Soaring video goes viral - 250,000 views in three days

Old September 10th 13, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Soaring video goes viral - 250,000 views in three days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.
Old September 10th 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:52:26 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

Wow. I sense a string might be involved but impressive nonetheless.
Old September 10th 13, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:22:23 -0700, Sean F (F2) wrote:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:52:26 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

Wow. I sense a string might be involved but impressive nonetheless.

I think the circle was a bit irregular for a string to be involved, but
I'd guess it certainly didn't do that with the rather rough trim setup
shown in the video: plenty of up-trim, but what he did to get the tight
turn wasn't obvious. I'd think a few test gliders were in order before
trying it over the stove - either that or a set of oven gloves would be
needed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 10th 13, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gilbert Smith[_2_]

Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:22:23 -0700, Sean F (F2) wrote:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:52:26 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

Wow. I sense a string might be involved but impressive nonetheless.

I think the circle was a bit irregular for a string to be involved, but
I'd guess it certainly didn't do that with the rather rough trim setup
shown in the video: plenty of up-trim, but what he did to get the tight
turn wasn't obvious. I'd think a few test gliders were in order before
trying it over the stove - either that or a set of oven gloves would be
needed.

He has flaps right up / left down so the turn is no surprise, and he
says that was the 87th take because most times it doesn't centre
properly.
Old September 10th 13, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 16:58:50 UTC-4, Gilbert Smith wrote:
He has flaps right up / left down so the turn is no surprise, and he
says that was the 87th take because most times it doesn't centre
properly.

Um... wouldn't those flap settings cause a RIGHT turn? At the very least, a right bank... or have the laws of aerodynamics changed since I did my licence exam?

Then again, perhaps the plane is actually doing right turns, and it's only my fading vision or fatigued brain that thinks it turning left?
Old September 10th 13, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:52:26 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

PT Barnum was right.

Old September 11th 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:58:50 +0100, Gilbert Smith wrote:

He has flaps right up / left down so the turn is no surprise, and he
says that was the 87th take because most times it doesn't centre
properly.

I saw that the elevons were bent to 90 degrees and did at one point think
I saw one down. However I thought that the last shot of its rear end
showed them both up, so thanks for correction.

I'm not surprised he took several shots, though 87 seems like a lot.

On a related topic, back in the 80s (IIRC), a few of the American indoor
fliers discovered they could win Indoor Hand Launched Glider contests
with very light microfilm covered models that they launched over a patch
of sunlight on the floor of the venue. I heard about this but never saw
plans or photos of the models: does anybody know if there are any films
or videos of these things flying? They'd fly a lot like that paper glider
though much slower.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 11th 13, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:53:03 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

No, but search for walkalong gliders on Youtube. Varietal constructions, paper and foam, tumbling and stable.

Frank Whiteley
Old September 11th 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:52:26 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY

Youtube video of a paper sailplane thermally over an electric stove.

87 makes sense, I tried 5 times and almost set my glider on fire. I have a gas range.

Soaring Video? Waveguru Soaring 6 January 27th 13 12:38 PM
New soaring video! soaring23 Soaring 4 November 15th 12 06:49 PM
Soaring Video MikeCarris Soaring 0 September 29th 11 01:47 AM
Winter Solstice, soaring days getting longer Barny Soaring 2 December 25th 10 03:08 AM
Gliding in 8 days glider soaring FA JaneyP Soaring 0 November 10th 05 11:35 PM