George Uveges 1970 Marfa Photo Set

Old March 18th 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default George Uveges 1970 Marfa Photo Set

HI all,

I just uploaded a number of George Uveges photos from the 1970 World Championships at Marfa TX. I have another set that I will be uploading in the next day or two. Thanks to George for allowing these to be publicly posted and to the NSM for loaning out the slides for digitization.

I now have access to equipment to digitize just about any sort of film or video media. I would like to gather as much content as possible. Please e-mail me if you have any materials you would like to contribute.

Website he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4957907...7642545270585/

Best regards,

Kevin
2C
Old March 18th 14, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Charlie

These are great - thanks for sharing.

Some of those trailers are pretty interesting...
Old March 18th 14, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Thanks, Kevin. Particularly like the shot of the Nimbus in flight where you can see a roll spoiler deployed from the right wing. Some wonderful People shots, as well.
Old March 18th 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/18/2014 10:09 AM, Kevin Christner wrote:
HI all,

I just uploaded a number of George Uveges photos from the 1970 World
Championships at Marfa TX. I have another set that I will be uploading in
the next day or two. Thanks to George for allowing these to be publicly
posted and to the NSM for loaning out the slides for digitization.

I now have access to equipment to digitize just about any sort of film or
video media. I would like to gather as much content as possible. Please
e-mail me if you have any materials you would like to contribute.

Website he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4957907...7642545270585/

Best regards,

Kevin 2C

Kevin,

Majorly cool!!! Thanks to you and George U. for co-acting to help preserve
this bit of soaring history.

Kinda-sorta related, if the stars align as the unindicted co-conspirators
hope, the soaring world may soon (this year?) have access to digitized color
slides taken during the Sierra Wave Projects by an inveterate, lifelong,
photo-hound. It was a Real Treat to attend Hal Klieforth's (totally unexpected
by me) presentation at this year's Reno Convention. Real, Manly, Kodachrome
slides projected from a carousel slide projector. As for the slides
themselves, in a word, "Wow!"

Any soaring pilot/aficionado who doesn't know who Hal Klieforth is is in the
happy position of still being able to find "more good soaring stuff" to read
about. Mr. Google is your starting friend!

Bob W.
Old March 18th 14, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Thanks for posting these! I had to go and get the contest report from the SSA.org website to see what actually happened. I haven't started reading it, but I see that it's a Joe Lincoln report (as was the case for Marfa 1969), and it has a Gren Siebels map. Should be a pretty good read!

http://www.ssa.org/Archive/ViewIssue...=1970&month=09

(Membership login required)

Bob K.
Old March 18th 14, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:09:39 AM UTC-7, Kevin Christner wrote:
HI all,

I just uploaded a number of George Uveges photos from the 1970 World Championships at Marfa TX. I have another set that I will be uploading in the next day or two. Thanks to George for allowing these to be publicly posted and to the NSM for loaning out the slides for digitization.

I now have access to equipment to digitize just about any sort of film or video media. I would like to gather as much content as possible. Please e-mail me if you have any materials you would like to contribute.

Website he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4957907...7642545270585/

Best regards,

Kevin

2C

Thanks Kevin, those are great!

I remember the Phoebus SX being in Ephrata in 71. Full left rudder revealed a small "E" on the hingeline. It was pretty funny to a 12 year old. Good memories.

Craig
Old March 19th 14, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Hi Bob,

Do you have Hal's contact details? I digitized all these from slides at 4000dpi which is good enough to blow up to 24x36.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old March 19th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 3/18/2014 6:07 PM, Kevin Christner wrote:
Hi Bob,

Do you have Hal's contact details? I digitized all these from slides at
4000dpi which is good enough to blow up to 24x36.

Thanks,

Kevin

Snip...

Hi Kevin,

Prolix response via e-mail. Holler if it doesn't (hasn't) arrive(d); it shows
in my "Sent" folder, but I received an ambiguous/discouraging
"possibly-failed" sort of response upon attempting to send it.

Bob W.
Old March 19th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

These pics are priceless.

A couple of years ago someone posted a video made from old 8mm film. A lovely lady was narrating the scenes from her husbands film. I believe it was mostly Southern California glider ports in the 50's and 60's. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I would love to see that film again.

Lane
Old March 19th 14, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:34:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
These pics are priceless. A couple of years ago someone posted a video made from old 8mm film. A lovely lady was narrating the scenes from her husbands film. I believe it was mostly Southern California glider ports in the 50's and 60's. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I would love to see that film again. Lane

Lane, that was June Wiberg. Check for postings form gliderbobo. 11 part series.

Steve