will the US military power dominate the world

Old October 26th 03, 04:39 PM
Alan Minyard

On 26 Oct 2003 12:59:46 GMT, Seraphim wrote:

(Peter Stickney) wrote in
:

In article ,
Seraphim writes:
Stephen Harding wrote in news:3F994B53.FACA123
@cs.umass.edu:

Ralph Savelsberg wrote:

Great! However, the big question that very few people seem to be
able to answer (myself included) is where the energy to make the H2
should come from?

Natural gas. Mix methane (CH4) and very hot steam (H20) to produce
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Hydrogen (H2). This is a very well known
process, and is (was?) commonly used in the industrial production of
chemicals.

Erm... The Methane comes from where, exactly?

I would assume that it comes from the same place it has always come from.

Right now there are 2
sources - underground pockets, and Bovine Ddigestive tracts. The
underground sources have teh advantage of being commercially viable,
but incurs the same environmental damage as drilling for petroleum,
adn it's much riskier to store and transport. I'd rather be next to a
nuclear power plant than an LNG storage facility. Since the idea of
cracking Methane to get Hydrogen is to reduce the amount og Co2 being
generated, this method also has no advantages. The C02 is still being
created, It's just occuring at your Hydrogen Generating Plant rather
than in the car engine, or space heater, or whatever.

Well, first half the hydrogen is comming from water, so you've converted
1 mol CH4 into 4 moles H2 and 1 mol CO2. Now, its been a while sence I
had chemistry, but IIRC Delta_H of formation of water is around -240
kJ/mol (240 * 4 = -960), and Delta_H of combustion of methane is -890
kJ/mol. So if you have a good source of superheated steam (eg a nuclear
power plant) its a pretty good deal.

Nuclear plants do not produce super-heated steam.

Al Minyard
Old October 26th 03, 05:37 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
On 26 Oct 2003 12:59:46 GMT, Seraphim wrote:

Nuclear plants do not produce super-heated steam.

True for BWR's and PWR's , not true for gas cooled reactors.

Keith

Old October 30th 03, 02:31 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Franck" writes:
CATIA was Boeing's baby

Wich surpise, Catia is US Sotfware like Michelin tires !!!

Careful about that one - Michelins have been made in teh U.S. since
sometime in the late 1910s/early 1920s. The factory is/was near
Boston, Massachusetts.

Don't really, Catia is developed in Dassault Aviation in 1983. After
creation of Dassault Systems and asscociation with IBM to market this new
software all over the world.

That would explain why they'd go into a sniveling snit when they'd
announce a data format change that boke the interchage standards, but
wouldn't do anything about it. I guess they didn't want to show their
lack of influence over the developers.

Boeing is one of our customer but not the first one, just one customer

More than "just one customer", I'd say. The timeframe put them in the
position of being one of the first really large installations. (The
period I was involved with this was from 'bout 1986-89).

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster