Making a Canopy

Old January 21st 14, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy B

Default Making a Canopy

I have a glider, a canopy frame, and a new plastic canopy, and now my problem is making them all come together into a functioning unit. I've searched this site, and found a bit of info, but still really need some detailed instruction on fastening the plastic to the frame.
I know the frame has to be fitted to the glider first, and the plastic cut, fitted, and glued to the frame, while in place on the glider. I understand that screws aren't necessary, and may in fact cause trouble.
I think I need a fine tooth circular saw, and grinder, some way of clamping, a specific adhesive and info on how to use it. I can't do any of this, but will be working with an experienced aircraft engineer, who is willing to give it a try.

Any help from this community would be appreciated. Or pointers to some place or person who can assist.

Thanks,
Guy
Kestrel 19 CF-FGR
Old January 21st 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:21:41 PM UTC-5, Guy B wrote:
I have a glider, a canopy frame, and a new plastic canopy, and now my problem is making them all come together into a functioning unit. I've searched this site, and found a bit of info, but still really need some detailed instruction on fastening the plastic to the frame. I know the frame has to be fitted to the glider first, and the plastic cut, fitted, and glued to the frame, while in place on the glider. I understand that screws aren't necessary, and may in fact cause trouble. I think I need a fine tooth circular saw, and grinder, some way of clamping, a specific adhesive and info on how to use it. I can't do any of this, but will be working with an experienced aircraft engineer, who is willing to give it a try. Any help from this community would be appreciated. Or pointers to some place or person who can assist. Thanks, Guy Kestrel 19 CF-FGR

If you can get the direct assistance of someone that has done this properly before, you would be well advised to do so.
I trim canopies with a disc sander and would NEVER use a saw due to the liklihood of starting cracks.
I use screws with large washers on the perimeter to hold the canopy flush when gluing. No holes are drilled in the plastic.
Most all canopies on glass ships are bonded with epoxy like that used for repairs.
Good Luck
UH
Old January 21st 14, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

http://www.toddscanopies.com/

Todd's Canopies, Inc.
1445 NE 33rd St., Ft Lauderdale, FL 33334

Phone # : 954-579-0874

Although I havent had a canopy made yet, on the phone Todd sounded very professional and fair with prices. He makes canopies from scratch as well for custom designs. Maybe he would be willing to provide advice to get you started.

Hunter
Old January 21st 14, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's been 25+ years, but, while building a Quickie Q-2, I seem to recall
peeling back the protective coating on the plexi about an inch or so and
roughing it up with sand paper to promote adhesion. after applying flox (a
mix of epoxy and flocked cotton) around the perimeter of the frame, the
canopy was applied and held in place with duct tape run perpendicular to the
frame.

After setting up, I removed the duct tape, roughed up the outside of the
canopy about 1/2 - 2/3 inch up from the edge, filled with flox and glass
cloth. I'm sure there are better ways these days, but that's how I did it
in the 80s.

Old January 22nd 14, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

This is not a trivial exercise, a lot of work, a great deal of risk (Canopy = $$$) and a really suboptimal place to start learning composite work.

I have about 5 pages of really minor but very important details on this process that I consult ever time I mount a canopy and this is not my first rodeo.

Cut canopies with abrasive cutoff wheels and disc sanders, never with toothed devices.

Some installers use countersunk metal screws in addition to bonding (epoxy + cotton flox + fumed silica. Screws are mostly to hold alignment and position while the epoxy cures.

Rubber bands made from bike inner tubes are very handy for holding the plexi on the frame while it cures.

I cannot think of a more difficult, detail-critical installation than this.

How far are you from Dave Nelson in MI or M&H in NY?

Old January 22nd 14, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Some few general points I have to add:

* Don't even look at the transparency cross-eyed unless it and the frame are above 70 degrees F. Don't drill it, don't cut it, unless it is toasty warm.

* Consult the manufacturer about what to bond the canopy on with. In general, avoid using epoxies that are thinned for laminating. If it's thin enough to saturate cloth, chances are good that it might be thinned with something that will attack and craze the acrylic. I use Epon 828/Versamid 140, the same resin/hardener combo that I also use to join large fuselage and wing skins to each other.

