot of aileron to
correct.

Likewise, if the glider is flying straight behind the tow plane, the
downwash *decreases* the AoA of the affected inner part of the wing.
Getting the nose up by pulling back will restore the lift of the inner
part of the glider's wing, but now the outer parts of the wing have a
much higher AoA than they have in free flight.

Voila, meet the the conditions for poor aileron efficiency (high AoA!)
and tip stall.

The downwash is reduced by
- wingloading of the tow plane
- wing span of the tow plane

In other words: The more a tow plane looks like a motorglider (say, a
Dimona, or Katana Extreme), the less the flight characteristics of the
glider are affected.

Anyone who has ever been towed behind a motorglider or a microlight
will testify that problems like poor lateral control or running out
of elevator don't exist there, despite a far slower tow (55 kts
compared to a typical 70-75 kts behind a typical tow plane like
Reorqeur or Pawnee).

===========

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:58:54 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:

-John, Q3

Old November 5th 13, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:06:37 PM UTC-5, HGXC wrote:

The problem with searching for old discussions before posting a question is that newbies (like me) pick up a lot on RAS from questions that we never think to ask. So if people search for their question and don't repost the question, our ignorance remains unrequited.

And that ignorance is deep and wide. I did not even realize that the PW-5 was Spawn of Satan. Seriously, there seem to be an endless stream of "good to know" and even a few "really important to know" topics. You make us less dangerous to you by educating us.

I wish there were a book of "soaring lessons learned". Last Fall I learned the hard way that the "caster wheel" on a glider trailer tends to vibrate loose and drag on the pavement. Where am I suppose to have learned that? My pappy did not get his hands dirty very often and my education is deficient in many areas of practical knowledge.

Civilized online communities maintain FAQ lists. In lieu of that... keep the repeat questions coming.
Old November 5th 13, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 4:36:45 PM UTC-6, John Carlyle wrote:
I did a search as Erik suggested. After reading a lot of posts, I found a very good explanation by Andreas Maurer, which I partially quote below. His explanation seems to account well for why the glider handling is so poor at slow tow plane speeds. But for me, several things are still unexplained: 1. Why does increasing the tow plane speed cause the poor glider handling to go away? 2. If the answer to (1) is that the down wash and wing tip vortices are now further below the glider, then why doesn't simply moving up higher above the wake of the slow tow plane remove the poor handling? -John, Q3 =========== The following was written by Andreas Maurer, and posted on RAS 1/5/11: The main factor for the seemingly odd flying characteristics behind the tow plane is the downwash of the latter. Let me explain: The downwash has a significant angle (the air is deflected downwards behind the tow plane's wing to up to four degrees!), but due to the larger span of the glider it only affects the inner part of the glider's wing. Therefore, if the glider if lying laterally displaced, only one wing is affected by the downwash of the tow plane - four degrees of AoA difference between left and right wing need a lot of aileron to correct. Likewise, if the glider is flying straight behind the tow plane, the downwash *decreases* the AoA of the affected inner part of the wing. Getting the nose up by pulling back will restore the lift of the inner part of the glider's wing, but now the outer parts of the wing have a much higher AoA than they have in free flight. Voila, meet the the conditions for poor aileron efficiency (high AoA!) and tip stall. The downwash is reduced by - wingloading of the tow plane - wing span of the tow plane In other words: The more a tow plane looks like a motorglider (say, a Dimona, or Katana Extreme), the less the flight characteristics of the glider are affected. Anyone who has ever been towed behind a motorglider or a microlight will testify that problems like poor lateral control or running out of elevator don't exist there, despite a far slower tow (55 kts compared to a typical 70-75 kts behind a typical tow plane like Reorqeur or Pawnee).

Back to seriousness. Ever looked and the con-trials behind an airline in flight? It is very narrow right at the plane, and spreads out as the plane moves away. The wake and downwash field are moving down and spreading out. The con-trail spreads out as it is marking a limit of the wake. All the air above the actual wake and downwash field is also pulled down by the downwash field behind the wing. Some very large distance away, this downward pull of air will be negligible, but in the amount of altitude you can rise above the wake on tow without seriously upsetting your tug, the downwash will still be about the same. So, getting above the wake may solve some of the awful handling because you aren't being trounced around, but you will still be very nose high and feel very uneasy. Interesting videos show the wake actually gets narrower for some distance behind the wing, and then spreads back out. So, there probably is some effect of the wing of the sailplane extending beyond the wake of short wing towplanes.

Why does increasing the towplane speed help? Two things. First, many things aerodynamic happen with the square of the speed. 10% increase in speed gives a bit over 20% increase in stall margin. Second, when the towplanes wing doesn't have to work as hard to keep it in the air, the size and intensity of the wake and downwash field decrease. So does the downwash angle. So, by adding speed, the downwash angle is reduced, your required angle of attack is reduced, your margins and comfort levels all go up. And by the way, the wake will actually be higher where you are at the end of the same length tow rope, as it won't be angling down as much as it comes off the wing of the towplane.

As Andreas said, long wing towplanes don't create large angular downwash fields when flying at 55 knots. Pawnees and the like do.

Also worthy of note, I believe the downwash field increases in angle but decreases in velocity as a function of horizontal distance from the wing. So, the length of rope you chose to hang yourself with might also affect slow tow speed handling. Hint: I would try longer for better handling at the same tow speed. Gets you further horizontally and vertically from the wake..

Well, that was more than just two cents worth!

Steve
Old November 6th 13, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

After carefully reading all the above I can only come to one conclusion: Mary Ann