General Patton on Lieutenant Kerry

Old January 31st 04, 03:08 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:52:27 -0700, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

Subject: General Patton on Lieutenant Kerry
From: "S. Sampson"

Date: 1/30/04 1:53 PM Pacific Standard Time

When pressed about what happened to his medals, Kerry now says
the medals he threw away were not his and that his are displayed in his
Senate office.

Retired General George S. Patton III would later angrily charge that
Kerry's actions had "given aid and comfort to the enemy."

Supremely arrogant and demonstrably contemptuous of the voting public,
Kerry nevertheless regularly touts his military experience during his
presidential run. But he forfeited the right to do that 30 years ago.

And just what were your war exploits? Anything? What he did in combat no one
denies. And he is a hero and a fine soldier and leader of men as a result. And
where do you stand in terms of military acheivement against Lt. Kerry?.

Arthur Kramer

Well, Art, I think my military achievements qualify me to speak, and I
agree fully with General Patton's estimation of the honor and
integrity of Senator Kerry. The simple hypocrisy of the medal throwing
incident, using someone else's medals, followed by the prominent
display of the awards in his office for political expediency reduces
the man in my mind.

And, I might add that several hundred military aviators from the
period that I regularly correspond with in an email listserv, AF,
Navy, Marine and Army, are united in their disdain for the Senator.
The former POWs in the group in particular are bothered by the acts of
Senator Kerry.

As for the possession of the awards in the first place, we might wish
to recall that LBJ had a Silver Star as well, although his was won for
being a passenger on a mission in the combat zone, not necessarily a
combat mission. And Lt. Kerry's three Purple Hearts, it has been
reported in a number of sources recently resulted in no missed duty
days--it's a puzzlement.

Frank Burns' egg "shell fragments" come to mind ;-)
Old January 31st 04, 03:13 AM
cypher745

Brooks,

Here is a link to my original source:

http://members.aol.com/dwidad/pattonped.html

And another one from the Patton society

http://www.pattonhq.com/pattontree.html

They both show the General patton of WWII fame as being the III.

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"cypher745" wrote in message
. com...
Ancestry of George S. Patton

snip incorrect garbage

Brooks, please note the the use of III.

Have a good day.

Check your sources, pal. Your batting average today ain't too hot, is it?

Brooks

Old January 31st 04, 03:32 AM
t_mark

Eleanor Clift has done a pre-emptive strike on the Republicans:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4114162/

It's not a very good one, and ignores the wider "problems" with Kerry as
this thread points out. It's not simply VVAW.

Old January 31st 04, 03:35 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"cypher745" wrote:
"S. Sampson" wrote in message
In May 1972, the Boston Phoenix reported that Kerry had defiantly
given his medals back to the U.S. government during one of his many
protests. New York Times columnist Bill Keller wrote in September
2002 that the senator invited him to view 40 minutes of films Kerry
made depicting his war exploits. Keller wrote that anti-war doves
would still support the man they remembered for "throwing his war
ribbons onto the steps of the Capitol."

When pressed about what happened to his medals, Kerry now says
the medals he threw away were not his and that his are displayed in his
Senate office.

Retired General George S. Patton III would later angrily charge that
Kerry's actions had "given aid and comfort to the enemy."

Supremely arrogant and demonstrably contemptuous of the voting public,
Kerry nevertheless regularly touts his military experience during his
presidential run. But he forfeited the right to do that 30 years ago.

Come to think of it, if he continues to posture as a war hero, he'll lose
the friendship of Ramsey Clark, Angela Davis, and the Daily World.

Didn't Patton die in 1945??

George S. Patton, Jr. did, yes.

Making all of this a little suspect.

Why? Patton had a son named George S. (Who took command of the 2nd
Armored Division in 1974.)
Old January 31st 04, 03:51 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"cypher745" wrote:

George Smith Patton, Jr.
1856-1927

George Smith Patton III
[U.S. Army General]
-1945

Brooks, please note the the use of III.

Your elaborate family tree appears to need some editing:

From the beginning of http://www.generalpatton.com/biography.html

"BIOGRAPHY OF GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.
One of the most complicated military men of all time, General George
Smith Patton, Jr. was born November 11, 1885 in San Gabriel, California."

Have a good day.

Heh.
Old January 31st 04, 03:52 AM
Jack G

For a full description of LBJ's Silver Star Mission see "Means of Assent" by
Robert A Caro. The Silver Star Johnson got was a gift from Douglas
MacArthur and was most assuredly not deserved. (Johnson was a congressman
from Texas at the time).

Jack

From: "S. Sampson"

Date: 1/30/04 1:53 PM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Old January 31st 04, 04:53 AM
Kevin Brooks

"cypher745" wrote in message
. com...
Brooks,

Here is a link to my original source:

http://members.aol.com/dwidad/pattonped.html

And another one from the Patton society

http://www.pattonhq.com/pattontree.html

They both show the General patton of WWII fame as being the III.

They are wrong. Again, check your sources. Just because some yahoo has
incorrect information and posts it on a webpage does not make it right.
"Brassey's Encyclopedia of Military History and Biography", pp. 762-765 has
the correct idenitification as "Jr". The freaking US Army lists him as "Jr"
(www.knox.army.mil/center/g3/museum/gspatton.htm ). Then there is:

Ayer, Frederick. BEFORE THE COLORS FADE. PORTRAIT OF A SOLDIER: GENERAL
GEORGE S. PATTON, JR. With a foreword by Omar N. Bradley. Boston:
Houghton-Mifflin, 1964. 266 p. 940.54092 Aye.

Unless you think Omar Bradley did not know who he was? You, and your
sources, are wrong...get it?

Brooks

Old January 31st 04, 05:50 AM
cypher745

Brooks,

I think that we are both right.
He may have gone by Jr, but have been the third George Patton, or have gone
by Jr, and really have been the II.

If you look at the family tree from the Patton Society, you will notice that
his father's birth name was George William Patton. He later changed it to
George Smith Patton. The key Question here is when did he change his name?
If he changed it before the birth of our WWII hero, then his name is George
S Patton III. If he changed it afterwards, then his name is George S Patton
II with his grandfather being the first.

Technically this means, that the only way he could be a Jr. was if he was
indeed the III. Since, if his father's middle name was William at the time
of his birth he would not really be a Jr. You need to look no further than
our President and his dad to see that this is indeed the case.

Main Entry: 2junior
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, n. & adjective
1 a (1) : a person who is younger than another a man six years my junior
(2) : a male child : SON

As such the term Jr. would not apply between a grandfather and a grandson.

If you look at the source

Old January 31st 04, 06:07 AM
John Keeney

"cypher745" wrote in message
. com...

Main Entry: 2junior
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, n. & adjective
1 a (1) : a person who is younger than another a man six years my junior
(2) : a male child : SON

As such the term Jr. would not apply between a grandfather and a grandson.

Sure it could, common usage.

Old January 31st 04, 07:15 AM
IBM

"S. Sampson" wrote in

[snip]

Eleanor Clift has done a pre-emptive strike on the Republicans:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4114162/

Eleanor Clift....
Oh ahm a shakin' in mah boots.....

The Worlds Uncensored News Source