Handheld Radios - Icom A5 or A6?

Old February 2nd 05, 02:43 AM
Jonathan Sorger

Default Handheld Radios - Icom A5 or A6?

This new pilot was rather freaked out after losing one of my two radios
on my first 'real' long trip. Making me an even firmer believer in
redundancy, it is time to get a handheld backup.

I was all set on the Icom A5 Sport (alkaline battery) as this would be
used as a backup. Now I see the A6 Sport has arrived.

Can anyone familiar with these models recommend if the A6 is worth the
extra $40 or so? It's hard for me (an inexperienced handheld user) to
spot the differences online.

Thanks,

Old February 2nd 05, 06:19 AM
BTIZ

I'm not familiar with the A5 or A6.. I have an A-22, the NAV function is not
of much use with the rubber ducky antenna on my A-22... I've tried to use it
once.. so.. maybe save the $ and not get the Nav model... but.. it would be
good to be able to transmit on one when you have to listen to the VOR freq
to get FSS.. so maybe the NAV function would be worth it for that reason
alone.

I do not have the sport model, but an alkaline battery will last longer in
storage than the NiMH.
But I use my A-22 every weekend and it goes on the charger every Friday
night. It is my primary radio while providing glider instruction (training
glider not equipped with mounted radio or battery)and monitoring the
freq/traffic pattern from airfield ops (out on the airfield).. I do keep a
battery backup (alkaline) in the flight bag.. when I needed it, the 10 AA
batteries lasted about 5 hours of continuous use.

BT

Old February 2nd 05, 03:00 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm not familiar with the A5 or A6.. I have an A-22, the NAV function is
not of much use with the rubber ducky antenna on my A-22... I've tried to
use it once.. so.. maybe save the $ and not get the Nav model...

Agreed. I had the A21, with the NAV feature, and it was utterly useless.

I now own the A5 (I think? It's the ICOM without the NAV feature) and it's
great. Very small (especially by comparison to my old A21, which was twice
as big and over twice as heavy), lightweight, rugged, water-resistant, and
has great sound.

It uses either rechargeable batteries, or a separate alkaline battery pack
(which is what I use), or external power. It's a great little unit.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 2nd 05, 03:09 PM
Dave Butler

BTIZ wrote:
[...]

I'm also not familiar with either A5 or A6. I have an A-something, maybe A22. I
was able to get an aux battery pack so the rechargeables stay in the unit all
the time for occasional use, and the alkaline pack is right there in my flight
bag with fresh batteries in case I really need it. Picked up the aux pack at OSH.
Old February 2nd 05, 04:11 PM
Jonathan Sorger

Thanks for all of your replies - I have heard that the NAV function is
fairly useless.

I hope to never be in a situation where my sectional reading, dead
reckoning, situational awareness AND gps go out on me!

Old February 2nd 05, 04:15 PM
jsmith

Not if you connect it to a NAV antenna.
Horizontal polarization vice vertical polarization for a COM antenna.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:50 PM
doc

I'd go with the A6.

I have an A5 Sport and am satisfied with it, but for a few bucks
more, why not get the latest whiz-bang features? Nothing is
ever cheap about aviation.

One thing others have not mentioned about the A5: it was designed
for use with a battery pack that outputs a higher voltage than is
obtained by using six AA's in the Sport pack. This means that even
when using fully-charged NiMH cells or brand-new alkalines, the low
battery indicator is always on. Does this cut down on the range?
I don't know. I have contacted Icom about this and they confirm that
there's nothing unusual about my radio. That's just how it is when
using AA cells, standard alkaline or recharable.

As others have noted, the nav features are useless when all you have
is a rubber ducky antenna. However, not all handhelds are equal. I
was amazed to find that, though a Yaesu could not detect an VOR until
I could hit it by throwing the silly little thing at it, a Sporty's
worked almost as well as the panel-mount. I did have an Icom along
for this experiment, but it was a COM-only so it could not play in
the NAV section. Tests were done with rubber duckies on the radio
and with one taped horizontally along the top of the windshield.

For COM performance, my tests were not sensitive enough to find any
difference.

And to the rental company, I'm really sorry about the duct tape residiue
on the window. I did try to get it off, but someone was waiting for
the airplane.
Old February 2nd 05, 08:18 PM
Karl-Heinz Kuenzel

I have a A 23 Sport here and I don't have the battery indicator on.
But only after changing from 1 Euro a pack alkalines to high quality
ones. A pack for 6.99 Euro.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:59 PM
CryptWolf

"Jonathan Sorger" wrote in message
This new pilot was rather freaked out after losing one of my two radios
on my first 'real' long trip. Making me an even firmer believer in
redundancy, it is time to get a handheld backup.

I was all set on the Icom A5 Sport (alkaline battery) as this would be
used as a backup. Now I see the A6 Sport has arrived.

I have an Icom A23. The one time I needed it, the rechargeable
batteries were dead. Get an extra alkaline battery pack even for the
sport models. All of the radios draw some current even when off and
eventually you'll be replacing batteries or recharging them. The alkaline
battery packs have to be removed and then the batteries can be changed
before re-assembling everything. I wouldn't want to be changing
individual alkalines solo in IMC. Much easier to swap a pack.

Feature for feature, all the radios from several manufacturers have
virtually the same specifications. Vertex Standard models had a few
specifications that were very slightly better than other brands.
I did a lot of research before I bought the Icom A23. The only reason
I didn't buy the Vertex Standard was the NiCd battery vs. the NiMH
in the Icom. The NiMH battery should last longer than NiCd because
of the higher power output and generally has better characteristics.

The Icom A5 is virtually identical to the A23 except for the nav
and duplex functions. The new A6 appears to be a slightly larger
version of the A5. If you need or want the duplex function go
with the A23. Size is about the only difference between the A5
and the A6.

If the headset adapter doesn't come with it be sure and get one.
My former instructor kept his headset adapter plugged into his radio
and told me about losing radios (complete electrical failure) on more
than one occasion though for different reasons. He had an older A21
and it worked fine on alkalines though the NiCd batteries died.
Icom is a good company and

I joked with my DE for my instrument checkride. I must be really
having a bad day if the electrical system in the airplane and my
handheld died. It has already earned it's keep in my bag though.
I keep spare batteries for everything in my bag so even dead
batteries won't stop me. I'm really having a bad day if everything fails.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
Denny

I keep a pack of alkaline batteries in the airplane.. A 30 pak I get
from Home Depot... I have switched from NiCd, NiMh, Li, etc.,
batteries to alkalines for back up in the 195 and 295 in the plane...
Also for the Lightspeeds, the prop tach meter, the LED flash lights,
etc... Also in the antenna analyzers, the frequency counter, the Nikon
F5, and on, and on, in my shop... After I idly did a cost analysis one
night I realized that by the time you purchase batteries and chargers,
and put up with the rapid self discharge, and the lower voltage, and
buying new rechargeable batteries on nearly an annual basis, you are
money ahead to simply use alkalines...

Denny