buzzing a Moscow highway

Old January 18th 05, 06:29 PM
HECTOP

In rec.aviation.piloting Corky Scott wrote:
last summer I heard the following: "They may be ugly, but they're sure
slow". :-D

They also tend to perform the "freefalling sack of nails" maneuver when the fan quits.

--
HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
Old January 19th 05, 01:33 AM
Morgans

"HECTOP" wrote

They also tend to perform the "freefalling sack of nails" maneuver when

the fan quits.

--
HECTOP

I don't get it. Why would a STOL, slow airplane fall like a sack of nails?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 19th 05, 03:51 AM
Proton

On 18 Jan 2005 09:15:21 -0800, "
wrote:

Proton wrote:

Damn, that's low and close to the trees....

There's plenty of tree clearance. Compared to some backcountry
strips I fly into, it looks down right generous :-)
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

hehe.

I started flying at an airport with about that much tree clearance.
The air does strange things when it pours over the tops of those
things.

=)

Old January 19th 05, 04:55 AM
Bob Clough

Presumably one of the domestic "spin-offs" of Aeroflot?

Bob

"HECTOP" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.piloting wrote:
Geez! That's high cruise speed (max range cruise is only 142kph).
Don't think I've ever seen anyone in that much of a hurry, in a Wilga

Will it surprise you, if I'll tell you that both pilots are airline
captains?

--
HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA

Old January 19th 05, 05:08 AM
HECTOP

In rec.aviation.piloting Morgans wrote:
I don't get it. Why would a STOL, slow airplane fall like a sack of nails?

It is STOL simply because it has a 260HP radial pulling the whole go-cart, but everyone I know who flies this thing, say it's a deadweight without engine.

--
HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
Old January 19th 05, 05:10 AM
HECTOP

In rec.aviation.piloting Bob Clough wrote:
Presumably one of the domestic "spin-offs" of Aeroflot?

There's no need for unjustified bias. Many domestic spin-offs have exceeded Aeroflot both in safety and service,
and Aeroflot itself is very much Western style company nowadays flying all the latest Boeing and Airbus aircraft.

--
HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
Old January 19th 05, 05:37 AM
Bob Clough

C'mon, it's justified. Perhaps a bit dated, but justified. Boeing-Airbus,
Tupolev-Antonov -- Soviet safety issues were rarely hardware related, it was
usually maintenance and over-loading, ie software/wetware. I'm wondering
how much "new" companies have been able to change that.

I do agree that international aeroflot, in my experience, has distinguished
itself from its domestic colleagues.

Who would you rate among the safest domestic spin-offs? I'm personally
interested cuz I'm heading back for extensive travel within the country come
April...

Bob

Old January 19th 05, 08:22 AM

True, CNN won't lie.
But we lie to CNN a lot ;-)

-Kees

Old January 19th 05, 11:28 AM
HECTOP

In rec.aviation.piloting Bob Clough wrote:
interested cuz I'm heading back for extensive travel within the country come
April...

Transaero has the best record both service and safety wise, they fly exclusively all
Western aircraft. Siberia ("Sibir") has probably the worst, though often through
no fault of their own, their planes get shot down or blown up by terrorists.
Other than Aeroflot and Transaero, results may vary, cuz you may get an old beat up
aircraft, but excellent service, and vice versa. Safety wise there hasn't been a
major Russian airline crash in years due to aircraft or crew fault, so no worries
there.

--
HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA