Jeppesen skybound

Old May 14th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

Default Jeppesen skybound

On Wed, 14 May 2008 02:02:51 GMT, "Ron A." wrote:

King ties the Jepp update to the gps unit serial# on at least the older
units during the actual download so it won't function even if copied.

King ties the Jepp update to the card serial# - you can move a card
from box to box all day long, but you can't install the update on
multiple cards.
Old May 14th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron A.[_3_]

I guess I mispoke. When I update the gps on the KLN90B, it is a serial port
connection to internal memory on the unit. It does not use a removable card
and the serial# has to be given before the download. I assume it prevents
using their GPSLOADER software download on an other unit with internal
memory.

I haven't used cards on a King unit. I have copied Jepp cards for the
Garmins and they do work as a proof of concept.

Old May 14th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Moore

Peter wrote:
C J Campbell wrote

Has anyone managed to figgure out a fix for this dog?

Complain to Jeppesen. A lot. They need to fire their whole software
development department and get some guys with real-world experience
with some 21st century technology.

Not defending them but they have probably done some anti-copy hacks,
to make it difficult to duplicate the cartridges. Can one just
duplicate the cartridges and share them? If not, why not?

Umm, because it is illegal and wrong?

Just a thought.

Say, how about you work for free? How about you move to a communist
country?

Oh darn, I forgot, there are none left. Imagine that.
Old May 14th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

Ah. The 89B and 94 have removable front-loaded cards with a s/n you
give to the website before downloading. Those cards can be moved from
unit to unit without problem, but with the bizarre file format and the
file/card SN check you can't duplicate the files from the cards to
another card. I presume the same check that prevents the file from
being written to the incorrect card is run on the unit S/N for those
with internal NVRAM.

On Wed, 14 May 2008 12:21:41 GMT, "Ron A." wrote:

I guess I mispoke. When I update the gps on the KLN90B, it is a serial port
connection to internal memory on the unit. It does not use a removable card
and the serial# has to be given before the download. I assume it prevents
using their GPSLOADER software download on an other unit with internal
memory.

I haven't used cards on a King unit. I have copied Jepp cards for the
Garmins and they do work as a proof of concept.

.. .

Old May 15th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Moore

Peter wrote:
Scott Moore wrote

Umm, because it is illegal and wrong?

Just a thought.

Once you get into ethics, this is not a simple argument.

Let's say you have

KLN94 (or GNS430)
KMD550 (or GNS530 etc)
Jeppview/Flitedeck
Flitestar
Garmin 496 (handheld/emergency)

You pay for the same data (more or less) 5 times over. If this is not
unethical then I must be living on another planet. But Jepp have a
monopoly and have everybody over a barrel.

I know many people who work in the software industry and who wouldn't
touch bootleg software with a bargepole, on principle. Yet every one
of them is sick of Jeppesen policies - because the ripoff is such a
blatent "screw you" one.

Not ethics. Capitalism.

If someone is out selling lemons for $100 a piece by the road, you can
arrest them for profiteering, or simply rely on that someone else is
selling them for a reasonable price, or that for some reason lemons
are hard to find, and switch to using limes.

The way capitalism works is by having the vendor set prices according
to his costs, and the customer buy according to what he is willing to
pay, the law of supply and demand. The vendor is the only one who knows
his costs. The buyer is the only one who knows what he can afford. If
the buyer can force the vendor sell at his price, or the vendor can
force a buyer to buy from him, thats not capitalism.

The idea that people who can afford a $100,000 airplane with a $10,000
Garmin installation, and likely pay $4000 per year to annual,
cannot stick a crowbar in their wallets and come up $15 a month is
ludicrous.

What it IS, is, justifying theft of property in your own head so you
feel better about it.