Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

Old June 9th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

On Jun 9, 10:58*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:20*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

On Jun 8, 11:07*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
For sake of those of us who only own MSFS, let's say a C172.

What does MSFS have to do with anything. This is a pilot news group,
not sim. There are sim groups out there that would be more appropriate
for your question.

MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.

If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Old June 9th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 9, 3:26*am, Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi.

In article ,
* * * * * *Le Chaud wrote:

Again, this isn't rocket science, but I suspect that other students,
like I, had misconception of how it might work, even though it is
written in the book how it should work.

A student who's actually sat in an aircraft and carried out the pre-flight
should have little doubt as to what moving the trim wheel actually does.

In the Warrior I fly, we're taught to put in full back elevator, then wind
the trim through the limits of its travel, watching the trim tab to ensure
it moves as it should.

That's interesting. How do you see the trim tab fromm the cockpit?

I've been in Tomahawk and DA-20. I did preflight on DA-20, but didn't
test trim.

Similarly, in the 'Aircraft General and Principles of Flight' exam we have
to sit in the UK, the operation of trim is expected to be understood.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 9th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

On Jun 9, 10:25 am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On Jun 9, 12:34 am, Tina wrote:

Le Chaud Lapin wrote wrote:

Spent 30 minutes at pool yesterday discussing with professional
metalworkers best way to weld a complex joint for important element of
prototype of what would be considered a wing.

Such things take time, and still, I do not know if it will work.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

to which I would point out that in 2008 most engineers when
considering structures operating at general aviation speeds and
stresses would be thinking of composites and molding complex shapes,
not in terms of bending metal and welded joining.

This presumes that you know what the welds are for, which would be
difficult, as the welders themselves do not even know at this point.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

I would point out

1 there are few structural elements of G A airplanes that cannot be
done very effectively in composites, aned complex shapes lend
themselves to molds, not welds

2 if you were seeking advice without disclosing to those whose advice
you were seeking the parameters of concern, you have shown yourself to
be not very competent as an engineer.

I'm glad you don't work for my husband, but you'd have to be an
excellent fraud to survive in our real world for very long. If you
demonstrate those shortcomings so clearly here I would worry about
your career choice. I know it's your choice and decision, but I hope
you're in a position where mistakes will likely not cause great harm.

Good luck in any event.

Old June 9th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 9, 9:34*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.

If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.

I disagree. I've never had a student have trouble understanding trim.
I think this is just something that is confusing for the sim guys. As
such it is more approporiate for a sim group, not a pilot's group.

-Robert, CFII
Old June 9th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 8, 8:54*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

Spent 30 minutes at pool yesterday discussing with professional
metalworkers best way to weld a complex joint for important element of
prototype of what would be considered a wing.

When you go to look for commerical rated pilots to do the test flight
please cross my name off the list.

-Robert, CFII

Old June 9th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.

If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

You never learned of trim until MSFS and you are going to design an
airplane. Fabulous!
Old June 9th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 9, 1:06*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 9, 9:34*am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

MSFS was the means by which I discovered the mechanism.

If I had learned in actual aircraft, the question still would have
been relevant.

I disagree. I've never had a student have trouble understanding trim.
I think this is just something that is confusing for the sim guys. As
such it is more approporiate for a sim group, not a pilot's group.

I never had trouble undestanding it. My ground school instructor said
what was written in the Jeppesen book and moved on.

I think if the book said more about how it worked, there would be no
misunderstanding.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

F-100 detail Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 26th 07 10:29 AM
Finding "Neutral" Position on Piper Elevator/Trim Tab [email protected] Owning 10 December 7th 06 01:43 PM
Detail pops in too late in FS2004 CatharticF1 Simulators 0 August 27th 03 03:25 AM