Thanks, and good luck!

Bob K.
HP-24 Kit Sailplane Project
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951
Old January 22nd 14, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Crawford

Ibelieve that DG now bond their transparencies to the frame and have a
specific procedure and adhesive to achieve this. Could be worth contacting
them or their agent to get details.

Jim

At 20:21 21 January 2014, Guy B wrote:
I have a glider, a canopy frame, and a new plastic canopy, and now my
probl=
em is making them all come together into a functioning unit. I've
searched=
this site, and found a bit of info, but still really need some detailed
in=
struction on fastening the plastic to the frame.=20
I know the frame has to be fitted to the glider first, and the plastic
cut,=
fitted, and glued to the frame, while in place on the glider. I
understand=
that screws aren't necessary, and may in fact cause trouble.=20
I think I need a fine tooth circular saw, and grinder, some way of
clamping=
, a specific adhesive and info on how to use it. I can't do any of this,
bu=
t will be working with an experienced aircraft engineer, who is willing

=
give it a try.=20

Any help from this community would be appreciated. Or pointers to some
plac=
e or person who can assist.

Thanks,=20
Guy=20
Kestrel 19 CF-FGR

Old January 22nd 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_3_]

I have repaired maby canopies, but never been brave enough to
attempt a replacement of a bubble.

A friend has just replaced the bubble on her glass glider.

Canopies are moulded specifically for the frame they are to fit.

On glass gliders screw are normally used. but the canopy is
bonded to the frame using a high quality, one-component
polyurethane adhesive-sealant.

My friend used a product called CARBOND.

An internet search shows Carbond 940FC product details and data
sheets.

I would add that my friend had the help and advice of an
experienced inspector/engineer not only to ensure success but also
to ensure she had the signatures when the job was complete to
ensure the glider was airworthy.

Old January 22nd 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:21:41 PM UTC-6, Guy B wrote:
[...]

First off, I would seek professional assistance. This is a major undertaking, even for someone who has experience.

Here are some suggestions that hopefully will help steer you in the right direction.

1. You can start by protecting the canopy from scratches and scuffing by using Spraylat. This is a water based compound that can be painted or sprayed on the canopy that leaves a thin rubber coating. You can peel back the coating on your mating surfaces for bonding and peel off the rest upon completion of the project.

2. Turn the heat up and only work on the project when the canopy and environment are above 70 degrees, 80 works even better.

3. When you trim the canopy only use high speed cut off wheels or a drum sander. Using any type of a saw will cause chipping and stress fractures.

4. Fit the canopy frame to the glider for a good fit to start with. When you bond the canopy to the frame, do so when the frame and canopy are in place on the sailplane. If you bond it to the frame off of the sailplane you will end up with a twist and poor fit. I used 3M Panel Bond that is a two part adhesive. When it hardens it will still be somewhat pliable which is what you want for the environmental thermal expansion/contraction.

5. Don't drill any holes thru the canopy as this may introduce stress cracks at a future date. I used bicycle inner tubes stretched over the structure for bonding with localized wood blocks between the tubes and canopy around the frame for a tight fit.

6. My last suggestion is to cut the canopy 1/8" short around the perimeter and fill in the gap with micro. This suggestion if for impact resistance. The micro will take the hit instead of the Plexiglas. If the Plexiglas takes the hit it may propagate a stress crack.

Chris

Old January 22nd 14, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....Or Applebay (Fidel) in NM?

wrote in message
[...]

Making the best of MiG-21 adriann atenborrough Military Aviation 1 July 16th 10 08:11 AM
making a comeback Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Piloting 3 June 30th 10 02:11 AM
making money william[_2_] Home Built 2 July 19th 07 11:53 PM
On making it difficult for everyone else Frank Whiteley Soaring 35 May 8th 07 05:52 PM
Making your own canopy c hinds Home Built 6 November 22nd 04 09:10 AM