IFR ticket vs. professional training (MD, PhD...)

Old January 1st 05, 07:18 PM
Roger

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:07:12 GMT, "G. Sylvester"
wrote:

Most flight instructors I've known
get ****ed if you question their authority. Could be because most of
them learned by rote the stuff that they're teaching and couldn't defend
it if they tried.

Most likely.

hehehe. I'm extremely demanding of myself (PTS is nothing, I'll be
satisfied when I can fly an ILS down to minimums in turbulence when that
fan up front ain't working, ie when all hell breaks loose). I also

If you are flying the ILS under those conditions in high performance
you can pretty well figure you are going to land a tad short of the
runway.

If the engine quite while coming down the ILS, my only hope would be
to get the gear up. It's one of the reasons I fly instrument
approaches at 120 MPH.

drill the hell out of my CFII with questions. Fortunately, he
appreciates a demanding a student as he said most students don't think
about flying and don't ask many questions. Makes me wonder if people
really take off in 200 foot ceilings, no approach into the departure
airport and one day short of being out of currency.

You forgot , single engine.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Gerald

Old January 2nd 05, 12:47 AM

wrote:

Most flight instructors I've known
get ****ed if you question their authority. Could be because most of
them learned by rote the stuff that they're teaching and couldn't defend
it if they tried.
Most likely.

hehehe. I'm extremely demanding of myself (PTS is nothing, I'll be
satisfied when I can fly an ILS down to minimums in turbulence when that
fan up front ain't working, ie when all hell breaks loose). I also

If you are flying the ILS under those conditions in high performance
you can pretty well figure you are going to land a tad short of the
runway.

Under any conditions, unless you are flying a glider.

The glide ratio of most ga aircraft are about 10 to 1, meaning from a
2000 ft altitude at the marker, you are going to get about 20000 feet
along the glidepath, or about 3.5nm.

If the engine quite while coming down the ILS, my only hope would be
to get the gear up. It's one of the reasons I fly instrument
approaches at 120 MPH.

Even at this speed, I doubt you would get there. Slowing down from
120 to best glide speed wouldn't take that long.

And of course, this is assuming you lose it at the marker or inside
it, a low-probability occurence, I would say. So why bother? Granted
a higher airspeed gives you more kinetic energy to work with if you
lose it, but it seems to me a waste of good fuel.