The Mustang Suite is done!

Old January 12th 04, 10:22 PM
Jay Honeck

I carried a WWII Army river crossing big (physical size) Outboard from
the Philipines to Japan in a P-51. Pieces in 'hell hole' in front of
tail wheel, behind armor plate inside canopy and on my lap.

Also had the wings (guns and ammo spaces) filled with green bananas
for my very young daughter.

I swear, Big John, half the time I think you just make this stuff up. Then
I realize that NO ONE could make up stories like you tell! :-)

The other half, I simply marvel that any one person could have done so many
exciting things!

Everyone remarks that starting this hotel must be an "adventure," but it's a
walk in the park compared to what you've seen and done.

Thanks for sharing the stories...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 13th 04, 07:24 PM
Big John

Jay

Your right. I have lived through an exciting era of aviation and
participated directly in 'some' of it. First bird I can remember was a
Jenny. From there to the Concorde (which I have flown on) and now the
F-22 with it's super cruise (which I would love to fly).

One of my classmates was deeply involved in the start of the Space
Program and am friends of several astronauts. I originated the Head
On, Fighter Interceptor Attack, back in the '60's. Raised the Pk to
over 95%. Was Air Force Adviser to the first ANG SQ to be given access
to nuclear weapons.

Mundane items, had a CFII SEL before getting old age medical problems.
Had a manual gear, turbo Mooney, built in Oxy and fuselage tank (6.5
hrs fuel), dual Nav Coms with ILS. (No GPS as not available then).

Lots of AF activities in Central and South America and Far east.

Would I do all the things over. Hell yes )

With my back ground I don't need to embellish the truth. The 'Hanger
Flying' I do is for the enjoyment of the current crop of jocks )

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

All that being said, I've kissed the Blarney Stone and am from Iowa

On your hot tub in a 'Spam Can'. If it is a blow up type then could
be folded and sat on and carried with no problem so those who made a
joke of it weren't thinking off the wall which is sometimes required.

Old January 13th 04, 07:46 PM
Big John

Jay

One more. Met and visited with Pancho Barnes (one of the earliest to
be issued a pilots license) who owned the Bar (and ????) at the end of
the R/W at Edwards. The place where Yeager partied before hurting his
arm the night before breaking the sound barrier.

An aside. Edwards tried to close Pancho down so they could extend the
R/W. She called Washington and talked to some of her old time buddies
from the early day of flying and Edwards did not extend the R/W G

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Old January 13th 04, 08:21 PM
Jim Weir

Happy Bottom Riding Club

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 14th 04, 02:07 AM
Dave Hyde

Big John wrote:

An aside. Edwards tried to close Pancho down so they could extend the
R/W. She called Washington and talked to some of her old time buddies
from the early day of flying and Edwards did not extend the R/W G

Further aside, they salvaged a bunch of stuff from her bar when
it closed/burned/was abandoned/whatever. For a time there was a
room in the EDW Officers' Club decorated with the stuff. I was never
there when the room was open, but several times found a sympathetic
bartender who would let us in. As good as most museums I've seen.

Dave 'footprints on the ceiling' Hyde

Old January 14th 04, 02:30 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:07:35 GMT, Dave Hyde wrote:

Further aside, they salvaged a bunch of stuff from her bar when
it closed/burned/was abandoned/whatever. For a time there was a
room in the EDW Officers' Club decorated with the stuff. I was never
there when the room was open, but several times found a sympathetic
bartender who would let us in. As good as most museums I've seen.

It's kind of a corollary to the Aviation Museums thread...good collections
of memorabilia that's on display in non-public venues. The Aerospace
Corporation has a neat collection of Jimmy Dolittle stuff on display in one
of their buildings (Dolittle was a company officer).

Ron Wanttaja

Old January 14th 04, 04:48 AM
John Ousterhout

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:21:20 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

Happy Bottom Riding Club

At Oshkosh 2004 it will be announced that "The Happy Bottom Ridiing
Club" will soon be a Major Motion Picture. Chuck Slusarczyk will star
as Pancho Barnes.

Here are some photos from Chuck's screen test:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ouster..._as_pancho.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ousterj/chuck.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ousterj/chuck2.jpg

- John (Lights, Camera, Action!) Ousterhout -

Old January 14th 04, 04:57 AM
John Ammeter

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:48:03 -0800, John Ousterhout

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:21:20 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

Happy Bottom Riding Club

At Oshkosh 2004 it will be announced that "The Happy Bottom Ridiing
Club" will soon be a Major Motion Picture. Chuck Slusarczyk will star
as Pancho Barnes.

Here are some photos from Chuck's screen test:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ouster..._as_pancho.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ousterj/chuck.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ousterj/chuck2.jpg

- John (Lights, Camera, Action!) Ousterhout -

After looking at that last picture I can only guess at what
the guy in back of Chuck is doing.....

BTW, is Chuck getting in that airplane or wearing it??

John
Old January 14th 04, 05:42 AM
Big John

DAve

The Riding Club served big drinks and bigger steaks G

Believe there was a fire but never heard the true story from my
friends and Classmates stationed there. Happened well after I left the
program I was involved in.

One night I was eating diner after drinking at bar and talking to
Pancho. 6 or so gals who looked like they were starlets from Hollywood
walked through the room and disappeared ???????

Never could get the story on that but always had my surmises G As I
remember I was told "you don't want to know".

On your postscript. Were you ever picked up by your drunken friends so
you could put your footprints on the ceiling???? Used to be a ritual
of passage G

Did you ever get up to "Red Mountain' or had it closed?

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Old January 14th 04, 01:50 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , John Ousterhout says...

ROFL!!! Geez I forgot about that airplane testing episode!! That was the hardest
plane to get into I ever "tested" .I have to say tho Pancho does look like me
LOL!!

Will I really win an Oscar ??

Chuck(the Red Baron ) S