P-39s, Zeros & A-24s

Old July 22nd 03, 03:10 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Cub Driver wrote:
Sometimes you remind me of the airport cat (whose name is Crash, by
the way). Crash is a grouchy old orange male who looks out at us with
slitted eyes. Sometimes he lets us pat him, more often not.

One day a stranger came in and planted his hands on the counter to
talk to George, the manager. Crash was sitting on the counter. He
began to lick the stranger's hand. Three, four, five licks. Then
WHOMP! He bit it.

Well, don't you wash your hands before YOU eat?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old July 22nd 03, 03:34 PM

Cub Driver wrote:

That certainly makes a lot of sense...it would seem that there's
lots less problems to contend with down low.

You're joking, right? (Irony is not a safe weapon on the internet. We
can't hear the tone of your voice!)

If it's safer down below, why did the B-17s and B-24s (not to mention
the B-29s) go to all that effort to fly at 25,000 and 30,000 feet?

C'mon Dan, Art sed it's safer, you really think that any regular
poster on here would dare to naysay him?...haven't tried it have
you?...
--

-Gord.
Old July 22nd 03, 04:29 PM
Chris Mark

Tony.Williams@q

Some 90mm would have settled his hash.
I doubt that - the heavy AA guns were only really effective against
aircraft flying a steady and predictable course, like bombers. A
fighter doing aerobatics would reduce the gunners to a nervous
breakdown

Do you really think he would have continued his antics once flak began bursting
in the general vicinity? Sakai may have been arrogant, but I doubt he was
stupid. All flak is addressed "To Whom It May Concern." It doesn't have to
have your name on it to give you a really bad day.

Chris Mark
Old July 23rd 03, 10:47 AM
Cub Driver

Do you really think he would have continued his antics once flak began bursting
in the general vicinity? Sakai may have been arrogant, but I doubt he was
stupid. All flak is addressed "To Whom It May Concern." It doesn't have to
have your name on it to give you a really bad day.

These stories always strike me as urban legend, or the WWII
equivalent. Every theater of operations has them. For the AVG Flying
Tigers, it was the crew chief at Mingaladon airport being strafed by
low-flying "Zeros" who threw a wrench at one and knocked it down.
Everyone seemed to believe this story, but it always seemed
fantastical to me.

This is not to say that tales of mad bravado can't ever be true. There
was a well-documented case in China where three Japanese pilots landed
on a Chinese base, destroyed some aircraft that hadn't come up to
challenge them, and took off again. That was in 1938 or thereabouts. I
suspect they got more cautious by 1942.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 23rd 03, 11:38 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Cub Driver
writes
Sometimes you remind me of the airport cat (whose name is Crash, by
the way). Crash is a grouchy old orange male who looks out at us with
slitted eyes. Sometimes he lets us pat him, more often not.

One day a stranger came in and planted his hands on the counter to
talk to George, the manager. Crash was sitting on the counter. He
began to lick the stranger's hand. Three, four, five licks. Then
WHOMP! He bit it.

That's not affection.

"First you baste the meat... then you eat it".

(Our cat does the exact same thing. Eagerly wants to be stroked and
loved, affectionately catches a hand and grooms it... then furiously
bites and claws it, both in that kitten-play mode that only breaks skin
by accident. She's nine years old but still likes her games)

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Paul J. Adam