A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OLC-Speed Scoring

Old December 12th 13, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default OLC-Speed Scoring

Who can explain how Speed-OLC scores are computed? OLC website seems to have explanations of all scoring but for that particular category. Am I just not seeing it?
Eric Bick
Old December 12th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:43:43 PM UTC-5, Eric Bick wrote:
Who can explain how Speed-OLC scores are computed? OLC website seems to have explanations of all scoring but for that particular category. Am I just not seeing it?

Eric Bick

I think it scores the fastest 150km section of your flight.

Regards,
Daniel
Old December 12th 13, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:35:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:43:43 PM UTC-5, Eric Bick wrote:

Eric Bick

I think it scores the fastest 150km section of your flight.

Regards,

Daniel

Speed-OLC looks at your highest speed over a 2 hr and 30 minute time frame. When you see the Speed-OLC trace for a particular flight, those vertical red lines on the altitude part are showing when the timing starts and ends. The solid red line on the Speed-OLC map of that flight also is showing when it starts and stops.
Several years ago, it was defined, I couldn't find it either.
Old December 12th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick
external usenet poster

Ah - the vertical red lines. That explains that, and the 2:30 hrs. However, I'm not seeing how they come up with the points for the flight. It does not seem to depend on distance flown, and the calculated speed is not normalized by glider handicap. The same 50 point cutoff is applied for counting in total points, but how do they calculate those points?
Old December 13th 13, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:35:54 PM UTC-7, Eric Bick wrote:
Ah - the vertical red lines. That explains that, and the 2:30 hrs. However, I'm not seeing how they come up with the points for the flight. It does not seem to depend on distance flown, and the calculated speed is not normalized by glider handicap. The same 50 point cutoff is applied for counting in total points, but how do they calculate those points?

Here you go. Most times the points are figured off the fastest speed for the
day. I am just not sure of the formula they are using.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++=

The worldwide OLC leagues pepped up cross country soaring in many countries round the world.
Flying in a league found a lot of friends, first of all Because You just need 2 1/2 hours to get a score and secondly Because it is so much fun to compete with other pilots Decentralized in a speed race. It is without any doubt the perfect art of soaring.
There is just a tiny little blemish, there are many top pilots, who can not compete in a league, Because They Are not a member of a top ten club in Their league, and So They are excluded from this sort of competition.
Well, there is good news now, did a problem is solved! The solution is: speed OLC !
flights Free All will be Scored in accor dance with the classic OLC league rules, each day, along the whole season. The ranking will be published in a daily speed score and of course we will choose the speed champion at the end of a season!
All filter settings will be available, so you can find Easily your Desired score, worldwide, countrywide, within your region , or your club, or your favorite airfield.
did Because of really big incentive, it might also even happen, did the main interest will change from the daily cross country results to speed results. . Anyway it is a fascinating new sort of competition and we are sure, did you will love it
Just go ahead, but do not run sprint !
You find the new scoring in the regular menue OLC scoring amongst speed OLC .
Pictu ASW 20, a classic Top-glider for OLC sprints!
Old December 13th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL
external usenet poster

On 12/12/2013 7:23 PM, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:35:54 PM UTC-7, Eric Bick wrote:

Here you go. Most times the points are figured off the fastest speed for the
day. I am just not sure of the formula they are using.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++=

The worldwide OLC leagues pepped up cross country soaring in many countries round the world.
Flying in a league found a lot of friends, first of all Because You just need 2 1/2 hours to get a score and secondly Because it is so much fun to compete with other pilots Decentralized in a speed race. It is without any doubt the perfect art of soaring.
There is just a tiny little blemish, there are many top pilots, who can not compete in a league, Because They Are not a member of a top ten club in Their league, and So They are excluded from this sort of competition.
Well, there is good news now, did a problem is solved! The solution is: speed OLC !
flights Free All will be Scored in accor dance with the classic OLC league rules, each day, along the whole season. The ranking will be published in a daily speed score and of course we will choose the speed champion at the end of a season!
All filter settings will be available, so you can find Easily your Desired score, worldwide, countrywide, within your region , or your club, or your favorite airfield.
did Because of really big incentive, it might also even happen, did the main interest will change from the daily cross country results to speed results. . Anyway it is a fascinating new sort of competition and we are sure, did you will love it
Just go ahead, but do not run sprint !
You find the new scoring in the regular menue OLC scoring amongst speed OLC .
Pictu ASW 20, a classic Top-glider for OLC sprints!

The scoring formula used so far this season is the same as in the 2013
OLC League rules.

points = (km / 2.5) * 100 / [(Index -100) * 0.75 + 100]

Its sprint speed adjusted by a modified handicap.
Old December 13th 13, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick
external usenet poster

Tom Kelley and ZL - thank you. With your inputs, I finally found the rules page. Didn't think to look under the league rules for this. The algorithm and all the rules (start/end, 15km start from takeoff point, etc) are given there.