IFR through Florida - airways?

Old January 6th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default IFR through Florida - airways?

Jim wrote:

I flew down to Fort Lauderdale from WI in September. I weaved through most
of the SUA by useing Cross City as my jumping off (into?) point. It worked
very well. I realize KCTY is on the west side of FL, but it may be an
option for you.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...231Z/KCTY/KFXE

Yep, that is what I am thinking as well. Your flight is similar to what I
am planning now:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3...7115437dc8.jpg

--
Peter
Old January 6th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Jay Beckman wrote:

What are the floors and/or ceilings for said airspaces?

Many of the Florida SUAs go all the way up to 17,999, so going over them is
not really an option for me either. It looks as if I will cross over the
center of the state and then weave towards the western-central portion, as
you can see in the other link I posted.

We've got our fair share of red/blue boxes out here in AZ but most don't
come low enough to be a hassle (I do *not* have the ability to fly above
12k...)

I remember those! Two years ago I flew to Palm Springs and recall having
to weave my way around all that special airspace out there.

--
Peter
Old January 6th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john smith

Peter R. wrote:

Jay Beckman wrote:

What are the floors and/or ceilings for said airspaces?

Many of the Florida SUAs go all the way up to 17,999, so going over them is
not really an option for me either. It looks as if I will cross over the
center of the state and then weave towards the western-central portion, as
you can see in the other link I posted.

If you fly on the weekends, most of the military SUA is not active.
If you fly M-F, expect to be vectored/routed around the military SUA.

When I flew to KPBI from Central Ohio last April, I flew from Albany GA
to Lakeland to West Palm, unrestricted at 7,000. That was on a Saturday.
When I departed, I had filed for the same routing. I was given an
amended clearance which had me fly directly west to Naples before
turning north. The military airspace was active. This was on a Thursday
afternoon.

Old January 6th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

If you fly on the weekends, most of the military SUA is not active.
If you fly M-F, expect to be vectored/routed around the military SUA.

My plan at this point, weather and maintenance willing, is to fly down on
Thursday afternoon/evening, then return home on Saturday afternoon.

--
Peter
Old January 7th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Burns

Depending on your fuel range, you should check 100LL.com for best fuel
prices. It saved us a ton of $. Cross City offers $0.25 per gallon off
every Saturday morning 7am-1pm.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCTY/DIXIE_AV_SVCS

Jim

Old January 8th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Jim Burns wrote:

Depending on your fuel range, you should check 100LL.com for best fuel
prices. It saved us a ton of $. Cross City offers $0.25 per gallon off
every Saturday morning 7am-1pm.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCTY/DIXIE_AV_SVCS

Thanks for that. I normally make it a point to check Airnav.com. I had
never heard of 100ll.com until you mentioned it. Do you find the
information there more timely and accurate than Airnav?

--
Peter
Old January 8th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim[_11_]

I use both Airnav and 100LL.com. In the past I've found that 100LL is
usually more timely.
Jim

Old January 9th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Maule Driver

I fly Raleigh to south FL several times a year. My experience is to
always file and open an IFR plan independent of the weather. I'm direct
except for FL where most of the time you will be routed on the airways.
I choose a efficient altitude based on wind and TAS and whatever. Then
I enjoy the fact that I will be routed around busy SUA and separated
from much of the traffic.

Florida is usually convective and FL ATC, especially JAX center, will
give you the best avoidance service you've ever had. My 396 has reduced
my dependence and increased my capability, but they are still the best.

Flying IFR, especially in south FL, eliminates much of the airspace
avoidance work. But there's lots of vfr traffic even if you are busting
clouds so keep you head up. And if you are not familiar with the area,
be careful about IDing the airports. There are lots of them, they all
look alike to us northerners and I'm sure I'm the only person that has a
problem picking the right one at times.

Wish I was coming too.

Peter R. wrote:
Due to a business meeting, I will be flying from NY to Miami, Florida in a
few weeks.

In looking over the en route charts, I see a lot of MOAs, restricted, and
prohibited airspaces throughout Florida. Also, my destination is
Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB), which is just southwest of Miami International and
below their Class B.

It appears that the most likely option is to plan and file airways/VORs
through central and western Florida, with the idea of arriving into TMB
from the west and ask for direct as I am flying, rather than filing direct.

Could anyone with Florida IFR experience share your thoughts on IFR flight
through Florida? Thanks.

Old January 10th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Maule Driver wrote:

Flying IFR, especially in south FL, eliminates much of the airspace
avoidance work. But there's lots of vfr traffic even if you are busting
clouds so keep you head up. And if you are not familiar with the area,
be careful about IDing the airports. There are lots of them, they all
look alike to us northerners and I'm sure I'm the only person that has a
problem picking the right one at times.

Thanks for providing your hands-on experience. My plan is to definitely go
IFR and perhaps even fly an approach into Tiamiami, to guarantee proper
alignment with the correct airport, given that I will be arriving at night.

Wish I was coming too.

I am landing in Hickory, NC, to have an early dinner with my mother and to
refuel Thursday afternoon. If you are there you can hop a ride down with
me that evening.

--
Peter
Old January 16th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
L. R. Du Broff

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

john smith wrote:

If you are planning on flying down the east coast, from the GA-FL border
to Vero Beach, expect a reroute around JAX airspace to the west (I call
it the Central Florida Tour) unless you can fly above 12,000.

I have lived in the Orlando area for 20 years, and done lots of IFR up
and down the east coast. Never been re-routed west around JAX. Be
aware of the submarine pen at St. Marys, GA -- was TFR, I think it's now
Prohibited.

Another thing, re altitudes. IFR up and down the east coast will
usually be assigned even thousands southbound and odd thousands
northbound. When on the airways, this frequently goes against the
odd-east / even-west that is standard.

OP was from NY area. If you can handle IFR there (I got initial
training at Colts Neck, many years ago), Florida won't have any nasty
surprises for you. St. Augustine has a decent restaurant at the FBO;
fuel prices at the city-operated self-serve (base of the tower) are
frequently much better than at the FBO. Another well-kept secret for
fuel on the north-south route is Baxley GA (BHC). Good-sized runway,
IFR approaches, reasonable fuel prices, nice people at the FBO. Van
available at no charge for food run into town. Call ahead and they will
tell you where they leave van keys if you're arriving when FBO not
attended. Keypad to let you into FBO during unattended times, just key
in the UNICOM frequency to unlock the door.