Micro-wind energy

Old February 3rd 14, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik[_2_]

Default Micro-wind energy

Saw this on the OZ report... seem applicable to gliders!

http://www.designfax.net/cms/dfx/ope...earticle&pn=03

I could see a pilot throw a line out with 50 of these on/inside a flying tube that recharges a battery in 10 or 15 minutes. Reel the line back in and store for the next recharge. Especially when flying wave eh?

S9
Old February 3rd 14, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Brayer

On Monday, February 3, 2014 8:42:26 AM UTC-5, Stephen Michalik wrote:
Saw this on the OZ report... seem applicable to gliders!

http://www.designfax.net/cms/dfx/ope...earticle&pn=03

I could see a pilot throw a line out with 50 of these on/inside a flying tube that recharges a battery in 10 or 15 minutes. Reel the line back in and store for the next recharge. Especially when flying wave eh?

S9

i wonder how much speed they could handle, i don't think i saw that when i scanned the article.
Old February 4th 14, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik Stephen Michalik napisał:

I could see a pilot throw a line out with 50 of these on/inside a
flying tube that recharges a battery in 10 or 15 minutes. Reel the
line back in and store for the next recharge. Especially when flying
wave eh?

You can't cheat the physics. This is generating electricity by
increasing drag. If required, it can be done much simpler with a
generator in vent tube.

--
WojtuÅ›

Old February 8th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 3, 2014 5:42:26 AM UTC-8, Stephen Michalik wrote:
Saw this on the OZ report... seem applicable to gliders!

http://www.designfax.net/cms/dfx/ope...earticle&pn=03

I could see a pilot throw a line out with 50 of these on/inside a flying tube that recharges a battery in 10 or 15 minutes. Reel the line back in and store for the next recharge. Especially when flying wave eh?

S9

I have a thought, I'm speaking from an airline pilot point of view and low-time glider pilot with only a smidgen amount of aerodynamic knowledge. But why not take the ADG (air deployed generator) that they use on some Jets, like the DC-10 etc and make something you can deploy with a handle (like for example a sustainer engine type thing but much smaller of course) which could be raised (or lowered ) into the slipstream to charge batteries when altitude or speed is not an issue - lots of excess altitude and airspeed, popping thermals but dead or soon to die batteries. Somebody could design something light-weight with an easily installed mechanism (on the belly or top aft of the canopy) that can be retracted with sealed doors.
Old February 8th 14, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Friday, February 7, 2014 4:42:47 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Here's an article on a similar concept
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...983673,d .cGU

Craig
7Q
Old February 8th 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Of course it could be done, but replacing old batteries and/or adding
another battery would be a lot simpler and a whole lot cheaper.

Old February 8th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

You mean like one of these?

http://store.peakbattery.com/12lfpba.html

and in a completely commercial announcement, I am taking orders for K2 batteries for delivery at the Seniors, Perry and Cordele if anyone is interested in purchasing some of these LiFePo4 batteries and/or chargers.

The K2B12V10EB is a 10 Ah equivalent with built-in battery management system.

Batteries are $150 each and the chargers are $30 each.

email me directly at dave "at" foxonecorp "dot" com with the number of batteries and chargers you wold like.

Dave Springford
www.foxonecorp.com
Old February 8th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 2/7/2014 8:09 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Of course it could be done, but replacing old batteries and/or adding
another battery would be a lot simpler and a whole lot cheaper.

And, wouldn't add drag, like the other methods described.

Tony "6N"