Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

Old April 3rd 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Unusual attitude recovery advice sought

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

Hi Barney - not :-) - Rubble.

On Apr 3, 9:00 am, "Barney Rubble" wrote:
That's the best advice. I once got into the start of a graveyard
spiral on a VERY turbulent day when I took my eye off the ball for a
split second to tune the radio. When i glanced back I noticed the
plane was 90 degrees off heading and the VSI was pegged downwards. It
happened in less than 2 seconds, I kid you not. Instinct took over
and I levelled the wings and got the altitude back on track before
the controller even noticed. Boy did I get the cold chills. I was
single pilot in heavy IMC with the rian beating on the windshield,
moderate turb PIREPS all around and minimums below. Not a goot time
to let things slide. I was back on alt and heading before the
controller even noticed.... I'm pleased I practiced UA and smooth
control of the plane.
- Barney

That's damn interesting. Consider a vortex, we see
them as tornadoes when they actually mature and
touch down to the ground.
But suppose only 1 in a hundred, actually become
mature tornadoes and the rest exist in bad weather,
inside clouds that Barney may have encountered.

There is a lot of different kinds of turbulence, that
could appear in seconds as one flys into a vortex.

I've seen plenty of photo's of little titties on the bottom
of storm clouds, (I think they are usually Nimbo Stratus,
but not always), that dissipated.

That gives me an idea for a new instrument,
something like a "stall buzzer".
If a delta attitude occurs, that is NOT a result of an
control input, then that would warn of either a
weather or structural anomally. Fortunately for
Barney it was a weather anomally.

Don't quite know how to build it yet but that's just
application of ingenuity.
Regards
Ken S. Tucker

Good lord, is there nothing you know something about~?

Bertie
Old April 3rd 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

john smith schrieb:

I've seen plenty of photo's of little titties on the bottom
of storm clouds, (I think they are usually Nimbo Stratus,
but not always), that dissipated.

Cumulo Mamatus

Close. Mammatus or mamma is not a cloud, but a special form of the cloud
base. It mostly appears on CBs, but can also appear with any other cloud
form. And yes, it's called mammatus because it resembles mammae, making
it one of the most erotic cloud forms.

So a cumulonimbus mammatus is a cumulonimbus with that special cloud base.
Old April 4th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Les Izmore

One of the most erotic cloud forms?

Can't beat the Cirrus of the Year in the centerfold of this month's
Sensual Meteorology, for my money.

Never made it out of the airport bathroom...

Old April 4th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Apr 3, 11:48 am, Stefan wrote:
john smith schrieb:

I've seen plenty of photo's of little titties on the bottom
of storm clouds, (I think they are usually Nimbo Stratus,
but not always), that dissipated.

Cumulo Mamatus

Close. Mammatus or mamma is not a cloud, but a special form of the cloud
base. It mostly appears on CBs, but can also appear with any other cloud
form. And yes, it's called mammatus because it resembles mammae, making
it one of the most erotic cloud forms.

So a cumulonimbus mammatus is a cumulonimbus with that special cloud base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud
Thanks for the input.
Ken

Old April 4th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 3, 1:00 pm, "Barney Rubble" wrote:
That's the best advice. I once got into the start of a graveyard spiral on a
VERY turbulent day when I took my eye off the ball for a split second to
tune the radio. When i glanced back I noticed the plane was 90 degrees off
heading and the VSI was pegged downwards. It happened in less than 2
seconds, I kid you not. Instinct took over and I levelled the wings and got
the altitude back on track before the controller even noticed. Boy did I get
the cold chills. I was single pilot in heavy IMC with the rian beating on
the windshield, moderate turb PIREPS all around and minimums below. Not a
goot time to let things slide. I was back on alt and heading before the
controller even noticed.... I'm pleased I practiced UA and smooth control of
the plane.

- Barney

Though I have a reputation as a Luddite, I will chime in that an
autopilot is the best friend a Single Pilot flying IFR can possess.

Even if you hand fly most of the time, it helps plenty to hand over
the straight and level chore for a moment to fetch a chart or write
down a frequency (which hardly ever matches what you're expecting
based on the charts).

Dan Mc

Old April 5th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

On Apr 3, 11:48 am, Stefan wrote:
john smith schrieb:

I've seen plenty of photo's of little titties on the bottom
of storm clouds, (I think they are usually Nimbo Stratus,
but not always), that dissipated.

Cumulo Mamatus

Close. Mammatus or mamma is not a cloud, but a special form of the
cloud base. It mostly appears on CBs, but can also appear with any
other cloud form. And yes, it's called mammatus because it resembles
mammae, making it one of the most erotic cloud forms.

So a cumulonimbus mammatus is a cumulonimbus with that special cloud
base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud
Thanks for the input.

Like you;'d know what to do with it,. k00k.

Bertie

Old April 9th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Eamon McKinley" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I'm about a week away from taking my instrument checkride, but I'm
lacking in one area I thought would be a breeze.

So, d00d, how did it go?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Unusual Attitude training flight Jeff[_1_] Piloting 6 September 24th 07 05:26 PM
OT...Flight Sim 2004 Advice sought... Joe Friday Aviation Photos 10 December 26th 06 08:18 PM
attitude?? houstondan Piloting 2 March 19th 05 04:43 AM
Attitude Gyro Paul Restoration 0 July 22nd 04 05:05 AM