A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flight Computer Input Devices

Old February 25th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default Flight Computer Input Devices

I'm about to upgrade my Discus 2 panel with a more modern flight computer (5.6" class 640x480 display) and in reviewing the various options I am interested in user opinions about input devices.

My panel is just out of easy reach, so I'll need some input device - either stick-mount or cord-mount. Pros, cons and comments about the various approaches (button, trackball, etc.) would be useful.

Mike
Old February 25th 14, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Mike the Strike wrote, On 2/25/2014 8:10 AM:
I'm about to upgrade my Discus 2 panel with a more modern flight
computer (5.6" class 640x480 display) and in reviewing the various
options I am interested in user opinions about input devices.

My panel is just out of easy reach, so I'll need some input device -
either stick-mount or cord-mount. Pros, cons and comments about the
various approaches (button, trackball, etc.) would be useful.

Don't mount it on the panel; instead, use a Ram mount or similar on the
panel to position it closer to you. I did that with an iPaq and a
ClearNav - easy (no changes required to the panel) and effective. Others
mount the display off the panel on the canopy frame (or just below the
frame), allowing the display to be within easy reach, or on a bracket
affixed to the glare shield.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
Old February 25th 14, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:10:21 AM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:
I'm about to upgrade my Discus 2 panel with a more modern flight computer (5.6" class 640x480 display) and in reviewing the various options I am interested in user opinions about input devices.

My panel is just out of easy reach, so I'll need some input device - either stick-mount or cord-mount. Pros, cons and comments about the various approaches (button, trackball, etc.) would be useful.

Mike

Beware any device that requires precision analog hand / eye coordination. It will add up to an awful lot of head in the cockpit time. A push button interface ("digital", not analog), stick mounted, works well for most pilots (and works great on ClearNav).

Evan Ludeman (affiliated with ClearNav, but speaking for myself)

Old February 25th 14, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Evan Ludeman wrote, On 2/25/2014 10:18 AM:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:10:21 AM UTC-5, Mike the Strike
wrote:
I'm about to upgrade my Discus 2 panel with a more modern flight
computer (5.6" class 640x480 display) and in reviewing the various
options I am interested in user opinions about input devices.

My panel is just out of easy reach, so I'll need some input device
- either stick-mount or cord-mount. Pros, cons and comments about
the various approaches (button, trackball, etc.) would be useful.

Mike

Beware any device that requires precision analog hand / eye
coordination. It will add up to an awful lot of head in the cockpit
time. A push button interface ("digital", not analog), stick
mounted, works well for most pilots (and works great on ClearNav).

"It depends" a lot on what your flying is like. I've used SeeYou Mobile
on an iPaq (600+ hours), and currently a ClearNav (600+ hours), and
found the touch interface to be quicker, easier, more intuitive, and
required less eye contact with the display.

If I flew on turbulent ridges routinely, perhaps I'd feel differently,
but the huge number of touch interface flight computers in use indicates
the efficacy of the method.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
Old February 25th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:49:08 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I'd make the argument that their numbers reflect the easy availability and economy of these consumer devices myself... but the important thing is that you have devices that work well for your use and *don't* require a lot of head in the cockpit time.

best,

Evan Ludeman

Old February 25th 14, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

I'm with Evan on this (and yes, I'm also a ClearNav guy). I recently posted to a similar thread on our Appalachian Mountains Soaring Group, but to summarize:

- I nearly tossed a working IPAQ Aero 1520 out the apple core window into the Susquehanna River thanks to the frustrations of trying to poke at a touchscreen while moving along at 100kts in +/- 2G turbulence.
- All of the aircraft in high intensity environments use HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) controls with various buttons and switches.
- Trackballs are miserable in an unstable environment like glider; impossible to point and click on the target; even worse than pointing your finger.
- You will quickly learn the patterns in a device with large buttons arranged on a remote (stick mounted or tethered). I can zoom in, zoom out, and select without ever having to look down.

So, I'm another vote for a well laid out, button-based remote. IIRC, someone recently demoed a primitive COTS solution using XC Soar or LK 8000 (one of the Android crew).

Erik Mann
P3

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:03:53 PM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:

I'd make the argument that their numbers reflect the easy availability and economy of these consumer devices myself... but the important thing is that you have devices that work well for your use and *don't* require a lot of head in the cockpit time.

best,

Evan Ludeman

Old February 26th 14, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:05:37 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
I'm with Evan on this (and yes, I'm also a ClearNav guy). I recently posted to a similar thread on our Appalachian Mountains Soaring Group, but to summarize:

- I nearly tossed a working IPAQ Aero 1520 out the apple core window into the Susquehanna River thanks to the frustrations of trying to poke at a touchscreen while moving along at 100kts in +/- 2G turbulence.

- All of the aircraft in high intensity environments use HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) controls with various buttons and switches.

- Trackballs are miserable in an unstable environment like glider; impossible to point and click on the target; even worse than pointing your finger.

- You will quickly learn the patterns in a device with large buttons arranged on a remote (stick mounted or tethered). I can zoom in, zoom out, and select without ever having to look down.

So, I'm another vote for a well laid out, button-based remote. IIRC, someone recently demoed a primitive COTS solution using XC Soar or LK 8000 (one of the Android crew).

Erik Mann

P3

best,

Evan Ludeman

That was Paolo for LK8000 (Windows mobile based)

Craig
7Q
Old February 26th 14, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:10:21 AM UTC-8, Mike the Strike wrote:

Mike

Mike,

I have over 800 hours with a track ball mouse input. It work extremely well even in turbulence. The menu button on the Utlimate Le SeeYou are large and just about impossible to miss with a track ball mouse. The thumb trackball on the stick trigger works the best. And best of all you already know how to use it.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 26th 14, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:05:37 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:

Erik Mann

P3

best,

Evan Ludeman

Eric,

I am almost positive that you have never used a track ball in the cockpit. I have and find it works easily and is nothing like you describe, it is not miserable it is wonderful and easy to use.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 27th 14, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 18:18:03 UTC, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:10:21 AM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:

Mike

Beware any device that requires precision analog hand / eye coordination. It will add up to an awful lot of head in the cockpit time. A push button interface ("digital", not analog), stick mounted, works well for most pilots (and works great on ClearNav).

Evan Ludeman (affiliated with ClearNav, but speaking for myself)

Touch screens are best for land based activity, such as entering new tasks - no other system is as easy for entering text. I have used Winpilot and SYM for years on various devices and have not had problems hitting the right part of the screen in flight either, but I do not often fly at high speed in high turbulence.

Last season I was using an LX 9000. I have no difficulty reaching the controls on the panel. I find the use of rotary knobs for many tasks to be excellent, and much better than using sequential button pushes for the same tasks - so for me using the knobs on the instrument is much better than using buttons on the stick remotes (in the car I generally adjust my radio volume with the knob on the dash rather than the button on the steering wheel). BTW, I find the LX 9000 to be superb.